Review: Monoprice - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 160 89.39%
Somewhat Satisfied 16 8.94%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 2 1.12%
Extremely Dissatisfied 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 2006-12-23, 01:28 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I always keep my orders small (around $25-30, definitely under $50) to avoid the fees, duty, taxes, and the delay which comes with the "processing". I got "dinged" once out of 4 times and that was the only order over $50.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 2006-12-29, 02:27 AM

I've found the same thing. The CBSA official policy is to charge duty and taxes on anything over $20CDN but there appears to be a little leeway with that amount.

By the way, only $8.56USD to get a 6ft SVGA cable shipped to Canada. An unbelievably good price!
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 12:40 AM

I just received my first order from Monoprice. I've never ordered from these guys before but there seemed to be many happy customers on DHC. I ordered on Jan 7th and received it in my mailbox today Jan18th. 10 days total. The order was shipped from California to Calgary.

The order was $35 and change. I was not charged any duty fees.

I was very happy with it and the cable worked fine (HDMI to HDMI 3ft). I need a couple more cables and I'll definetly order them from Monoprice.

ihdtv

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 06:20 PM

HDMI switch

I just received my third order from Monoprice ,, and everytime shipping has been very fast 5-8 buisness days . The cables and switch was well packaged . I love my litlle manual HDMI switch as i have not seen anything else on the planet available for this cost ! Never been hit with duty either .
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-01-25, 06:43 PM

I am fortunate to have an address in the US and live close to the border. They are super fast. Normally two day maximum.

Awesome prices,excellent service and great products!
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 01:20 PM

Did two orders with them recently and was very pleased.

o The online setup is very good. Easy to search and find what I want and the shopping cart setup is excellent since it provides the shipping cost right there without having to start the checkout. It's really easy to get the full price with shipping.

Lots of payment options, including Paypal. I often have some kind of balance in Paypal from selling surplus stuff through Ebay and it's nice to be able to use it.

o Delivery was about 1.5 weeks (working days) which is exactly right for US Post airmail. There is no delay in getting the shipment out the door there.

o Packing was good. One shipment with 3 cables came in a box, the 2nd with 2 cables was bubble enveloped. Did the trick.

o Delivery was to my mailbox, no extra fees, etc. I got 2 HDMI, 1 HDMI to DVI and 2 S-video with audio cables for $39.74 CDN total with shipping for 2 packages. If they had been in 1 package the shipping would have been less as well.

o Quality looks to be very good, and they work great.

Very impressive. The only reason someone in Canada may shy away from using them is the airmail time, otherwise they have it down pat.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-02-09, 01:49 PM

My review for monoprice is overdue. I made two separate orders with them. one was at the end of December 2006 and the other was made January 1, 2007. My first order came about two weeks into January. It got 2 HDMI, 1 component and 2 toslink cables. They all look to be of excellent quality and fit inputs well. The price to my door was just amazingly low being less than a ¼ of the price I would have to pay for cheaper made cables at Wal Mart.

My second order contained mainly more of the same types of cables along with a 3x1 toslink switch. The box was crushed in shipping at some point and the toslink switch was cracked around the housing. I emailed monoprice with a question about this and their return policy, but got no reply. I opened up the switch and the optic cables it uses to switch was fine. I kind of realigned the cracked plastic housing and screwed it back together. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work absolutely fine. I'll update if it doesn't.

Despite the cracked up toslink switch, I'm still extremely satisfied with monoprice basically due to price and the quality of the cables. The switch was so cheap it doesn't really matter. The cables I bought with it are fine.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 05:02 PM

Ordered my sub cable @$11US/sent out Mon 2/5 got it today 2/13. Price is right. Delivery as stated. I'll go this route again.

BTW, delivered straight to the door with no $5 CanPost charge.
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-02-20, 05:34 PM

I ordered a 6' component & 6' HDMI on Feb 6th and received today (Feb 20th). Delivered to my house with no customs charges. BTW I noticed on the customs sticker the order value was listed as $10. I am impressed with the quality of the cables and would definately order from MonoPrice again.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-02-20, 07:45 PM

I just placed an order with them on a well known auction site and saved about 40% from their site price. I have ordered 2 years ago and they cables were inexpensive and did the job.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-02-21, 12:19 PM

Monoprice is the best!

Monoprice is my favourite online store! I wish they would sold more stuff so I could shop there more often.

The reasons I like them so much are:

- fair shipping prices. They don't try to gauge you on shipping like some other stores. It usually costs only a couple bucks to get your cables shipped to Canada. This encourages small orders which ensures no duties at the border. I've ordered many times from them and haven't paid duty yet.

- excellent cables at a low price. So far I have not had any problems with their cables.

-great customer service. I got a 10ft cable instead of the 12ft that I ordered once, and got a new 12ft cable shipped to me after I notified them. They did not ask for the 10ft cable back.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-02-24, 09:04 PM

I just thought I would update on the toslink multi-switch that was mentioned to be crushed in my earlier review. All this thing has to do is pass light and it does. All three "outs" on the switch produced sound in my receiver when tested.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-02-28, 07:02 PM

Ordered around $300 USD worth of gear, including shipping (mostly cables and connectors, and a wall mount for LCD. Shipping for mount takes up half the shipping cost of $70) from monoprice, using express shipping. It has yet to arrive, but tracking showed that it has already got through customs (4 business days only so far--6days in total). I am prepared to pay about 5% customs tax, GST, and the Canada Post charge, which will put the price around $400 CAD. But, considering that a wall mount costs upwards of $300 from FS, The savings are huge.

BTW, 1 day after I ordered, monoprice emailed me about 2 of the cables I ordered, which showed as in stock on their site, but really wasnt. So they refunded the price of the cables, and shipped 2 other cables (lower quality) of the same length for free.

This is my first experience with them, and it's a good one.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-03-12, 06:36 PM

Got my HDMI cable works great for the price of A Mocha coffee. What else is there to be said
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 2007-03-19, 12:40 AM

I order from them once a week, and I'm always satisfied with the service. As for shipping, I had my stuff shipped to Canada a couple of time, but delays were a bit long and since I'm not far from the border, I now have all my orders shipped to Champlain,NY and shipping is LIGHTNING fast!!!

I discovered Monoprice.com through Digital Home, many thanks, I'm now very competitive in my market.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in