Review: Infonec Computers - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 8 57.14%
Somewhat Satisfied 4 28.57%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 0 0%
Extremely Dissatisfied 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2007-04-03, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: Infonec Computers

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at Infonec Computers.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:
  • What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I have bought three computers from the Mississauga location. The pricing is always among the best of any smaller computer shops that I have frequented and service is great.

I've always dealt with Tommy who is the also the Mississauga manager who will always give you good advice.

I recently bought a great rig from him and he made some very good suggestions that I took.

Highly recommended.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 12:21 AM

I buy most of the parts I need to build computers for myself and my friends from Infonec's Markham location which is just north of Steeles and West of Warden.

They do not have as many customers as, say Canada Computers, so the service is more personal. I bought a midrange MSI Video Card once from Infonec that started having problems after a few months of use. I returned it to Infonec and since they know me, or at least since all the purchases I have made are recorded on their computers, they took it upon themselves to send MSI the video card and get a replacement. They then called me when the replacement arrived so I can pick it up.

I also order stuff from Infonec that is hard to find elsewhere in Toronto. For example, I asked them to source out a Zalman GT1000 PC case and they got it to me after a few days at a price cheaper than if I were to order it online at NCIX.

I also highly recommended Infonec.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 02:01 AM

Pricing is probably not quite as low as Cda Computer, but service is much better.

My current PC was built by Infonec. Recommended.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-03-02, 10:06 AM

I have bought a number of items from this retailer but only at their Markham location
here are a few of the most recent items.
ATI 2600pro
Logictech kybd/mouse combo
Intel E6600
Seagate SATAII 320GB
Asus SPDIF add on bracket(one of the few places that actually had them in stock for a very reasonable price)

The service is good. But you should note. I usually know what I want and have done my reviews and price comparisons before hand. So when I go there I am just looking to pick it up and be on my way.
I got them to price match on the Kybd+mouse... but it was only a few dollars but they did it... but I called before and asked before showing up.

I am fortunate as I have access to many retailers in the area inlcuding TD and Cda comp. Both of those are great retailers as well.

Lately Infonec tends to be the place I check first as I find their regular prices very competitive.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-20, 03:35 PM

I am a regular comp/electronics software. I choose Infonec all the time, good prices, good service. Better than NCIX/CanadaComptuers imo
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-06-28, 05:22 PM

Infonec is the best computer shop in Toronto, and maybe even Ontario

I absolutely love shopping at this store. The brother of one of my friends told me about this place about 5 years ago and ever since then I practically only shop at Infonec for all my major computer components. I think this store is clearly one of the best kept secrets of Toronto computer shops, and their prices, knowledge, and service are much better than other computer shops. Personally, I feel that CanadaComputers is overrated, and if you actually compare prices on computer parts, you'll see that Infonec is either similarly priced, or even cheaper. Plus, Infonec will also usually price match if some part you want to buy from them is cheaper at another computer shop; they've done it for me several times.

I bought my first gaming system from the Toronto location of Infonec about 3 years ago, and everything still works great today. I chose the parts from their store, and they built my system at no extra cost to me. I normally try to do my research before I buy any computer parts, but the staff at the Toronto location actually recommended a smarter buy for the power supply on my computer, and even today I'm still thankful that I bought the one that they recommended. If you're not entirely sure what you're buying, you should ask Infonec's staff for help. Not only will they be happy help you incredibly well, but you'll also save yourself a lot of time, money, and hassle by doing this. I ask them for help on choosing products all the time, and I consider myself to be a guy that's very knowledgable when it comes to computers (I help my friends and family select the right computer parts for their needs).

Every Infonec employee that I've bought from has always been extremely knowledgable, and no one has ever tried to screw me over. In fact, when I went to the Markham location today to purchase the new ATi Radeon 4850 video card, I asked the clerk if this card would run on my pci-e 1.0a motherboard (since this card is compatible with pci-e 2.0, but might not be backwards compatible with 1.0a). After explaining to me that the new video card I was buying would be quite bottlenecked by my current motherboard and system, I decided to pass on the card and go home to research on the Internet more about what he said. Sure enough, he was right, he was also right about the fact that this card might not even work on my current system. This guy saved me the $185 that I was about to spend on this card (it was on sale today for $15 off, even though it was just released!!!). He also saved me potential hassle and loss of time. My experience today is why I've decided to sit down, use the time that I've saved by not getting the video card, and write this review of Infonec. I'm not ready to upgrade my system just yet, but when I am, this is the store that I will go to first. Price is normally the first thing that I consider when I go shopping at a computer store, but when a store sacrifices an instant sale to make sure that I make the best product decision, that's something that I think is really classy and I appreciate it a lot.

I always reccomend Infonec to anyone that needs computer parts at the best price, and one of my friends that I recommended this store to still prefers to buy his parts from them today. I haven't had a bad experience with this store, and I've never regretted a purchase that I've made from them. If you haven't checked out this store yet, I recommend you do so...NOW!!! at www.infonec.com (the website is pretty much always up to date). I even check out Infonec for items that I could buy at FutureShop or BestBuy, such as cables and game peripherals. If you're looking for a particular part, or need some help, you actually might be better off to call them first. If the product is something that's not as popular, they may need to order it in, but this will save you a trip going down to the store for nothing (I've learned this the hard way!!!)

Funny enough, I'm not sure if a lot of people actually know about this store. If you know about CanadaComputers, then you need to know about Infonec. I'm big on comparision shopping online, and I recommend that if you have the time then this is something that's great to do if you want to save some $$. I love the way Infonec does business and I hope that their store does very well in the future and continues to be a great success.

Some of my system specs (in case you're interested):

Asus A8N-E Motherboard -- Socket 939
AMD Opteron 180 CPU
Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX
2GB DDR OCZ RAM (I think it's OCZ's Premium series)
Antec TruePower 550 watts PSU
...and... a Logitech MOMO force feedback steering wheel!!!
ALL purchased at Infonec (the wheel was $50 cheaper than at FutureShop or any other big electronics retailer when I bought it)

...if you're a gamer you can probably see why I'm looking to upgrade my computer system. Hahahaha.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-06-30, 01:43 PM

I have posted a positive review of Infonec above but I must say the last time I visited their store (Markham) just to check out what's new left me with a bad experience.

This mostly was due to a new (first time I saw this guy) salesguy who wasn't friendly at all. As is my custom I just casually go around the store to check out and was looking at the new computers they had with opened sides that allows the customer to see the components inside. I was curious to find out how the hot the hard drives were getting in one of the cases so I touched the case (to ground myself) and felt the metal part of the hard drive (it was real warm).

I guess the new guy was eying me and immediately told me to stop. I did, and not wanting to start a commotion (there were other customers in the shop) I proceeded to walk away and check other stuff out. This guy however followed up and asked if I was going to buy anything... when I told him I was just looking he told me to step out.

That kind of left a real bad taste in the mouth for me as I was a loyal Infonec customer since they were still their much smaller store at Markham and McNabb. I did buy computer related items one more time a couple of weeks later from them but this time they no longer verified my name on their computer and just proceeded to hand me the receipt.

Long story short, I will still check out the prices at Infonec but to me they are just the same as other stores that has grown bigger... and much less friendlier.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 12:11 PM

Good experience with Infonec. Good price, good items, good email communication. Fast delivery, arrived on third business day after ordering, from their warehouse.

I found their checkout procedure somewhat long, but it worked fine. They are pretty strict about the details. Their purchase terms are kinda scary, but I've heard this is the stick, in practice they're actually quite decent. (If you disagree with them, want to think about it, it empties your cart. Arrrgh!!)

Last edited by cfraser; 2008-07-16 at 03:04 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-07-18, 07:48 PM

And one EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED online order to balance it out... So it's even, like I never heard of 'em...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-07-25, 11:18 PM

I am writing this because I feel kinda bad about slagging Infonec above. If a moderator wants to remove this and my previous post, that's fine with me. Or perhaps this LOOONG explanation will prevent the same thing happening to somebody else.

First of all, nothing wrong with the goods, pricing, service etc. The problem was with the shipping. I did not get to pick it. It turned out to be by UPS, not necessarily bad in itself, but it seems the shipping party doesn't know the diff between "Signature Required" and "must be signed for" (so the person I spoke with claimed). They ship the first way, which means it must go directly to a person. I have had individual packages worth $kkk shipped from all over the world via UPS (shudder!!), and NOT ONCE has anybody specified Signature Required before (usually you sign the ticket and package gets left the next trip). Are Infonec's customers generally unemployed, live with their parents, etc.? Yeah, I'm being facaetious, but still... It is a problem when there's nobody at home during the working day, and more of a problem when YOU TAKE TIME OFF WORK and UPS doesn't come in the 3.5 hour mid-day window they claim they will, nor even come in the next 2 hours (whole workday shot). After 3 tries, package goes back to UPS depot (far away!) and it stays there for 5 business days, then back to sender. During all of this, once UPS receives a package, there is NOTHING anybody can do to change the receipt requirements. So your box is in limbo.

EXCEPT! There is something you can do, trouble is nobody told me until after a week of playing catch the UPS man (the local guy is REALLY good, been around here for years, makes lots of extra tries). You can have the package sent to a UPS store (you must make own arrangements beforehand), and for ~$5 they'll hold it for you. That's what I did. Got box 9 days after first delivery attempt... It took longer because the UPS guy made several additional attempts beyond the normal 3. So kudos to him, but I had already made arrangements with the UPS store so wasn't even going to try to receive it at home anymore after the so-called "final attempt".

So depending what you buy at Infonec, and if you work, it may be better to choose Canada Post. Or CanPar or Purolator. I didn't get to choose UPS, and was kinda annoyed when I got the shipping notice since it is the most troublesome shipper IME (I have NSR for the others, so no problem, UPS doesn't offer that). A long chain of pathetic circumstances like I described probably doesn't happen often, but the point is it's totally unnecessary for Infonec to have initiated it. I mean, they're not sending me divorce papers, or serving me, or sending a pouch full of diamonds, so no need to be so restrictive.

The ordered items were exactly as described and decently packed. LOL
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-02-09, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
I have posted a positive review of Infonec above but I must say the last time I visited their store (Markham) just to check out what's new left me with a bad experience.

This mostly was due to a new (first time I saw this guy) salesguy who wasn't friendly at all. As is my custom I just casually go around the store to check out and was looking at the new computers they had with opened sides that allows the customer to see the components inside. I was curious to find out how the hot the hard drives were getting in one of the cases so I touched the case (to ground myself) and felt the metal part of the hard drive (it was real warm).

I guess the new guy was eying me and immediately told me to stop. I did, and not wanting to start a commotion (there were other customers in the shop) I proceeded to walk away and check other stuff out. This guy however followed up and asked if I was going to buy anything... when I told him I was just looking he told me to step out.

That kind of left a real bad taste in the mouth for me as I was a loyal Infonec customer since they were still their much smaller store at Markham and McNabb. I did buy computer related items one more time a couple of weeks later from them but this time they no longer verified my name on their computer and just proceeded to hand me the receipt.

Long story short, I will still check out the prices at Infonec but to me they are just the same as other stores that has grown bigger... and much less friendlier.
I'll echo cyclo's comments about the RUDE sales associate at the Markham location. He is just plain miserable. I haven't the faintest idea why he got a job in customer service since he evidently hates dealing with people.

Back in December I purchased some parts from Infonec for my recent computer build (the other parts were purchased from CC due to having better prices). Upon entering the store, I handed my parts list (I do all my research up front) to a sales associate. He proceeds to hand it off to said rude associate. Before getting my parts from the back room he was on the phone yelling (seriously) at another customer that was calling for a price quote. He tried to cover up after he got off the phone. Some excuse about the guy having an echo on his line and it was frustrating to deal with him. lol. Anyway, he goes and get's my parts, and as he's getting each one I pick them up to ensure they are brand new. The video card box looked really beaten up, and I asked him if it was new. He says to me in a really nasty voice, "look, all our parts are brand new. We do not sell used parts!". So I proceeded to open the video card box only to see the the seal had been broken on the antistatic packaging and that cables were missing. Yup, it was used. I kept my cool, and asked if he could please get me a new card. When I tried to negotiate a little bit off the purchase price, I encountered more attitude. It's as if I was asking for money out his pocket. Ugh. And after completing my transaction I moved aside and began to do up my jacket and gave my bags one last check to ensure that all my items were there. He sees me standing there, and says to me in a nasty tone "goodnight, David!" (translation: please leave now).

My experience with this guy was so poor that I do not want to step foot in the Markham location again. My experience at infonec was much different than what I encountered at the Kennedy and Richmond Hill CC locations. At CC, the staff was friendly and polite. Really, is friendly and polite too much to ask?

Anywy, that's my infonec review.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-05-30, 02:54 PM

I've purchased both online and in person (usually at the Markham store). Generally very pleased with the experience, and I love the fact that they would hold an item at the store to be picked up without actually having to put down at deposit. I purchase quite a bit for both personal and company use. Prices are pretty inexpensive.

Regarding the CR that is miserable, I think he's just used to the Asian custom from HK & Taiwan. Anyone who has shopped or is from there know what I'm talking about. They hate browsers that they think have no intention of buying anything. I've seen this so many times when I lived there. Not trying to make an excuse for him, but just saying he hasn't adjusted to the custom here.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-26, 05:26 PM

Terrible

This company is OK until you buy a defective part from them...that's when they show their true color.Nonsensical arguments, a $25.00 charge to prove the item defective, finally no time to even look at the item (a motherboard in my case), sending the item back to the distributor because they have no time to test it (2nd motherboard), and, worst of all, no refunds on items found to be defective.......this company is a scam, plain and simple.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 11:22 PM

Beware of used items.

as the previous person said, its a good place to buy stuff until you have a bad experience. they have pretty good prices but you just have to make sure what you buy is brand new, sealed... bought an asus rampage II gene motherboard, was just going through the accessories after a couple months and realized that the socket protector thing was from foxconn seems like they gave me one that someone returned. Also bought a hard drive from them which turned out to have 300+ "power on hours". and a video card, sapphire 4890 with a broken seal. These are 3 out of 12/13 items that I bought.

So if you like their prices, make sure you have a way to make sure that the stuff is sealed.

Tags
infonec , retailer , review , toronto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in