Thursday, May 30 GSW @ TOR 9:00 p.m. SN
Sunday, June 2 GSW @ TOR 8:00 p.m. TSN
Wednesday, June 5 TOR @ GSW 9:00 p.m. SN
Friday, June 7 TOR @ GSW 9:00 p.m. TSN
Monday, June 10 GSW @ TOR* 9:00 p.m. SN
Thursday, June 13 TOR @ GSW* 9:00 p.m. TSN
Sunday, June 16 GSW @ TOR* 8:00 p.m. SN

#5 ·
Does anyone know if any of the TSN Raptors games will be simulcast onto CTV? I know they did this for game 4 in the Philly series but as this is the finals it would be wise to go onto OTA to get as many eyeballs as possible for ad dollars? Also, would SN simulcast onto City for the finals?

#7 ·
I'll be watching on ABC. Would rather watch a professional production with neutral broadcasters than the homerism and lower standards of the TSN/SN broadcast.

Though it would be hilarious if TSN/SN were contractually obligated to take the ABC/ESPN feed and couldn't produce their own.

#9 ·
It's not the same feed so there is no sim sub. The only way TSN / SN would be able to sim sub would be if they used the ABC feed on their broadcast. That is why I was asking if they would be on OTA as well for the finals. I have Fibe TV more of a curiosity than anything. As far as I know right now, TSN / SN will be creating their own feed as they have done throughout the playoffs unless there is news on this.

#10 ·
I think specialty channels - which SN and TSN are - cannot simsub American OTA channels anymore. CMIIW. Besides, now that a Canadian-based team is in the Finals, SN and TSN may make their own production and get their own feed. It depends whether NBA allows it, of course. If so, it will be like CBC and NBC in the Stanley Cup Finals.

#14 ·
@north49 - quote from the press release "CTV2 simulcasts ABC’s coverage of Games 2, 4 and 6." That way they can run Canadian ads when they simsub the ABC broadcast. @hercules130 is correct - the CRTC changed the rules a few years ago so only OTA stations can simsub American stations.

They are probably slow getting the guide updates out.

#22 ·
The viewership for Blue Jays' games is consistently higher than Raptors games. Even CFL games get more viewers than a regular season Raptors game. Barely anyone watched the Raptors until last week.

If the Raptors weren't playing, the NBA Finals draws significantly less viewers in Canada than a typical Blue Jays game.

Plus, Raptors games are split between two networks - why lug around the equipment for the few bandwagon fans that will watch in 4K when SN can leave it at the Rogers Centre for Jays' games?

SN and TSN probably also assume that all the bandwagon fans will watch in HD anyways, so why bother with 4K for maybe one game in Toronto when they will watch your feed anyways? I don't think there are many people who would not watch the game because it isn't in 4K.

See how the series goes, but everyone will be back talking about the Leafs in a couple days if the Raptors get blown out the first two games at home.

#23 ·
All the equipment that they use for Raps / Leafs games at Scotiabank arena is owned by Dome Productions which is 50 - 50 owned by Bell and Rogers and is permanently installed in the arena so gear is not an issue at Scotiabank. I'm not 100% positive but it's pretty likely that the games will be on both SN4k and TSN4k during the finals as all of the Eastern Conference Finals games were in 4k home and away from what I saw on my Bell Fibe.

#25 ·
Yeah, I may go get a 4K box from a Rogers store near me and see if SN and TSN will broadcast the home games in 4K. Swapping out my 1080p box with the new one should be easy in my setup.

I had the 4K PVR for a few months after I got the 4K TV but there was really not much to see in 4K from Rogers so I returned it and reverted to my own PVR. I do enjoy the Netflix 4K HDR and Dolby Vision shows.

#28 ·
...Otherwise, that would be a false advertising, would it not?
No, It indicates the capabilities of the channel, not the incoming signal. Up until a few years ago, many channels had an "HD" in their logos. Not so much any more since most channels are only "HD". The "HD" appeared even when they were showing a programme that was originally SD because you were on the "HD" channel. APTN still has an HD in their logo.

I don't have 4K, but I believe that some "4K" channels only show programming when it is actually 4K incoming signal, while other 4K channels show programming, even when it's upconverted HD, the same way the HD channels show programming when it's upconverted SD.

#27 · (Edited)
Do other games that aren't 4K have the 'SN4K' bug on the top?

It would make sense that it was 4K, especially since TSN will be showing game 2 from the same facility in 4K. The only reason it wouldn't be 4K is if the 4K production truck wasn't available that day for some reason.

EDIT: today's press release - "NEWSTALK 1010 discusses the birth of the Toronto Raptors franchise in the all-new podcast series UNHATCHED, available now on iHeartRadio.ca and the iHeartRadio App."

#31 ·
It wouldn't be surprising if there is no 4K broadcast considering T/SN have had to reduce the number of cameras they have themselves for the final to allow for the dozens of ESPN cameras which take priority. ESPN aren't producing a 4K broadcast so taking those cameras would result in a noticeable drop in quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.