Review: Trutone Electronics - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 12 42.86%
Somewhat Satisfied 2 7.14%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 5 17.86%
Extremely Dissatisfied 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-03, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: Trutone Electronics

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at Trutone Electronics.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:
  • What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-03, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up

I've been buying my HT gear from the Trutone location in Mississauga since Sept 1992. I've bought receivers (Sony, Onkyo), speakers (Sony, PSB), HDTV's (Hitachi, Sony, Samsung), VCR's (Sony), processors (Anthem), amps (Anthem), A/V racks (Sanus), remotes (Harmony) and tons of cabling (Ultralink, Audioquest) over the past 14 years. I know what your thinking....that's alot of stuff.

Everytime there's a new gizmo or if I think my system would sound better if I had this particular item, Trutone gives me good advice. They will tell me straight up if it's worth it or not. They even let me demo equipment if I'm undecided.

All the staff are professional and knowledgeable. Bob (the owner) and Paul H (manager) have a great crew at Trutone. That's why I take all my friends there when they need electronics. So far nobody has complained. Everyone is happy with the great prices and especially the fantastic service they get.

I recommend them 100%.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-04, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Count me in as a very pleased customer. When I go into Trutone I deal with Jeff L. who I have been dealing with for 10 years. (he previously worked at a competitor)

Jeff has always given me great service and is always friendly and helpful. I have sent many friends there and they too have been given top notch service.

Their prices seem very competitive and the store has a wealth of equipment on display.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-11, 04:24 PM

Bought a Sony RM-AV2100 from them about five years ago. Straightforward and none of the games I find that the bigger electronics retailers love to play (extended warranties, upselling, bundling etc.)

When the time comes to upgrade my HTiB setup, Trutone is one of the shops I will hit.

NefCanuck
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-11, 08:05 PM

Ditto to those who have spoken highly of the people at Trutone. I just purchased a Denon AV receiver and some Paradigm surround speakers there from Jeff. There wasn't any of the sales malarkey that I receved at some of the other stores. Their pricing was as good as at other stores, too.

Cogeco; Motorola 6208 STB;
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-05-11, 02:31 PM

Visited the Miss store several times when I was speaker shopping last year (and I was very close to buying Paradigms). However, I can't say I was impressed with the service or their willingness to do beyond the minimum to demo speakers. It's fairly close to work so I went on weekdays as well as weekends. Almost everybody seemed to be busy on the phone every time and it took effort to get someone's attention. I didn't enjoy the interaction with their folks in the showroom - they just didn't seem to care enough.

Nice showroom though - lots of stuff.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-12-05, 10:54 PM

Mediocre experience at Etobicoke Store

I live within walking distance to the Trutone store in Etobicoke (Kipling and Bloor - just north of Six Points Plaza). I was very excited when they opened about a year and a half ago. Being so close, I would visit on average once or twice a month.

When they opened, I met Wayne, a very good salesperson. When I had them, he answered my questions about TVs, Home Theatre, etc. When I just wanted to browse, he gave me the space to do so. Last boxing day, I purchased my 50" Panasonic Plasma from Wayne. So that's the good.

Unfortunately, I later found out that Wayne works at the Mississauga location. When Wayne was not in, I spoke with other salespeople. Last spring, when I asked Paul about upconverting DVD players, I received an elitist attitude and snarky remarks that I couldn't tell the difference between a good and bad upconversion. I asked about the forum posts that I had read about the macroblocking issue on some upconverting players. He said that garbage was often posted on the forums. Neither an informative nor pleasant experience.

In the summer, I had decided that I was going to buy the Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-EZ27). Initially, they did not have it in stock (though it was on the Panasonic.ca website). No problem, I would check back another time. Well, over the next 2 months, I called and visited various times. After the 6th visit to the store (and numerous phone calls) to find out when they would have it stock, I gave up. I eventually bought the Phillips DVDR3575H. Not the same quality but at least it was in stock and had a HDD. As an aside, just before I saw the Phillips in the Best Buy flyer, I called Star Electronics. They had the EZ27 in stock and gave me a price on the phone. How does that service compare?

Not impressed with my experience in the summer, I finally stepped back in the store to look at speakers to build my Home Theatre. I have a pair of older Paradigm monitor speakers so I am hoping to find Paradigm speakers to complement my front speakers. Trutone is one of few Paradigm dealers in Toronto. My experience went something like this:

I approached Bill about finding out which home theatre speakers were in the Paradigm Monitor series and listening to them. Bill mentioned that, among others, there are the ADP-190/390 rear channels, the CC-190/390 centre channel, and the PS-1000 subwoofer. I explained that, from my correspondence with a Paradigm tech, I am interested in the ADP-190, CC-190, and PS-1000 to match my Paradigm 5se MKII.

I saw the prices on the speakers (ADP and CC) and Bill gave me the retail price on the PS-1000. After asking, Bill said that he could negotiate a price on a speaker package. I asked what the price would be on the 4 speakers. He asked when I was looking to buy. When I responded this month, he declined to give a price. When I said what if I wanted to buy them this week, he responded "that's what you are going to be like". I responded that if he doesn't want to give me a price then that's his choice (bad service but it's his call).

I explained that I know that Future Shop was having a "big" sale (Friends & Family sale for 19 hours only from Sunday 5pm to Monday noon). I would have to make the decision that Sunday night in the store. Hence, I needed to know what the price on the Paradigm speakers so that I could compare to the Future Shop (Energy) speakers. I asked whether he would give me a price. He again declined.

So I am left with a bad impression on various occasions. In this last experience, I wanted to know Paradigm's value proposition (sound and $) but the salesperson was not that helpful. I don't if I've got the wrong idea or if I did something wrong. If you have some feedback, I would appreciate if you would PM me (this is not the place to provide it). Anyhow, I find it hard to recommend the Trutone Etobicoke store. I'll be shopping at Kromer Radio for any Paradigm speakers.

Last edited by garymwong; 2007-12-05 at 11:00 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 12:12 AM

Smile Follow-up to my post about experience at Etobicoke store

This is a follow-up to my previous post about the Etobicoke store. Soon after posting my experience, I received a PM from Fuzzy32 who gave me his/her experience at the Mississauga store and also provided a contact (Paul H - not the same Paul that I had met at the Etobicoke store). With that feedback, I decided to visit Paul H. at the Mississauga store.

A friend of mine who has had experience in retail explained to me that customer service is all about the recovery - one can't avoid bad things happening, it's the recovery that makes the difference. I am glad to say that Paul has made a good recovery with great service and value.

On Sunday, I went in the store to listen to various Paradigm speakers about an hour before they closed. Paul explained that the speakers that interested me were not hooked up. It would be best to arrange another evening to audition the speakers (BTW, I neglected to mention in my last post that Bill did not offer to hook up the speakers that interested me, not then or later). He also provided some good advice about which rear speakers to buy given my wonky room for home theatre. I left the store excited that I'd finally get a chance to audition the speakers.

We arranged to audition the speakers tonight (Thursday). After setting up the speakers (another salesperson had sold one of the speakers), I auditioned a few sets of speakers. Paul pointed out the differences between dipole and directional rear speakers. Paul (and one of his colleagues) also advised me on which speakers would best match my older pair of 5se MkII. Finally, when it came to buying the speakers, Paul gave me a fair, if not very good, price. While there a couple of things to still sort out, I am confident that Paul will sort things out. I left the store feeling pretty good with the advice and price that I received (I was also really excited about having the Paradigm speakers).

All in all, I would say that I received good service and value at the Mississauga store. If I could change my vote, I would change it to Extremely Satisfied. I should also note something that Paul explained. The Etobicoke store is much smaller and is geared towards custom installation. The Mississauga store is much bigger and geared towards retail sales and some custom installation. Fair enough. However, if you are going to have a storefront, then you should be prepared for retail sales.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-02-02, 01:30 PM

Well last Friday was trutones last chance ill never set foot in that place again ..It all started about 2 months ago i went in and talked to Robert about a Sonora audio stand they had the 5 shelf on display looked great so i wanted the sixth shelf ...it looked like an extra shelf could fit in easily so at the same time i enquired about getting an extra glass as well as the shelf bolts after some enquires by robert ...no problem ordered shelf picked up a few days later ...great purchase ...couple weeks later back in shelf not in nor bolts ...christmas being close, big rush on, too busy ...no probs start chatting about HD-DVD upon roberts recommondation purchase Toshiba A-35 none in no problem come back in few days later pickup dvd player ....great purchase ....Apart from the glass shelf and the bolts taking a month im getting a great feeling about thes place and robert .....
Couple weeks later walk in enquire about shelf still not in ....i was told ill get on it itll be a couple days at the same time i enquire about a pair of Studio 100,s ...robert says hell move them to another room for me ...one which uses the electronics that closely matches mine ...so we arrange a time to come back......well that day comes i walk in and i catch robert as hes leaving to get lunch at the time we arranged my audition ...next i go into the room and the speakers arent moved the studio 60 are there ....so i listen to them well after one song not what i wanted . i say its ok ill listen to them in the other room ....well after 20 mins of screwing around the lights dim and the music starts after a couple of songs he asks what i think .....then says ive been playing another speaker i cant get the studio 100 to work ....????????
So after being there for over an hour i still havent heard the speakers this was supposed to be an arranged audition ...at least i got my shelf still no bolts .....heres where my stupidty takes over ....i then ask if we could try it again ....now this isnt rocket science its moving two speakers from one room to the other and i never asked for this to be done it was offered ...
Well the day is here its also snowing like a bugger ....its ok trutone is on the way home and since its nasty out theyll be dead ....so no excuses .... i arrive as i go down the stairs place is dead robert says oh **** ....i knew ..i walked into the room speakers not moved, roberts gone into the back to get the cart ...i tell him dont bother just get me the screws he takes them off his floor model ...he apologizes ...kinda late i say apology for the first time your second chance was for a recovery .....obviously doesnt give a **** about my business ....not like i was a tife kicker in the two months i spent 1500 and was looking at 3000 for speakers and after that a tv .....robert knew this
Sorry for the verbal diareaha however this was just yesterday and im still pissed about it .........rant off
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-02-02, 08:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Bob had a bad experience with Trutone. I hope they get a chance to "recover" with him one day.
My experiences with Trutone _were_ (last time I did business with them was about 4 years ago) quite positive.
I dealt with Neil(great guy) and ended up buying my Sony KV-34XBR800 tv from him at a very good price, and then returned to buy my Sony CD/SACD carousel player later the same year.
They were also very accomodating when I was audiitioning the speaker lines they carry, however due to my listening preferences - I ended up purchasing DefTechs from BayBloor, and then MonitorAudios from Tabangi.
I would still recommend them at par with BayBloor, and above Tabangi and Kromer.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-02-20, 12:01 PM

My Bad Experience

As with bob1964, I will never set foot in that place again.

I purchased an Epson Cinema 500 at the Mississauaga location 4-5 years ago. Prior to that, I had purchased two RP91 dvd players from them and they offered fair pricing on those. I also went there to enquire about ISF services before the Epson purchase. I asked the sales guy what exactly would they be doing for the $500 or so that I was quoted. He went on a diatribe about how he can't give that information out. I informed him that I was just asking what they would be doing for $500 in more detail, not a step by step listing of what and how. Idiot. Needless to say, I passed on their ISF services.

Despite that, I still went to them to purchase the projector. I was given a very good price, and I purchased a 4 year extended warranty as well for $500. It wasn't in stock but they said they'd call me in a few days when it comes in. I didn't hear anything from them and called them myself to check on the status. They tell me that it is in and ready to be picked up. The fact that they didn't call me to tell me it was in was my first hint that something was amiss.

My issues with them occurred a few months later when I brought the unit in for repair. The unit had developed a reddish tinted area in the projected image (probably a dust blob, but who knows). I was immediately told that I should have just called Espon directly and they would have paid for shipping to take the unit and do the repair themselves. I told Trutone of my previous experience using this service from Epson for my TW100 that resulted in a refurbished replacement. I wanted my original unit repaired. That's why I bought it from a brick and mortar store.

For some reason, the staff on hand that day wanted to see the unit in action. Guess they didn't believe me. So like a fool, I agreed and we fired it up. They still didn't believe me. I told them to turn off the lights. Low and behold, they could suddenly see the defect. Then one of their staff members tripped over the cord in the dark and caused the cord to be pulled out from the unit. It's a miracle that the unit didn't come crashing down to the floor.

So they reluctantly agreed to send it in to Epson on my behalf. Having previously fought Epson over my TW100, I wanted dealer support for this round, that's why I paid a bit extra to purchase from Trutone.

Anyways, several weeks go by. I had to frequently call in after waiting a reasonable time to check on status. It finally came back and I went in to pick up the unit. The store manager who I bought it from wasn't there when I picked it up, but the store owner was there. I asked to check the unit while I was there to make sure it was my original unit. Surprise surprise, it was a refurbished unit. And my lens cap was missing. I was pissed and let the owner know it. His response? "You'll have to deal with Epson directly". I was floored. WTF? If I wanted a refurb, I could have used Epson's service and gotten one back within 48 hrs.

So I dealt with Epson and since the vice president knew me by name from the TW100 experience, they refunded me for the projector. However, I was still out the $500 for the extended warranty.

So back I go to Trutone and deal with the manager. He tells me he'll do what he can. I have no choice but to wait a few weeks. Finally, I am told that I will only be refunded $350 out of the $150 I paid. The rest was administrative fees charged by the 3rd party warranty company. This is for a 4 year extended warranty that wasn't going to kick in for another 18 months or so. Looking back, I should have gone to small claims court.

Basically, my beef is that I wanted dealer support when talking with Epson and the warranty company. I paid extra to get this. I could have purchased the projector from an on-line dealer for a few hundred less. Trutone did not back me up. When the owner of the store tells you to deal with the manufacturer directly for an in-warranty item, why would you ever purchase from that store again?

Compare this to my experience with the manager at Canadian Sound. He bent over backwards to help me with a receiver that was almost two years out of warranty. He had great contacts at Pioneer and used them to get a resolution everyone was happy with. Imagine that, a dealer using his contacts with a manufacturer to help a customer. Trutone could learn a lesson.

Last edited by ferrethunter; 2008-02-20 at 12:06 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-02-21, 04:30 PM
ASA

I went there a few months ago with my cousin because he was looking to buy a new set of floor speakers. All we got was a snotty attitude from the sales people (and were were dressed well too).

We won't be going back there again.

You guys and that "recovery" thing makes me laugh. A buyer shouldn't have to wait for a "recovery" before they get great service. The store should be right on the ball the FIRST time, not the second or third, or...

Oh, and I accidentally picked the first option instead of the last one. (my wireless mouse acted up when I went to click on the last option). So it should be 5 votes for "Extremely Dissatisfied" and only 4 votes for the first one. Can someone please fix that?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-02-29, 08:40 PM
Rookie

I too was very dissatisfied with the service at Trutone Electronics. I was in there a weekend not too long ago, looking at picking up a Denon AVR-3808ci receiver and was hoping to see it in action. Unfortunately, with all the staff on hand, none of them offerred any assistance. What's worse is that one of the employees were wandering around where I was looking, fiddled with some equipment, changed some demo discs, and stood there without even bothering to ask if I needed anything. I waited for about 10 minutes in the store, hoping for someone to offer some help and then I took off disgusted with their snobby attitudes.

I am definitely not recommending this store to any of my friends.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 12:11 PM

Cool Trutone

I was faced with a similar issue at Trutone, so I just took it upon myself to plug in my ipod and begin auditioning. Can't blame the place if they are busy. With so few Paradigm dealers in the GTA - sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I prefer to audition myself anyway - so many dealers have overeager sales people interrupting your experience by trying to push this weeks promo instead of listening to what you actually want.

After a few minutes, Phil (Miss. location) approached and guided me through at least 10 auditions of various amps and speakers which took about 2 hours. I am sure there were a few people in your position throughout that time and I am glad he didnt go off to help someone else in the interim. With Phil's knowledgeable advice and curteous manner, I walked out with a great system. I was even called 3 days later as a follow up to make sure I was satisfied with my purchases. Go across the street and see if you get the same kind of advice and service as you do at Trutone. I can tell you from experience that that would be an unequivocal NO.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 11:30 AM

Thumbs down Not for me.

I was all ready to buy a set of Tanoy speakers. Sent Paul from the Etobicoke location an email asking him if he could hook up the speakers so I could audition them.......never got a reply.

Took my business elsewhere...and will never be back.

Tags
retailer , review , trutone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in