Review: Memory Express - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 32 72.73%
Somewhat Satisfied 7 15.91%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 1 2.27%
Extremely Dissatisfied 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 12:48 PM

I've been a customer for longer than I can remember, at least 2 moves of the south Calgary location. I'd hate to tally up how much I've spent there over the years...
Nothing but great service from them. Lately they're getting more into home theatre, and cameras, but it hasn't detracted from the computer side of things which is why I go there. Prices are usually the best in town, though can still find better on-line from the U.S. especially on cables. 2 thumbs up!

Panasonic TH46PZ80 , Samsung PN50B850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 04:44 PM

Price: Reasonable to excellent for computers/parts, usually a little overpriced on home theater stuff, although they will price match (they have for me).

Strength: Knowledgeable. They are usually enthusiasts behind the counter who often share their own experiences with you and are willing to tell you whether or not all the parts you are purchasing are likely to work together. Some of their computer sales people have been there along time.

They also help you out to your car with the stuff when you have lots of parts, or a big item.

Returns in their time window have been a breeze, haven't tried outside their window.

Weakness: Sale items can sell fast. So often are sold out by the time you see the offer on the website. Limited selections in non-computer items.

They have been really good for me
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-08-08, 07:33 PM
Rookie

My experience

If you don't want to read my whole experience basically don't buy IPR as they are able to use their discretion on what is a replacement. And it wont benefit you.

I purchased a TV at 5pm on 7/15/2012. I also purchased your IPR plan for an additional $319.99 as I was told that although it cost quite a bit it would remove a lot of the hassle in case something went wrong. I was told that if my TV failed and couldnít be repaired in 3-5 days I would receive a tv that had equivalent or better specifications then the one I already owned.

I hooked my TV up and after watching a few movies it stopped working on 8/2/2012. I called memory express on 8/3/2012 and explained the problem to them. I opened a service call with sharp and brought the TV down to Memory Express on 8/3/2012. They could not diagnose the problem and I picked the TV up on 8/4/2012. I set the TV back up on 8/6/2012 watched one movie and had the TV fail again. I called Sharp up and they informed me that they believed it was a main board failure. After talking to Memory Express we came to the agreement that an authorized sharp repair man would come and confirm if the TV was defective. The repairman came and confirmed that parts would need to be ordered and the TV would not be working for some time.

I brought the TV down to Memory Express and was told that I could have a TV that was equivalent. I asked what model. They told me that it was a Samsung instead of the Sharp that I bought. I wondered why this was as my exact model of TV with very close specifications was currently held in Memory express inventory. I explained that I had purchased Sharp specific peripherals that would only work with sharp and that in my opinion Sharp was better than Samsung. I was told that was just my opinion and didnít matter. I tried to explain that I specifically bought a model with Quattron (4 pixel colors as opposed to Samsungís 3 pixel colors) as it gave a brighter 3D image. I was told that this specification didnít need to be met by Memory Expresses IPR program witch states equal or better specifications. I also noted that the replacement TV had a specification of 120HZ and my original TV was 240HZ. I tried to explain that there seems to be a big price difference between the 120HZ and 240HZ TVs. I was told that this is just a made up number for marketing and doesnít really matter. So this was also another specification that would be a severe downgrade. I also noticed that the new TV only had 3 HDMI inputs when my original TV had 4. Having to swap out a cable every time I wanted to switch between my bluray player and laptop sure seemed like a huge inconvenience. Once again this was another specification that didnít need to be met by IPR.

I was starting to get pretty frustrated and asked since you donít have my model in stock anymore why canít you just give me this yearís model from the same manufacture with the same specs. I was told that although that was the new model with the same frame and very close specs that Memory Express couldnít just hand out new TVs because they would go out of business.

I am very unhappy with the service I received. I believe I was either sold the IPR plan under false circumstances or that I am not being properly taken care of by the store manager. Specific details below.

TV I bought: LC-60LE835U
TV They wanted to give me in replacement: UN60ES6500
Specs that are not up to standard with the original TV:
Hertz: 120 instead of 240
Pixel colors: 3 instead of 4
HDMI inputs: 3 instead of 4
Sharps direct replacement for original TV: LC60C8470U
Manager that I dealt with: Peter Lietz

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 09:38 AM

I have purchased 2 full computer's worth of parts from them useing there price match policy and can say its the easiest site to do your price matching with.

you just punch in the price and a link to the item your pming against.

When theres a discrepency they call you. And calling them is always almost instant service times.

Ive had to RMA 1 set of ram with them and it went fine minus having to pay shipping to them.

so an A++ by me.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-08-17, 09:07 AM
Veteran

I also give them a socre of A++. They are always really helpful when I go in there. THey have excellent prices, and I also find it easy to price match with them.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-09-03, 08:33 PM
Rookie

They have good prices, but constant 'not in stock' problems forced me to shop elsewhere. Sales works on commission, and IPR is a big cash cow for them. Friendly staff, but their horrific retention on salespeople makes it hard to deal with the same person over and over again.

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-11-11, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Memory Express Edmonton North 13629 - St. Albert Trail Edmonton, AB

Bad customer service at Memory Express Edmonton North 13629 - St. Albert Trail Edmonton, AB

The customer service always been terrible at this location and keeps getting worse. The staff is arrogant. They have no value of the customer. They don't even return a good morning. I purchased $900 worth of equipment. A couple of days later I wanted to return one item because it did not fit my need. I walked in the door with the item in my hand and wanted to acknowledge somebody that this is a return, so there will be no complications afterwards. There was two employees behind the till chatting, one of them looked like the manager. I said "Good Morning". No body answered, not even any sense of acknowledgment. I was thinking about returning the item and buying more stuff but I returned it and walked right out. Rest assured Memory Express will never see another penny of mine, I don't care if they are giving it away. I am sorry I have spent the amount of money with them that I did over the years. B-COM is my computer source from now forward.

Tags
memory express , online retailer , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in