OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers - Page 72 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1066 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-11-27, 03:52 PM
Rookie

try these guys 905-783-5666 home tech experts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1067 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2016-04-23, 08:17 AM

Installer in Belleville ON

Hi, My daughter lives in Belleville ( south of the train station) and is thinking of cutting the cord. Is there a reliable antenna installer in the Belleville area that she could talk to about having a reliable and economical ( oximoron?) OTA antenna? Thanks chazz
post #1068 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2016-07-06, 10:15 AM
Rookie

looking for a supplier/installer between Chatham and London

Hi,

My mother lives halfway between Chatham and London. (Rodney) She has a 40-foot TV tower with an old directional antenna and rotor that was installed well before digital OTA came to Ontario. She also has an old Channel Master amplifier and a new digital TV. She can receive about 5-6 HD channels reliably but cannot get CBC, and neither can anyone else in the area unless they have satellite. (a fact that makes me crazy, but unfortunately she is smack dab in the middle between the Windsor transmitter and the one to the east, not sure whe that one is located, I'm thinking Kitchener or something) There is virtually no CBC signal in West Elgin county.

Can anyone provide info about an installer in the area who can climb the tower and install a new modern HDTV antenna as well as maybe update the amplifier. (BTW her reception drops to practically zero when not using the amplifier)

Thanks very much.

post #1069 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2016-07-07, 12:54 PM

On the CBC front unless you can get the Windsor station you will be out of luck. The Chatham London and Kitchener towers were reduced to lower power analog transmitters at the time of the digital conversion. Later they were shut down completely due to budgetary constraints and would have been shut down eventually due to technological reasons. Ontario only has CBC transmitters in Windsor, Toronto and Ottawa.

Good luck on your antenna upgrade. The tvfool website should be able to help you with what channels you should be able to receive. I would think some of the US networks and probably a TVO signal.

Here is the tvfool plot for Rodney
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb7e25a711e4

Your are at an extreme edge of the Windsor CBC transmitter. Good luck

LONSat

Last edited by LONSat; 2016-07-07 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added tvfool link
post #1070 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2016-07-07, 02:07 PM
Rookie

Thanks very much for the reply and TVFool report. In reviewing it, I'd say she is lucky to receive what she is, considering the old gear she has.

I think its a complete outrage that the CBC is not available to tens of thousands of taxpayers in the area unless they spend mucho bucks on satellite. Who can afford that when you are on Old Age pension?
Another little example of how we are getting screwed to the wall in so many ways.
post #1071 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 04:16 PM

Anybody know of an Indoor Antenna that would pick up the 3 OTA Digital Channels broadcasting in Thunder Bay Ontario?
post #1072 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 04:30 PM

"Indoor" has new options in our age of HD small antennas.

In days of yore, folks would install large yagis in their attics with broom-stick handles to rotate them inside a clothes closet.

But with the small HD/UHF antenna now, you could just stick one of those "outdoor" antennas between your shirts inside the closet, assuming the compass direction was favourable.

Or with spousal approval, behind a couch or drape.

BTW, I join the chorus of DB4 enthusiasts having put one on the roof a few months ago as a replacement.

Ben

midtown Toronto, DB4e, 60ft RG6, 8dB distr amp
FM: Sony STSA-50ES, Wine.6065, 40ft RG6
post #1073 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 01:20 PM
Veteran

The OP is talking about Thunder Bay, where two of the three local channels are on seriously undepowered VHF low channels (2 and 4.)
These channels are notoriously susceptible to local electrical noise, and also suffe from poor building penetration, so outdoor antennas perform much better, unless the broadcaster uses more than the usual amount of power.
The third channel is TVO on channel 9, which is a bit easier to receive with rabbit ears.

The best bet is to try an FM ribbon antenna or fully extended rabbit ears directly at a window facing the transmitters.
post #1074 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 01:44 PM

I can get TVO Channel 9 with a rabbit ears RCA Antenna. That is the only channel I can get. I have tried a Prime Cables which is just a flat piece of black plastic which I have put on the window but I still can only get TVO. The Flat Antenna is a Cab-DVB-T825BTA.
post #1075 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 08:13 PM
Rookie

SunnyDirect?

Hello,
Does anyone know if this is a good legit company?
'SunnyDirect' and I believe they are located in Ancaster, ON.
post #1076 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 09:08 PM

they are good +
post #1077 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 09:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsspredator View Post
they are good +
Do they still exist? We haven't been able to contact them. When was the last time you ordered from them?
post #1078 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2019-07-29, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robman501a View Post
When was the last time you ordered from them?
A few years ago. Their web site still works and looks updated.

If you don't feel safe, try this place:

HDTV Antenna, OTA Over the Air ,Channel Master,Winegard, Antennas Direct, Ooma and Streaming TV G-Box Q2. HDTV Antenna OTA Experts in GTA Toronto Mississauga Canada cut the cord from cable or satellite
robman501a likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in