Prime Time Sports - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cyclist44
  • 1 Post By andyk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Prime Time Sports

I noticed a new bunch of people hosting and participating on Prime Time Sports this week. Is anyone left at Sportsnet from the old show? And who are the new hosts? Are they familiar to anyone? I'm in Winnipeg and don't recognize anyone. I really miss Bob McCown and the various cohosts.

Andy K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-08-10, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

To answer my own question, the host is JD Bunkis, with Ben Ennis, Blake Murphy, Steven Lebron (Alex ?) on the Friday roundtable, according to twitter.
From the 1-4PM show on The Fan 590. I don't know if they were just filling in or this is permanent.

Andy K.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-08-11, 08:14 AM

Jeff Blair and Richard Deitsch have been the regular hosts since Bob's departure. Ben Ennis and JD Bunkis were just filling in last week. Ben and JD are usually on from 1 to 4 on the Good Show.
andyk likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-08-13, 01:26 AM

I've heard nothing about Bob's departure as you put it. I assumed he was on vacation, did he leave the network?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-08-13, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Yes. Here are the final moments of the Friday roundtable on June 21.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ahI0jcP58
emmy1500 likes this.

Andy K.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-08-14, 12:49 PM

Thanks andyk for sharing that video.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Here is the article that broke the news at the time.

Quote:
Sources have confirmed to TSM that Sportsnet is preparing to make significant cuts to their on-air staff as the network tries to cut costs in the face of disappointing revenue. This comes at a time when the Globe is reporting that advertising revenue for the Raptors and the NBA playoffs was up about 350 per cent this year on Sportsnet compared with last year.

There is a list of possible names from all platforms circulating but we have decided not to publish it here until the changes are announced or confirmed by the parties themselves. The only name we will confirm at this time is Bob McCown. The current reports are that today – Thursday June 20th 2019 Friday June 21st 2019 – will be the final show with McCown at the microphone.
https://torontosportsmedia.com/2019/...ssive-layoffs/

They wound up letting go Bob Ryan and Don Banks as correspondents once Bob was laid off. Unfortunately, Don died a few weeks later.

Quote:
As many of you are by now aware, Don Banks, my longtime NFL correspondent, passed away last night at age 56. Don and I had been speaking regularly over the past few weeks since he told me of his new job covering the NFL for the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
https://twitter.com/FadooBobcat/stat...56174719688709

Presumably Stephen Brunt will be back in the co-host rotation after Labour Day.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 08:56 AM

I am glad Bob McCown is gone. He always feared about how much soccer is more popular than CFL in Toronto area. I remember listening to him once saying: "I will never visit BMO field", while he was doing an interview with some one who works for TFC lol.

What they thought us in high school is to respect every sports, you dont like it, dont watch it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 09:43 PM

I remember when I first came across his radio show on television. As soon as I saw he was a dinosaur and that he was wearing sunglasses indoors like some douchebag, I decided whatever his show was about that it wasn't from me. Judging by the above article and the dinosaurs he had as guests or co-hosts, it sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Tags
sportsnet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in