2009 F1 Discussions - Please See Post 1. - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 10:06 AM

The reason for the black out is TSN Greed
They have by law ordered the provider be it Rogers or Shaw or any other that might think about broadcasting the race and or Qual. It has nothing to do with anybody else but the Greedy TSN. Why don't they show all the sports they want and leave the racing to Speed.
ITV lost the broadcast rights to the BBC starting this year so there is a new Broadcaster in town.
So far (and this is just my opinion) the BBC broadcast is not as good as the ITV feed was last year and the ITV feed was never as good as the Speed TV Broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 11:54 AM
Veteran

You can't really say TSN is greedy, they did buy Canadian rights after all. It is their right to black out the Speed coverage. As for the reason they air F1, its because it airs in the morning, and as a result never conflicts with other sports. Plus it brings in a decent amount of viewers. It makes a lot of sense for them to. If they didn't buy rights, The Score or Sportsnet probably would. I didn't see the end of the race, so I can't comment on what they did at the end this week. I do know they had Canadian Sportfishing scheduled after at 5:00am ET, so there really was no reason not to stay for driver interviews.

It should be noted that they went 40 full minutes at the start of the broadcast without taking a commercial. That is more than Speed ever would, and more than they did in the past when they were picking up the ITV feed. The transition to commercials seemed smooth this week, usually going after they read of the top 10, or something like that.

And maybe its just personal preference, but I've always enjoyed the British broadcast. They are actually at the race.
post #153 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 01:10 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
They did show most of the post race interview (1st, 2nd, 3rd place), however, they cut away just as they were going back to the winner for his second interview. (The interview came after quite a few commercials, but those were easy to FF through on my PVR).

They did the same on the 8AM replay (I just went to the end of the recording to see if there was anything more that they showed, and they didn't.)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #154 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 02:11 PM

did anyone else notice the green frame flash several times during the race? i found that irritating...

nick leinonen
post #155 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 02:56 PM

yay, normal start times for the next 11 races! not that i mind staying up all night (went to bed at 6am).

jenson extends his wdc lead. can't wait for a normal dry race next week in bahrain. i never thought i'd be doing a not-rain dance, but i just want to see some normal races to get a better picture of where everyone is. i think brawn has .5 sec over toyota/ red bull.
post #156 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 04:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean luc picard View Post
yay, normal start times for the next 11 races! not that i mind staying up all night (went to bed at 6am).
I only made it to 5:30 and had to watch the rest of the race during the TSN2 reair this afternoon.

Yea I'm hoping that we don't have another race with rain this year. I'm sick of them. After Bahrain, its all European races until fall (Singapore I think) and only one more race in the middle of the night (Japan).
post #157 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 04:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
did anyone else notice the green frame flash several times during the race?
Yes I did, but only noticed it once. I tried to rewind to see what it said, but didn't catch it so I just gave up and watched the race.

I don't mind the rain races if there isn't some sort of advantage by "guessing" strategies, etc, which there weren't for this race. The rain is a great equalizer and typically shows the best drivers. Senna, Schumacher, now Vettel...

post #158 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 05:03 PM

TSN did the same thing back when they had the CART/Champ Car Rights and SPEED had the US rights... it was really annoying, SPEED would show it live, but it would be blacked out, and the TSN would show it at 3:30am.
post #159 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The rain is a great equalizer and typically shows the best drivers
thats not really true anymore. red bull has alot of mechanical grip (as opposed to aero grip), which allows them to keep lots of heat in their tyres. high tyre temps are critical in the rain. their unique pullrod suspension seems to work well.

just look at last year: mclaren vs ferrari. ferrari had better aerodynamic grip while the mclaren had more mechanical. mclaren were great in the wet (best of the field) while ferrari struggled usually.

that isn't to say driving style doesn't play a part. hamilton's agressive driving seemed to help, when the track temps were cool anyway. on the other hand, being that hard on the tyres has cost him at many races. button's smooth style, not so much.

btw, supersofts again in bahrain. should suit jenson.
post #160 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-20, 07:19 PM

Shumacher was king of the rain during his time, you could always put your mortgage on him to win.

Anyone hear about Jenson Button nearly getting into a fight recently with Richard Branson over his girlfriend?
post #161 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-20, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Yes I did, but only noticed it once. I tried to rewind to see what it said, but didn't catch it so I just gave up and watched the race.
i took a pic on my phone but the pile that it is, i can't get it to transfer to my pc [motorola non usb one that has a broken connector] is i can find my sd micro to sd adapter i will post the pic. it basically was the same screen they showed during the commercials but just in green only [blue & red missing] and no picture/video in the commercial box at bottom right or in the race view box top left

nick leinonen
post #162 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-22, 12:42 PM

Quote:
i took a pic on my phone but the pile that it is, i can't get it to transfer to my pc [motorola non usb one that has a broken connector] is i can find my sd micro to sd adapter i will post the pic. it basically was the same screen they showed during the commercials but just in green only [blue & red missing] and no picture/video in the commercial box at bottom right or in the race view box top left
I thought that's what it was... I also noticed when I switched to RDS fro the interviews(because they show the whole thing) the color was much better, fliped back and sure enough TSN looked washed out compared the RDS, not sure if it was like that all race, I'll check it out this weekend
post #163 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-22, 12:50 PM

I finally got around to watching some of the alternate recordings I did. One was the Speed HD airing of the race on Monday, which was not blacked out (Rogers). They showed the complete interview, although that's probably not much use to people now. Perhaps it's something to consider for future races - if that's of interest - record the later airings in case they are not blacked out.

post #164 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-28, 10:55 PM

Does anyone know if tsn has the rights for all f1 races this season? If so I can cancel my hd plus service and watch substandard tsn.
post #165 of 330 (permalink) Old 2009-04-28, 11:33 PM
Veteran

Yes TSN has rights to all races this year. However, the Turkish Grand Prix in June will air on TSN2, because the French Open is on TSN. However, that race will also air on Fox in the afternoon, so you can watch it then, if don't mind waiting a few hours to watch it, assuming you get Fox HD. Here is TSN's schedule for F1 this year.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in