Review: A/V Deals - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 7 63.64%
Somewhat Satisfied 1 9.09%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 1 9.09%
Extremely Dissatisfied 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-12-31, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: A/V Deals

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience with A/V Deals

This is NOT a discussion thread so please limit yourself to one post which includes your review.

We welcome the input and opinions of all members whether they are good or bad, however, please note that this thread is NOT for rants. Whether you had a good or bad experience with this vendor we want to hear about it but in an OBJECTIVE manner.

If you post a rant or childish comments like, these guys "suck" or they're all a "bunch of idiots", then your comments will be considered trolling and your post will be deleted.

When you post, please try to include the following information:
  • What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-01-10, 06:40 PM

Got my Panny plasma from them in nov. 2005. No problems at all and fast delivery. They mention it has full manufacturers warranty. Anyway I took a 4 yrs extended warranty. Now Panasonic has a 5 yrs.
They keep less models than some other shops but they keep the best ones IMO. Of course I saved the PST. I would reorder anytime from these guys.

Panny TH-50PHD8UK, Denon AVR-4306, KEF iQ9/3/6c/PSW3500, Cogeco DCT6416, 880/ PS3 adapter, PS3 320GB, Tritton Axpros
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 02:13 PM

Tried to purchase a projector from AV deals over internet. I phoned and asked the shipping schdule and was told in a couple of days. Days later I found my credit card hasn't been charged so I phoned to check the status again. I was told they were trying to locate one but not sure availability. After repeat asking, I was directed to a impatient cold women and said to me: It's not likely to find one and we can cancel your order!

If I didn't phoned, I will be kept waiting forever.

Days later I bought same model from Quebec Acoustic. Got it 2 days after my order.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 07:37 PM

Ordered a Sanyo PLV-Z5 on 28 Dec (internet order) while they were closed for Xmas. They re-opened again 8 Jan and called me 9 Jan to confirm credit card. Shipped 10 Jan and I picked it up (in Halifax) 12 Jan!!! The free HDMI cable (not included in shipment) apparently is on back order and will ship later. There was no damage in shipping (Purolator) and the unit works great! I'm very pleased with their service.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-01-25, 03:55 PM

As a follow-up to my previous post, A/V Deals confirmed shipment today for the back ordered HDMI cable.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-02-16, 07:57 AM

I had almost the exact same experience as blacklight when i ordered a wall mount for my tv. I had to repeatedly call them to find out the status (it was back ordered or they were getting it from the US, something like that). When i mentioned it would have been nice if they had let me know it was going to be delayed the same 'cold woman' harshly told me that if i had a problem they could cancel my order.

That said, i did recieve the mount a few days later, it was as ordered and the price was the best i could find in Canada.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-03-04, 09:25 AM

I ordered a Sansus articulating wall mount from them. It took about a week to get the order confirmed, and a week to get the mount up from their US warehouse... another 4 business days to have it ground shipped Fedex to me.
In fairness to AVdeals, they state on their website they prefer to communicate by email (in which they were responsive for me). As I had not dealt with them before, I didn't really have any expectations to measure against. I get the sense it is a very low-overhead operation, in order to get these low prices (ie they don't have "operators standing by", or absolutely everything in stock).

However, they could not be beat for the price. And the savings more than offset the delay for me.

Bottom Line: Considering the trade-off in Speed vs. Price, they provide an excellent value. I would not hesitate to order from them again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-12-06, 10:00 AM

Thumbs down Personal Experience with AVDEALS.ca (and U.S. shopping info.)

Based on a single experience I also found AVDEALS promptness in replying to email contact to be exemplary. HOWEVER, the responses were little more than to say "this is the way it is and it's not something I control"

I noticed their attractive price on their website for a SANUS wallmount. It was listed at $473 with free shipping. I had noticed that on many U.S. sites the retailer was forced to advertise a price of $599 but indicated they would show a lower price at 'checkout' (as low as $325 USD).
I sent an email to confirm the $473 price and asked if they were under the same restricitons for Sanus pricing. The response from Thomas was that their price was $511. I had saved the page with $473 but when I did a new search it was now $511 on their site.
I made a further inquiry to understand the coincidental price change, that followed my query expressing interest in ordering. The only information in the replies was to state that: " Our prices are fixed" and ".... "I'm not responsible for pricing. If you don't like our pricing you can purchase the unit elsewhere."

I plan to order from a U.S. retailer. There is still a good saving after duty (6%), shipping to Canada ($36) and brokerage charges. < NOTE: brokerage fees are larger than shipping costs but can be avoided with 'self brokerage'.>

To be fair, this was a single experience. However, it seemed to me that responding to a query on price with an overnight price change, then stating that; "our prices are fixed" lacked credibility. A response indicating I can buy it elsewhere is, at best, unecessary and possibly speaks to service quality.

Raising prices to encourage supporting Canadian retailers seems unusual. At the original price I would have waived the U.S. savings to buy from a Canadian retailer.

* I indicated to AVDEALS that if they saw inaccuracies in my description of this experience I would edit or remove any 'seller feedback' I provided.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 02:47 PM

Tom responds

Alan, it's dollars and cents. Our CDN competition sells this for $800.

When you see price adjustments, we're just trying to adjust for the crazy fluctuations in the CDN dollar. The CDN dollar went from $1.00 US to $1.10US, then sub $1.00US. When the CDN dollar goes up, we lower the price and when the CDN dollar goes down we raise our prices.

Before importing from the US, confirm shipping, brokerage, and duty. Expect $150, plus or minus, to get this mount to your door, then don't forget about the mount itself, *and* the cost your CC company hits you with to perform the currency conversion.

Also, when ordering from the US, your protection is limited. If the unit is damaged or defective, you're on your own.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by hdplasmaguy; 2008-01-09 at 03:11 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 12:13 AM

Thumbs up

Very pleased with my first experience with these guys. I phoned Monday (during lunch hour) to inquire about the "Hot Link Pro" ir repeater. I was told they had them in stock at their warehouse, so I pulled their web page up and ordered. Hoping it would arrive by the week-end to finish my project, the Fed-ex guy was at my door the next morning! Two thumbs up!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-04-01, 04:03 PM

Sanus TV Bracket

I ordered a Sanus Plasma TV Wall-Mounting bracket. They said that they would provide a tracking number in 3-5 business days, and they did. Within one week, I received the item.

The problem is that Fedex beat the hell out of it. I will now see how they deal with freight damage. I continue to be amazed at the attitudes, of the low-lifes who handle freight, toward other people's property.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-04-04, 01:26 PM

Purchased my Epson Home Theater 720 projector from the late last year. The staff were good and I even went and demoed both that projector and the Sanyo Z-5 to allow me to make up my mind. Even better was they had stock at their office so walked away with it same evening.

No complaints personally with service and price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in