CTV Buys original HNIC theme; CBC Holds New Anthem Contest - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

CTV Buys original HNIC theme; CBC Holds New Anthem Contest

Quote:
CTV Inc., together with Copyright Music & Visuals, today announced that CTV Inc. has acquired all rights to 'The Hockey Theme' in perpetuity, preserving the song's legacy and ensuring it will be heard on national television for years to come. 'The Hockey Theme' song will now live on CTV Inc. properties TSN, RDS and across Canada on CTV during coverage of the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Olympics as outlined below.

The deal between CTV and Copyright Music & Visuals was agreed to in principle after the CBC publicly announced last Friday at 5 p.m. ET that a deal could not be reached with the rights holders. Due diligence was completed earlier today.

The song, which was created by Vancouver's Dolores Claman in 1968, will now be used in NHL broadcasts on TSN and RDS beginning this Fall. In addition, CTV will utilize the song as part of its hockey coverage during the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

"The song has a long and storied history in Canadian sports and has become ingrained in the hearts and minds of hockey fans across the country. It is an iconic tune, embraced by Canadians everywhere, and we felt it was imperative to save it. We know we will be in hockey forever, so there's no doubt this acquisition will create value for us," said Rick Brace, President, Revenue, Business Planning and Sports, CTV Inc. "It's an honour and a privilege to own such a cherished piece of Canadiana."

"I am very moved by how so many Canadians have taken the hockey theme to heart. We are so pleased the song has found a new home," said Claman. "Throughout our negotiations, CTV displayed a tremendous amount of respect for my family and the song. 'The Hockey Theme' means so much to Canadians, and we know it's in good hands with CTV."
Smart move by CTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 04:54 PM

Maybe this calls for a complete rebranding of CBC's hockey division, say hello to the NHL on CBC. No one will like be able to keep the two brands apart, you see HNIC, you think of the now old theme, you watch NHL on TSN now, you will think of HNIC immediately

RCA 26" HDTV - (ATSC/QAM Tuner) - 720p/1080i
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 04:55 PM

CTV would snatch the coppers off a dead man's eyes if they still did that. Not that I really care but this competion between the public and private broadcaster is almost laughable.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 05:08 PM

Very nasty by CTV... we'll never hear it again, I don't care what they say. They got it JUST to screw CBC.

When does CTV show hockey??? WJHC's??? Olympics??

I guess TSN does... but why would you play the competitions theme song? It would be like Lost using the Desperate Housewives theme. Like ESPN football using "Are you ready for some football???"

Brutal...
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 05:18 PM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
Ummm... TSN just announced a six year deal with the NHL to broadcast 70 games a year. It's quite opportunistic of TSN to get the theme song. I call it capitalism!
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 05:26 PM

Leave it to CTV to screw something else up. First they buy CHUM and separate (although forced) all the CHUM digi's from CITY TV now we have them yanking The Hockey Theme from HNIC. What else can they buy and end up rending.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 05:30 PM

Quote:
When does CTV show hockey??? WJHC's??? Olympics??
As CTV Globemedia is the owner of TSN, its not the CTV networks that will use the theme, but TSN. As rgto said, TSN has just signed a HUGE deal with the NHL and each game will have at least one Canadian team. I'm sure that majority of people would rather the theme continue to be used for Canadian hockey rather than not at all...

Quote:
...now we have them yanking The Hockey Theme from HNIC
They didn't yank the theme from HNIC...CBC just dropped the ball and kicked it down the street...and CTV was there to pick it up.

Quote:
but why would you play the competitions theme song? Like ESPN football using "Are you ready for some football???"
ESPN does use the Monday Night Football theme.

Sharp LC-52D64U, Yamaha HTR-6160, XBOX 360 w/ HD DVD, PS3, Wii
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 05:34 PM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
Where's all this hate for the CTV coming from? It should be directed at the CBC if anything. The CBC wasn't able to negotiate to extend the contract. They decided to drop the theme song and left it as abandoned property. Now, CBC gets to run their little contest to create a new jingle.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 05:48 PM

I just heard that CTV paid somewhere between 2.5 and 3 million for the song. In the end I'm glad CBC didn't succumb to Delores's demands.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
I just heard that CTV paid somewhere between 2.5 and 3 million for the song. In the end I'm glad CBC didn't succumb to Delores's demands.
Well, they've still got a 2.5 million dollar lawsuit on their hands from her they need to deal with.
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 06:14 PM

Somehow it just won't seem right to be watching a game on TSN and hearing that theme. It is so tied to the fabric of HNIC. It will take years (i.e. a generation) for that association to die.

A bold move by CTV to be sure. CBC (once again) dropped the ball. Dave Hodge, Chris Cuthbert, now this. Don Cherry is next!!

The next thing you know, the whole HNIC rights will be sold to CTV/TSN.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 06:16 PM

All this hate about CTV is because they suck. I still remember being forced to watch the final game of FIFA 2006 on CTV and they screwed it up.

They have the money to overbid everyone else including paying 2.5-3million on the HNIC theme because majority of there programming is American and instead of putting there ad revenue from that into, oh i dont know, Canadian programming, they overbid the competition and don't follow through.

And if it is true that the artist wanted 2.5-3million for it, then I say good riddens and looking forward to the contest for the new theme.

People have to remember that, no offense, at the end of the day it was just a theme song. Theme songs change. Show doesn't.
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 06:25 PM

TSN's hockey productions have been improving over the years and many broadcasts far surpass what CBC is churning out these days.

The song is the best theme song in sports imho and belongs with the best producer of the content.

TSN has stepped up to the plate in every regard for the NHL product from Production Value to HD quality.

Seems fitting to me.

Samsung HL-S5087W | Yamaha HTR6190B | Motorola 6412 PIII | Sony PS3 | Definitive Technology BP's/C1 and Sub|
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 06:48 PM

I couldn't have agreed more djbloo. This is a disgrace. The only reason why CTV was able to bid more is because they generate so much revenues by airing American shows.
I thought that money from simsubbing was supposed to be put into producing new Canadian shows, not buying the rights to an already existing theme song used by their competitor.
That's how they bought TSN and other media companies. They don't care about producing any more original Canadian content at all. What a flippin' joke.
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 07:04 PM

way to go CTV

I love this. I don't care how CTV spends their money, because it is their money. As far as CBC and HNIT ;-) go, I couldn't care less. CBC has been using Taxpayers money to put on HNIT for years. CBC can go the way of the dodo bird. We get enough hockey on other channels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in