Official 2020 F1 Discussion Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-12-18, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Official 2020 F1 Discussion Thread

I'm starting the 2020 F1 thread since the 2019 season is over. Anyone wishing to discuss what happened in 2019 may use the 2019 thread. I'll close that thread soon, but leave it open for now.

I'll leave space below for useful links, tips, etc.

2020 Schedule: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Ey8whglC2.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-12-19, 09:44 PM

Any guess how long we are going to have to wait for F1 TV Pro availability announcement in Canada?
Or do you think TSN will be able to grab another multi-year contract and leave us, again, with plain F1 TV only?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-12-20, 07:30 AM
Veteran

They won't announce it until they have a new deal in place or it's close to the season start and they don't have any prospect of having a deal in place. So it may be a while unless a new TV deal gets done quickly.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-12-20, 12:56 PM

Now TWO Canadian drivers on the grid in 2020. Williams and Team Stroll...
Tridus and buckycat like this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-12-21, 04:27 PM
Veteran

Hopefully Wiliams is actually competitive next year so we don't have two Canadian backmarkers.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-12-22, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
Hopefully Wiliams is actually competitive next year so we don't have two Canadian backmarkers.
small steps. small steps.....
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-01-25, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
https://www.thestar.com/autos/opinio...er-series.html

Quote:
...things will remain pretty much status quo as far as TSN’s coverage of our favourite sport is concerned. The full Formula One package will be back – Friday practice, Saturday qualifying and 4-5 hours of coverage Sunday that will include the actual race. TSN’s F1 coverage will begin with the Australian Grand Prix on March 13.

A TSN spokesman added that European Formula 2 races, which were added to the TSN schedule last year and preceded F1 races on race day, would be back again in 2020.
buckycat likes this.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-01-27, 09:47 AM
Veteran

Any word on if F1 TV Pro is coming to Canada this year? Nothing's changed on F1.com on that front.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-01-27, 03:40 PM

I'm still expecting the Pro package of F1 TV to become available in Canada this year. So far, since Liberty Media bought FOM, every TV deal made had F1 TV Pro made available. Liberty Media is even ready to lose money to make sure they can offer the Pro package (remember the switch from NBC to ESPN in the US).

I can see the new deal between FOM and, presumably, Bell Media being at a lower price. With a lower fee to pay (or, maybe, no fee to pay), could the races be broadcast commercial-free ? Well, TSN is broadcasting Formula E since November and all 3 races run so far as been commercial-free.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-02-06, 12:57 PM

Barcelona pre-season testing as you’ve never seen it before - F1 Media

Quote:
F1 TV is also producing various on-demand content available also to F1 TV Access subscribers. Each day in “Tech Talk”, Formula 1’s Digital Presenter, Will Buxton, will be joined by a host of guests to discuss the latest technical developments and analyse the performance of the teams. At the end of each three-day test, Friday 21st and Friday 28th, Buxton will host “Paddock Pass,” which will feature exclusive behind the scenes news, interviews with drivers and engineers as well as insights and analysis from former F1 drivers and pundits. For those who are hard at work during the week, there will be an on-demand programme, “What we learnedavailable on Saturday 22nd and Saturday 29th February. On Friday 28th, after the final chequered flag of the second session, Jolyon Palmer, who drove in 35 Grands Prix, will give an initial assessment of how things went and his prediction for the start of the season.
Quote:
The full coverage – live and VOD – of the six days of testing will mark the debut of further eleven new countries (highlighted below) through F1 TV Pro, bringing the total to 77.

* Canada isn't one of them.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-02-06, 05:09 PM
Veteran

I wonder if TSN will show any of that here. I also wonder how long it is before F1 TV Pro is coming here, if it's just this year of it's locked out for the duration of the new agreement.

That said, have they announced the new TSN F1 deal yet? I haven't seen that, so maybe things change when it's official.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-02-06, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
...have they announced the new TSN F1 deal yet?
Post 7? Or did you mean something else?

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-02-06, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I wonder if TSN will show any of that here. I also wonder how long it is before F1 TV Pro is coming here, if it's just this year of it's locked out for the duration of the new agreement.

That said, have they announced the new TSN F1 deal yet? I haven't seen that, so maybe things change when it's official.
“Sky in Italy and the UK will be co-exclusive broadcaster with F1 TV”
Italy (plus San Marino and Vatican City) and UK (plus Ireland) are the sole countries without F1 TV Pro to get testing coverage.

So, for us in Canada, nothing will be on TSN/RDS and the on-track coverage on F1 TV will only become available 1 week later with the Access subscription.

For the deal, looking how late TSN announced their XFL coverage (announced today, starts Saturday), I’m expecting the press releases for F1 to be on the week right before the Australian Grand Prix. Maybe F1 TV Pro could be unlocked at that moment. If not, it would be Liberty Media’s first TV deal without them keeping some digital rights for F1 TV Pro.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-02-07, 09:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Post 7? Or did you mean something else?
I mean TSN's actual announcement, so duration and such, yeah. That's an article talking about it, but nothing's been officially announced. If that happens and F1 TV Pro still isn't available, then we'll know for how long, at least.

F1 just sent me a survey about how I intend to watch practice, to which I had to reply "you've given me no legal way to do so". Whole thing is pretty frustrating.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2020-02-12, 11:25 AM

Chinese Grand Prix Posponed

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...seeks-new-date

The Chinese grand prix has been postponed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in