Review: AV4U - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 1 100.00%
Somewhat Satisfied 0 0%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 0 0%
Extremely Dissatisfied 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: AV4U

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at AV4U.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:
  • What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-09-30, 01:48 PM

Thumbs up My Order and Experience with AV4U

Here is a summary of my experience with AV4U Canada.

Was looking for a HDTV to fit into my entertainment system (37 inch max) and after doing my research determined that I wanted a Sharp LC-37GP1U. The major retailers in Calgary usually have their sales during the start of September so I began looking at them in advance to see who carried the TV and at what price point.

Problem.

None of them carried this model. Some didn't carry Sharp at all. The weird part was that one of the retailers' American site carried the model but the Canadian store wouldn't "special" order it in. Was beginning to wonder if I would have to settle for a a LC37D62U (not as many inputs as the GP1U).

Looked at the Sharp Canada website and they listed the model so I assumed they have to sell it somewhere in Canada. Did a few different google searches and stumbled across the AV4U Canada website. Not only did they carry the LC37GP1U but their price for the LC37D62U was $50 cheaper than one of the Calgary retailers' listed "sale" prices. Even better shipping to your door was free.

Problem was there weren't many reviews of the store to be found on the web (this is how I first discovered this Digital Forum site).

Thought about it for a bit then decided I would take the plunge and order it.

Placed the order online late Friday Night.

Monday morning they phone and leave a message with my wife thanking us for our order and stating it should arrive Thursday via UPS. Tuesday when it shipped they email the tracking order information with UPS. UPS had a one day delay in their shipping but because we could track it we were aware of the delay and planned our days accordingly. Friday night the TV arrives at our door. Zero problems or defects. Now I just have to figure out whether to get Bell, Star Choice or Shaw for my HDTV feed. This forum has proved to be the most useful source of info for this next step.

In summary my ratings of AV4U are as follows:

Selection- Very Good. Doesn't carry an ultrawide selection but does carry some items normal retailers don't have.

Price- Very Good. Better than normal retailer's sale prices. Also note if you register and create a client account you may be able to negotiate a price less than their listed online price. I know friends that have gotten spectacular employee prices at stores they work at, but apart from them the prices at AV4U are about as good as a normal person could get.

Customer Service- Excellent. Didn't have any problems so didn't get to fully test this out but received both a verbal phone call and personalized emails. (not just some autogenerated computer receipt).

Convenience- Excellent. Can place the order from home and have it delivered to home for no extra cost. (Contrast this to one of my colleagues at work who was up and waiting in line at 6:00 AM for 2 hours to buy his TV at the "big sale". They didn't ship and he still had to drive back another day to pick it up. LOL.

other questions you might ask

Warranty- Yes
Insured Shipping- Yes
PST- No. Not for buyers in Alberta.
Shipped from- Concord Ontario
Expected shipping time in Canada 4 business days.
Would I buy from them again- Yes
Have I recommended them to my friends and coworkers- Yes

Travis
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

This retailer has come up several times lately and I want to pass on some information for anyone reading this. The company is not an authorized dealer for the products they are selling. This means they are selling Grey Market products.

This means for many products, such as Panasonic LCD's and Plasma's, the warranty will not be honoured in Canada.

Here is one example of a member being told specifically by Panasonic which was confirmed to me by a PR person from Panasonic

Last edited by hugh; 2007-10-25 at 07:34 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 03:13 AM

That is interesting about the warranty as that was not my understanding when I purchased my TV.

The following quote was on their website before I purchased my TV and is still there as of Oct 25, 2007

"AV4U does not provide products from grey market sources. We are fully authorized to sell and service the brands that are listed on our site. All products are sourced and supplied with Canadian warranties. Should the unfortunate situation arise where you require service, AV4U staff will be there to assist you until the problem is solved to your satisfaction."

Are we talking about the same company?

Are they misadvertising on their website?

What was your source of info?

Thanks for the heads up. I have taken a print screen image of the web page with the quote just in case it ever becomes an issue down the road.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-11-03, 01:57 AM

I reviewed my Mastercard Bill for my TV after writing the above review and comment.

The information on it is pertinent and thus warrants an addition to the original review.

Despite being purchased from the AV4U.CA website the credit card payment goes to Dynamic Digital Technologies in Richmond Hill Ontario.

Dynamic Digital Technologies is listed as a dealer for Panasonic TVs on the website referenced two posts above but Av4U is not.

Addition. I have just checked Sharp Canada's website and Dynamic Digital Technology is listed as a dealer there whereas AV4U is not. I assume if the actual bill payment goes to an authorized dealer then the warranty should hold.

The exact wording on the credit card statemetn is "Dynamic Digital Techno Richmnond Hill" So I guess I don't know for sure if it applies both to Technology and Technologies.

Last edited by Tragelsvie; 2007-11-03 at 02:10 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-11-07, 10:45 PM

Tragelsvie, you should contact Sharp and ask them if your TV is under warranty. They should only ask you the serial number of the set, and they should know where it comes from and if it's grey market or not!

thanks for the info.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 11:48 PM

Was able to register my TV's warranty at the sharp.ca website.

Used the serial number provided and listed the dealer as was worded exactly on my receipt which contained a few more letters than my credit card statement "Dynamic Digital Technolog"

Currently according to the website my warranty status is listed as "In Warranty"

Also of note the address listed on my receipt is 1455 16th Ave Richmond Hill Ontario. This corresponds to the address for Dynamic Digital Technology which is listed as a dealer on the sharp.ca website.

Dynamic Digital Technologies which is a listed Panasonic Dealer has an address listed as 1450 16th Ave Richmond Hill Ontario. It would be interesting to know if people who buy a Panasonic through AV4U.CA get their payments directed to that store or not.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-18, 07:34 PM

Thumbs up AV4U Response

I've been looking at these guys for a Panny TH-50PZ800. Wasn't sure about them from what i read on this forum, so i emailed them to find out how they work. This is what they responded:

"AV4U is an online buying group with authorized Dealers across Canada. We will search our members inventories across the country to see who has stock and we process from that members inventory. This insures you (the customer) will receive the full manufacturers warranty on any product you purchase. In this case, we would send the sale through Dynamic Digital Technologies, as they are an authorized Panasonic reseller. Your credit card order is processed at their location and shipped from their warehouse. Your invoice comes from Dynamic Digital and would be your "proof of purchase" should you need any warranty work done in the future."

So should i pull the trigger?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in