Review: East Hamilton Radio - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 9 60.00%
Somewhat Satisfied 4 26.67%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 1 6.67%
Extremely Dissatisfied 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: East Hamilton Radio

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at East Hamilton Radio.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-05-24, 04:03 PM

I don't see any recent reviews, people if you’re in the area of EHR definitely stop in and check them out. A lot of fine products and on line, products are not listed but the fliers they post are quite helpful.

sony SXRD, Denon, Szabo, psb. mirage, Antique Sound labs

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 11:35 AM
Veteran

Thumbs up EHR is pretty good

I have purchased most of my audio gear from EHR over the years from the early days in my teens to now....

- with my first Technics (Panasonic) stereo and AudioSphere Research speakers (still have the big monsters but will likely sell/dispose of them soon)
- to my first Dolby Prologic receiver (AudioSource) that had overheating/smoking issues and they exchanged with a new one on the spot
- my first 5.1 receiver (Denon AVR1602) and my awesome Paradigm bookshelf speakers (Titans) and center channel.
- most recently new Denon AVR4310CI receiver and newer Paradigm speakers (ADP190s, Monitor 9s and CC290) (man they are mammoth) except for the sub which I bought on demand at Kromer as I needed one.

I always walk out of there happy as far as getting a good price and reasonable service but some of the sales people are bit rough around the edges but I take that with a grain of salt.

They currently have a 79th birthday sale on right now with their "Balloon Burst" promo where you can get some cash discount off the already reduced prices.

They have very good demo rooms compared to big box stores but their premises are a bit too small to have true demo rooms compared to stores like Kromer or Bay Bloor Radio as they try to cram too much in the rooms. They have a very good Paradigm room if you want to test out their speakers like I did recently.

The only thing I wish was better was if they had a 30 day return policy like the big box stores but I guess this store (and other boutique stores) can't afford to do this because they are too small. They do have a 30 day satisfaction policy which I take it to be to exchange for other products, etc but no refund.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-04-10, 10:43 AM

I have bought a few pairs of speakers from them over the years and received extemely good service! I just wish they were closer to Cambridge...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 03:26 PM
Rookie

I've also had great experiences at EHR over the years. Starting as a child going with my father to get his surround system when it was the newest thing, to myself picking up a new plasma tv there. The thing that they don't seem to advertise to much that should be the biggest positive is their delivery service. Within the city you can have a 42" tv delivered, set up to whatever you have at your house and the box taken away for $60 bucks, and $85 if you bought a tv stand and you want it to be built delivered and set up with everything else. Those prices just can't be beat, coupled with their price guarantee that they will not be beaten, and if you find a lower price they'll beat it! All this came together to help my grand parents get their new tv, stand and blu-ray player delivered and set up by two very professional guys that did a remarkable job. Anyone who says any different about this store must have just wanted trouble, they are the best to deal with.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Recently my Mothers 2 year old Sharp LCD stopped working and she was looking to purchase another tv.
After shopping around on websites, the decision was made to purchase and LG 47LK520.
On the Future Shop and Best Buy websites the tv was on sale for $799.99, regular $849.99. In dealing with these stores the website prices are the same as in store unless clearly marked "web only." Their websites did not state this for this particular tv.
I then went to East Hamilton Radio's website and the exact same tv was listed on their website for $645 claiming regular price is $1099, and they were also running a promotion that ended July 21, 2011, where if you trade in any tv and purchase any LG 1080p, 42" or larger the price would be discounted further by $100.
Naively, I believed that just like most other reputable businesses, the price would be the same at the store as listed on the website and with the trade in the price would be $545. This did not occur.
So I get to the store July 20, which is not local for me, I live out of town and the tv is priced in the store at $749 with the trade in.
When I mention the website price, the salesman has no clue what I'm referring to, he has to go find a computer so he can look it up for himself.
While I'm waiting, I bring up the website on my blackberry and the model number and the price is just I saw earlier, LG 47LK520, $645.
The salesman then comes back and claims the ad is referring to a different tv. I then show it to him on my phone. At this point someone yells from upstairs claiming the website lists a different price because the trade in is already factored. So I guess I didn't need to lug in the old tv to get $100 off.
I was running for work and at this point my mom just wanted to get out of the store so she agreed to purchase the tv anyway. It was still $50 cheaper then the more reputable websites at Future Shop and Best Buy.
When I got home from work that night and checked the East Hamilton Radio website, the tv was at $799.
Now that I think about it, this is not a very good way of doing business and may be considered false advertising. If a store is going to list prices on their website consumers should expect to pay the price listed on the website unless off course clearly noted that store prices are not as listed on the website.
Overall, can't complain about the tv, but the price is definitely not as expected and I feel I was totally misled about the pricing and the promotion.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-02-27, 04:18 PM
Rookie

False Advertising

Found a TV on EHr website for 80" Sharp TV price was advertised at $3349.00 went immediately to the store to purchase the TV salesperson said they had sold out of all of them and it was the end of the line. Went to competitor to get them to price match they pulled up the website said they would honour the price just had to check stock at the store, when he called he was told there were 2 in stock. When he verified pricing he was told that was an error. They immediately changed the website, they should honour the pricing when I called and spoke to the sales rep and then his manager they refused.

Poor advertising this was not my first purchase at EHR but will be my last, poor service not hard to see why the little guy's are disappearing no more intergrity, I run a business and honour to a fault pricing that we have made.

Tags
east hamilton radio , retailer , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in