Sports in 4K in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Sports in 4K in Canada

This thread is for general discussion of sports available in 4K (Ultra HD) in Canada. Most TV providers that have a 4K service carry the same sports content and the picture quality is generally the same on each service, so this is a good place to discuss what's available on TSN 4K and Sportsnet 4K channels. TV providers that carry 4K channels should also have a thread in their section of this forum to discuss issues specific to their service. If you want to discuss a sport in general (not related to 4K,) there are threads in the sports section for NHL, CFL, NBA, etc.

Some people have complained about the picture quality on the Sportsnet 4K channels. Even though they are labelled as 4K channels, most of the content is HD, with the occasional game in 4K. Sportsnet doesn't seem to publish a specific 4K schedule, but their daily schedule does show if a live event will be shown on a 4K channel.

Useful links:
Sportsnet daily schedule: https://www.sportsnet.ca/schedule/
TSN 4K schedule: https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-4k-broadcast-schedule-1.900579

Regular 4K sports include CFL, Toronto Raptors and Toronto Blue Jays home games and certain NHL games played in Canada. TSN4K has some MLS games.

Discussion of legal 4K streaming sources available in Canada is OK.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-04-22 at 11:37 AM. Reason: removed Bell links; added MLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Several International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior games will be on TSN 4K starting December 23 with Finland vs Canada and continuing throughout the month. It looks like they were just added to the 4K schedule.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the links. I wonder if Bell and Center Ice will sometime offer the blacked out regional NHL games to subs. Would it take much to add a virtual 4k channel to the Center ice package?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 03:04 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
I'm asking this here because I'm lazy.

Does anyone know if the new TSN app for $12/mo. include 4K content?

Thanks.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

@SatTv1994 if you're talking about Bell's regional TSN channels, I think they only have the hockey rights for that region. I think Rogers controls the Centre Ice rights.

@ExRobotGuy I don't think TSN Direct offers 4K streaming.

Legal 4K streaming is on-topic for this thread. I was going to mention it in the first post, but it was already getting too long and I wasn't aware of any right now.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-20, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

TSN is Home to Every Moment of the 2019 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP, Live from Vancouver and Victoria, Beginning Dec. 26
Quote:
TSN and TSN Direct subscribers can enjoy 4K coverage for select preliminary round and quarter-final games, as well as the semifinals and the Bronze and Gold Medal Games.
If that press release is correct, then TSN Direct will have 4K coverage.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-20, 11:56 AM
Rookie

TSN and TSN Direct subscribers can enjoy 4K coverage for select preliminary round and quarter-final games, as well as the semifinals and the Bronze and Gold Medal Games.

I assume this refers to world junior hockey. As a Bell satellite customers I wonder if 4K content for these games will be available to me via the TSN app on my Apple TV 4K box? Or will I need a subscription that includes TSN 4k?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-20, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm a little suspicious about the way 4K was just tossed in there for TSN Direct, but TSN was very low-key about starting CFL 4K broadcasts.

The 4K may only be for people that subscribe to TSN Direct, but you never know. It may work with a TV provider login, but if TSN made 4K available for all TSN subscribers, it would undermine their TSN 4K pricing through the TV providers.

I can't see Bell Satellite coming out with a 4K package anytime soon. I doubt they plan to transmit 4K by satellite and it seems unlikely they would do it just for streaming.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-20, 02:44 PM

Unless I'm mistaken there isn't a 4k capable receiver yet, right?

Moreover, even with the codec upgrade they made a few years back, one 4k channel is probably = 3 720p channels... just guessing and assuming Bell would compress it to all hell. Given the limited space on their transponders of two satellites, there isn't a whole lot of room for 4k on Satellite unless they launch a new bird, which isn't happening.

A month ago the CEO of Directv said they won't be launching any new satellites, which if you read between the lines is an indicator that Directv as a satellite distribution platform, is on deaths doorstep.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 08:43 AM

Do you mean that receiver like this is not 4k capable?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 09:37 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
Unless I'm mistaken there isn't a 4k capable receiver yet, right?
Probably talking about Bell Satellite? There certainly are 4K STBs for other providers...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 02:57 PM
Veteran

I believe that was about Bell Satellite specifically. Fibe already has TSN 4k and can easily show 4k WJHC games. Bell Satellite has no 4k receiver (just like Rogers in New Brunswick).
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 03:47 PM
Rookie

I understand Bell Satellite doesn't offer 4K channels/receivers, but with my Bell Satellite subscription I receive access to TSN online streaming. If I stream via the Apple TV 4k app will I receive access to the 4K content on the Apple TV? Fingers crossed!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 09:00 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
This thread may have saved me $500/year!

To much to go into right now. Broken wrist!

Thanks, Digital Home

Last edited by ExRobotGuy; 2018-12-21 at 09:02 PM. Reason: I wasn't finished
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-12-23, 04:44 AM
Rookie

Is NHL hockey being broadcast in HDR on Sportsnet 4k and TSN 4k? If yes, does the increased contrast make the puck easier to follow?

Tags
4k tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in