CFL 2019 Discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I don't see why TSN would switch channels at this late point. The whole Raptors game will be on TSN 1/4 and the whole CFL game will be on TSN 3/5, which will show the end of the Raptors after the CFL game finishes.

I heard that 8.5 million people watched some part of Raptors game 5, which an average viewership of 6.5 million, so there are a lot of people on the Raptors bandwagon.

Here are a couple of other similar start times for western teams playing in the east on a weekday.
Thursday, July 25, Calgary at Ottawa 7pm et/4pm pt
Thursday, August 1, Winnipeg at Toronto 7pm et/4pm pt

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-06-13 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect info about Sask. time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 11:59 AM
Rookie

Dr. Dave, the game starts at 5 PM in Saskatchewan. Central Standard Time is one hour behind the Central Daylight Time, that you're on in Manitoba, and two hours behind Ontario.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 12:46 PM

TSN just has a history of last minute channel changes, or cutting into coverage on channels it shouldn't. Learned my lesson way too many times. If you watch live, it is OK as they give you plenty of time to change channels and the announcers let you know where to go. It just is frustrating when you record a program, watch 2 hours, and the last hour is something else.

It may not just be TSN - it could be the EPG from the service provider isn't updated.

For example, the EPG isn't updated for Cogeco yet for the time change of the CFL game.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @Murrango - I removed the misleading info.

@Inglewood it must just be Cogeco that hasn't updated their guide. I double-checked TSN, Zap2it and Rovi before I posted and they all had the same schedule. I've heard that TSN will sometimes switch channels at the last minute, but this schedule seems pretty well planned out.

----

In addition to TSN Radio, SiriusXM will carry every CFL regular season and playoff game starting today. French broadcasts of all Montréal Alouettes games will also be offered to subscribers. Today's press release:

2019 CFL season to air nationwide on SiriusXM
Inglewood likes this.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-15, 09:32 AM
Veteran

Anyone else noticing that some CFL games so far this year look sharper, cleaner and the colours are deeper/more realistic? I don't have a 4K signal (Bell satellite TV) but I do have a 4K TV and am wondering if the better picture is the result of TSN using 4K cameras at some games?
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-15, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
TSN just has a history of last minute channel changes, or cutting into coverage on channels it shouldn't. Learned my lesson way too many times. If you watch live, it is OK as they give you plenty of time to change channels and the announcers let you know where to go. It just is frustrating when you record a program, watch 2 hours, and the last hour is something else.

It may not just be TSN - it could be the EPG from the service provider isn't updated.

For example, the EPG isn't updated for Cogeco yet for the time change of the CFL game.
Agree 100%. Absolutely unacceptable. I twice sent messages to TSN complaining about them switching channels before the end of CFL games and have had the courtesy of zero replies.

In order to try and avoid this situation, I now record on 2 channels hoping they won't switch both of them.

And how about their bad habit of delaying coverage of a CFL game because a prior program is not yet finished? How can this even be possible when they have 5 channels to broadcast?
Inglewood likes this.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-15, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
Anyone else noticing that some CFL games so far this year look sharper, cleaner and the colours are deeper/more realistic? I don't have a 4K signal (Bell satellite TV) but I do have a 4K TV and am wondering if the better picture is the result of TSN using 4K cameras at some games?
The June 13th game was shot in 4K, so it's possible that the picture was better even after it was down-mixed for HD transmission. See my previous posts for 4K info. It may even depend on the type of production truck they used - some are dedicated 4K and some are HD/4K.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-28, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-28, 10:03 AM

Two things with Live Mics:

-Rod Black, or whoever is announcing doesn't need to apologize for the "language" when there is swearing and keep on stating "these are live mics...we can't control what you hear". It's tiring hearing it every couple minutes. There's lots of swearing...we get it. If someone doesn't like it, they will change the channel - the constant apologies doesn't keep them tuned in if they are offended by the language.

-Would be cool if you could have SAP functions for turning the mics on/off, or switching between teams. Would have loved to hear Toronto's mics last week when they were getting slaughtered.
Tridus likes this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2019-06-28, 10:40 AM
Veteran

New viewers are always tuning in throughout the broadcast. The announcer doesn't want unsuspecting viewers to be shocked and so he keeps repeating the warning. Its no different from the repeated "mature content" warnings after each commercial break on many TV series. Don't forget that the CRTC and several "public good" organizations are monitoring to spot anything in the show that might be considered "offensive". Those frequent announcements keep TSN clear of any potential fines/penalties.

I don't understand why they couldn't do what HNIC does where they delay the broadcast about seven seconds to allow any profanity or objectionable material to be filtered out.
Inglewood likes this.

Tags
cfl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in