Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox One TV Entertainment in Canada

13K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  j0dest3r 
#1 ·
Do you think Optik TV, Shaw or Rogers cable will come on board to support the Xbox One? There was a quote from M$ saying they wanted to support the broadest range of tv as possible including OTA. I will believe it when I see it. M$ doesn't exactly have a good track record of proper support for TV in Canada. Yes I am still bitter about the lack of support for ATSC in Canada in Windows Media Center and to think the launch of Windows 8 was a perfect opportunity for them to make things right.

So what do you say, are we going to be SOL with regards to TV support with Xbox One once again by Microsoft?

#3 ·
When you say support, do you mean support most STBs using the HDMI-in port in the Xbox One? Or support as in let the Xbox One be a extender for IPTV boxes (e.g. what you can do with Telus), or continue to support Windows Media Center as a extender device?

XM4243 said:
What makes you think MS is going to change the way it supports Canadian users in the next six months?
I don't think Microsoft will change their position. Their support will be imperfect, but it will be better than what you can do using a PS4 or a Wii.

That is, at least it is possible for a Xbox 360 to play live OTA or for the Xbox 360 can act as a extender to IPTV provider's solutions.

I think that the Xbox One has a shot at excellence. If anyone can develop apps for the Windows OS side of the Xbox One, anyone would be able to write "extender" apps for their DVR app of choice. For example, the NPVR author would be able to write a extender app for the Xbox One. This would enable a huge amount of choice.

#4 ·
Yes STBs basically using the HDMI-In or OTA somehow.

So if you are saying 3rd party devs can make apps for the xbox and its x86, could someone then make an OTA DVR that uses a USB ATSC OTA tuner?

What is the deal with devs and MS for the Xbox One? Everyone is crying the blues saying MS has turned their backs on indie devs and are requiring them all to have publishers. If that's the case I doubt NPVR would ever end up on the Xbox One.

#7 ·
Well to audacity's point, what do you mean when you say support? Are you looking for the XBOX one to act as a cable or satellite set top box? (won't happen since MS already sold mediaroom) or are you looking for something much simpler such as the ability to download data into an EPG (might happen) or some type of overlay that might display information (say NFL data) from the net over the TV signal? (might happen)

My point was simply that nothing said to date would lead one to believe that you will find substantially more features in the Xbox One / Windows 8 ecosystem than you would find today in the Xbox 360 / Windows 8 ecosystem.

#8 ·
I just saw say this as part of the Xbox One pre-order Q&A:
Do I need to have a specific cable or satellite TV provider to watch live TV on Xbox?

Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that’s television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box (as is the case with many providers in the US). The delivery of TV is complex and we are working through the many technologies and policies around the world to make live TV available where Xbox One is available.
Microsoft has previously stated that TV will only be available in the U.S. on launch day.

#9 ·
j0dest3r said:
What is the deal with devs and MS for the Xbox One? Everyone is crying the blues saying MS has turned their backs on indie devs and are requiring them all to have publishers. If that's the case I doubt NPVR would ever end up on the Xbox One.
Well, I hear a lot of noise out there, but as far as I'm aware, Microsoft has said nothing about the dev story for the independent app developer. According to Mary Jo Foley that information will be released at Build which hasn't happened yet.

I think the bottom line is that people make a lot of noise on the internet when it's mostly speculation.

Personally I think Microsoft will allow independant developers to make Xbox apps on the basis of statements from years ago (can't find a link to them) about how you will be able to use a set of metro APIs to develop for all Windows platforms. And based on what Microsoft has said so far, I think they consider the non-gaming side of Xbox One to be another Windows platform.

So, I'd put money on independent developers being able to develop for it.

Now, to write software for the "Exclusive" partition, I imagine that requires the typical console dev license which costs real money.

#10 ·
Theres already a rogers anywhere app on the 360, i'm sure that will carry over to the One once its released.

Also from what I've seen with it is its basically take your digital terminal & plug it into the One & it downloads the guide info, then it basically controls the terminal thru the xbox. So basically its just accessing what you already have. Kind of like plugging everything into your audio receiver exept now you'll be doing it all thru the xbox.

I'm assuming that you won't be able to use it as a pvr & if you could i'm not sure why you'd want to with the limited hard drive in the xbox. That's the 1 thing i'm really disappointed with with it. 500 gig & apparently builtin and not upgradeable like the current gen. 500 gig fills up pretty fast on a pvr if you're recording in HD, not to mention the mandatory game installs. I think its really going to be an issue not long after launch for a lot of ppl.

It looks nice & flashy but I think its still a huge disappointment if you're looking to use it for anything but gaming.

#11 ·
That's part of why I am asking questions. How can it be disappointing when it's hard to know exactly what its going to support. Sounds like it will evolve over the life of the console similar to the X360. If its a simple pass-through, why this?

delivery of TV is complex and we are working through the many technologies and policies around the world to make live TV available where Xbox One is available.
I don't know that I'd want to use it as a PVR as previously said 500GB is not a lot of space. Perhaps if those features do come it will be able to record to an external drive. At this point I hope it will continue to function as a media center extender but I have my doubt that will be supported.

#12 ·
spun14 said:
That's the 1 thing i'm really disappointed with with it. 500 gig & apparently builtin and not upgradeable like the current gen. 500 gig fills up pretty fast on a pvr if you're recording in HD, not to mention the mandatory game installs.
You can connect external hard drives to the Xbox One via USB, which is a improvement over the 360.

Especially when you consider that the Xbox One has USB 3.0 which is fast enough to properly support external storage, unlike USB 2.0.

#13 ·
Here's a description of what Microsoft is doing:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/what-it-does

No mention of re-inventing the PVR/DVR - it's all about live TV. The interface to the STB is HDMI pass-through, which means you won't be able to record the signal.

You will be able to split-screen live TV with an app like Skype or Fantasy Football.
The new way to watch TV.

Connect your cable or satellite box to Xbox One and watch all your favorite television
shows right through the console.(1) All your favorite channels. All your favorite shows.
All with the sound of your voice. You can even create your own personal channel
by pinning the shows and apps you watch most. Gone are the days of switching
inputs to watch TV or play a movie. Xbox One can do it all.

1. Supported television tuner or cable/satellite set top box with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).

#16 ·
I ended up picking up an X1 on launch day despite declaring I was going to sit this "one" out until the new year. The One Guide setup crap doesn't even work when you choose Canada. The on-line help suggest you should be able to type in a postal code and select your provider of choice including broadcast, but that option appears disabled at the moment. Ironically however, there seems to be a way to get things working with Media Center. Great post on Neowin today about how someone was able to get Media Center working through X1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.