Official 2019 F1 Discussion Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-11-26, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Official 2019 F1 Discussion Thread

I'm starting the 2019 F1 thread since the 2018 season is over. Anyone wishing to discuss what happened in 2018 may use the 2018 thread. I'll close that thread soon, but leave it open for now.

I'll leave space below for useful links, tips, etc.
Allan B likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-11-26, 04:32 PM

Is it correct that Canada will NOT get the F1 streaming in 2019? That 2020 is when the TSN contract is gone. I really want a streaming F1 with no commercials and I am prepared to pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gboutin likes this.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-11-27, 09:49 AM

The F1TV live streaming will not be in Canada next year (2019 season).

I was in the U.S. in the summer for a few weekends and watched a couple races with a monthly pass - it was OK, but the audio channel for the commentary would cut out occasionally (you could still hear the race, so it wasn't a full audio issue).

For Americans, the coverage on ESPN was great after the first few races - even on ABC it was commercial free. At least TSN carries the pre/post race coverage now.

I'm sure F1TV will be much better when we finally can get it in 2020 - I'll be signing up as well.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 02:46 PM

2019 FIA Formula One World Championship - Entry List - FIA.com

Force India is now Racing Point
Mission Winnow has been added to Ferrari's official team name

New race numbers:
#4 Lando Norris (McLaren)
#63 George Russell (Williams)
#88 Robert Kubica (Williams)
#99 Antonio Giovinazzi (Sauber)
TBA Alexander Albon (Toro Rosso)
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 08:42 PM
Veteran

I'm amazed (but not really) that MW has been the way for tobacco to return to F1.

Looking forward to seeing how Lance does with a better car.

Looking forward to seeing if Seb's new teammate will play nice more than Kimi did... but Ferarri's strategy is still lagging behind Merc.

Hopeful that Ricciardo can get Renault competitive quickly.

Hopeful that Kubrica's return isn't embarrassing.
Inglewood likes this.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-12-03, 09:45 AM

I'm wondering how Philip Morris will translate Mission Winnow into tobacco sales...but I guess with all F1 sponsors, I was curious to know what it was when it was added to the Ferrari livery this year and looked up their social media.

For 2019, I'm also looking forward to see how Lance does, how far Charles pushes Seb, and I'm actually curious to see how Daniel and Nico stack up against each other at Renault.

The other things I'm looking forward to are Honda engines in a Red Bull, if the new regulations do anything to the current pecking order, if Valteri is retained by Mercedes all season (would they bring in Ocon?), Kimi at Sauber, and if Williams/McLaren improve.

SKY is adding Jenson Button this year as a pundit - they could lose a few of the useless guys like Rosberg, Hill, and I wouldn't miss Davidson and DiResta if they were to disappear. Too bad they couldn't bring in the CH4 team for the race - prefer Ben and David to Crofty and the rotating chair at SKY.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-12-03, 11:48 AM

Canadian Nicholas Latifi joins Williams as reserve driver for 2019.

As part of his role:
1 day of winter testing
6 FP1 sessions
2 days of in-season testing (rookie test)
2 days of testing for Pirelli

So, if there's an issue with Kubica this year (I doubt it will happen), we could have 2 Canadians on the grid.
Tridus and Inglewood like this.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-12-03, 01:37 PM
Veteran

F1 and AWS are looking at some new graphics for 2019. You can see and rate the options here. There's a video showing each one overlaid on some race footage from the 2018 season to show how it works.

My favorite is the car performance one, because it's showing a lot of information that impacts performance (tire and brake temps) that isn't really available anywhere to fans right now.

If the overtake one works in live realtime as well as it does in this example, that would be really something.

Even if they wind up not using all of them, it's great to see Liberty pushing to try out new things like this.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-12-04, 01:02 PM

I like the new graphics - especially the tire one.

I'm surprised it took this long to have that type of tire wear information - it reminds me of the tire wear on my Commodore 64 versions of Pitstop II.

Once graphic that I would like to see is how stressed/calm the drivers are.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 2019-01-21, 12:34 PM

F1 Testing: Live coverage on Sky F1 (UK)

Quote:
Sky F1 to broadcast 20 hours of live coverage from first winter test

[...]

For our UK-based audience, coverage will commence on every day of the test at 1pm

[...]

coverage will continue long after the cars have stopped running with an hour-long review show, Welcome to F1 2019, which will include analysis and reaction from the day, until 6pm.
Will it be available on F1 TV for both Pro and Access users ?
Could it be available on TSN.ca/app (TSN Direct) ?

Let's hope at least one of the answers is Yes.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 2019-01-21, 03:25 PM

I know in previous years the Craig Slater testing highlights were available without Geo-Blocking on Sky's website (about a 10 minute segment). Last year Will Buxton had some reports on F1's YouTube channel and some interviews (which were really good).

For the longer Ted Kravitz report (about 30 minutes a day) was geo-blocked last year on Sky, but available previous years.

I've never been able to get the full day testing broadcast. Hopefully F1 TV may have it this year.
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 2019-01-21, 03:42 PM

It will only be the second time that live testing will be produce in F1.

The only time it happen in the past, it was in 2013 with live coverage of the last Barcelona test (last 2 hours per day) on Sky, but it was a Sky production for their 3D channel.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 2019-01-22, 07:32 AM
Veteran

F1 reporting TV and online growth last year. The social media numbers are way up, which isn't surprising given they were starting from basically nowhere on that when Liberty took over.

Canada is one of the top 20 markets by cumulative TV viewers, as well. They don't break that down any further.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 2019-01-22, 09:35 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Michael Schumacher - The Making of a Legend now available on F1 TV

Quote:
A new [50-minute] documentary, created by F1 and available exclusively to F1 TV subscribers, tells the story of the Germanís rise to the very top of the sport, with friends, rivals and former colleagues all offering their views on how Schumacher grew to become the most successful F1 driver of all time.

Mixing ultra-rare footage of the young Michael Schumacher with eye-popping archive material of his Formula 1 career, Michael Schumacher: The Making of a Legend charts the 91-time Grand Prix winnerís spectacular rise all the way from the kart track his father Rolf worked at in Kerpen to his final F1 season in 2012, via sportscar racing with Mercedes, his much-vaunted Formula 1 debut with Jordan in 1991, his seven world championships with Benetton and Ferrari and his fierce on track battles with the likes of Ayrton Senna, Mika Hakkinen and Damon Hill.

With a stellar cast of interviewees, including F1 motorsport boss Ross Brawn, Schumacherís manager Sabine Kehm and F1 racers including Martin Brundle, Fernando Alonso and David Coulthard, this is a must-watch for F1 fans looking to get the full story of the man who towered over Formula 1 for nearly two decades.
Obviously, an F1 TV Access subscription is enough to watch it.

AFAIK, this is only the second time that original content is made for F1 TV.
The first one was Eddie Jordan and Damon Hill discussing the 1998 Belgian GP.
Inglewood and buckycat like this.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 2019-01-23, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansportsf1 View Post
F1 Testing: Live coverage on Sky F1 (UK)

Will it be available on F1 TV for both Pro and Access users ?
Could it be available on TSN.ca/app (TSN Direct) ?

Let's hope at least one of the answers is Yes.
First answer is No. It will be available on F1 TV, but for Pro users only (not available in Canada).

Let's hope TSN will broadcast it (at least online).
Inglewood likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in