Your Brush With "Canadian Celebrity" Stories - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Your Brush With "Canadian Celebrity" Stories

Last week, I was shopping for groceries in Niagara Falls, when I came across one of my favourite 1990's-2000's VJ's from MuchMusic and BPM:tv - he was stocking shelves at a local grocery store!

My wife and I were trying to figure out if it was him, so we asked some random question where something was in the store - and of course, he had the accent.

Kim Clarke Champniss

I always wondered where former VJ's moved on to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Doubt it's him.

That is a long commute to go from Toronto to Fort Erie.

He released a book less than a year ago. In 2018, he received a Canadian Screen Award nomination for Best Writing in a Lifestyle or Reality Show for his work on the Juno Awards of 2017.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-18, 02:50 AM

I don't know if he counts as a celebrity, but we ran into CP24 meteorologist Bill Coulter outside our local LCBO last year. He seemed friendly enough.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-18, 09:57 AM

I used to fly a lot for work. Over the years, I bumped into a number of people in the waiting areas and on the planes. Celebs that come to mind:

André-Philippe Gagnon
Scotty Bowman
Lloyd Robertson
Brian & Mila Mulroney. This was the day when the Florida Supreme court decided there was not enough time to recount votes. This was about hanging chads and George Bush was declared the president as we waited. Brian and I stood next to each other watching the news feed in the waiting area in disbelief.

The best though was a group of WWE wrestlers that were flying to Halifax for their next gig. They kind of took over the plane, served people their drinks and meals and were a riot. They were very well behaved and great entertainment.

Phil
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-02-18, 06:44 PM
Premium Supporter

Random brushes with a "Canadian Celebrity"...

At a Heart concert in Toronto:

Alannah Myles (singer-songwriter) she was sitting in a row in front of me but she left early as so many were after her for an autograph, this was well before the age of selfies

At a Sum 41 concert in Toronto:

Avril Lavigne (singer-songwriter) she was surrounded by a security team everywhere she went in the venue

At different U2 concerts in Toronto:

Chantal Kreviazuk (singer-songwriter) the band gave her a shout out from the stage, she was standing near me in the VIP section, although I was actually on the other side of the VIP "barrier"

Marnie McBean (three-time Olympics gold medallist)

Louis Ferreira [AKA Justin Louis] (actor known for Motive; SGU Stargate Universe; Breaking Bad; Durham County)

Piers Handling (Director and CEO of Toronto International Film Festival)

Customers from when I used to work in Brampton for The Beer Store in the 1980s / 1990s:

Fred Patterson (best known as co-host with Howard Glassman of the Humble & Fred morning show, which had been heard on Edge 102, Mojo 640 and Mix 99.9 in Toronto) semi-regular, we used to rib him when he played songs we didn't like, he would often admit he didn't like them either

Bruce Cockburn (singer-songwriter) liked Wellington County Brewery beers; one time he came into the store to ask if he could put up a poster for his missing dog, I don't know if it turned up or not

Andy Bathgate (played 17 seasons in the NHL for the New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins; passed away February 26, 2016 aged 83) often hung around to chat with other customers that recognized him in the store

Lee Aaron (as a rock singer she had several hits in the 1980s and early 1990s) she was always very pleasant with a nice smile, obviously very different from her onstage costumed "Metal Queen" persona

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in