CFL 2018 Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-18, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

CFL 2018 Discussion

CFL ON TSN Pre-Season Provides Fans with Exclusive Live Coverage of Four Games, Beginning May 27 - Bell Media

TSN and RDS are the exclusive Canadian broadcasters of the CFL, delivering live coverage of every regular season game, complete playoff coverage, and the 106th GREY CUP live from Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton on November 25, 2018.

CFL ON TSN gets fans ready for the start of the regular season on Thursday, June 14 with live coverage of four pre-season games. TSN begins its pre-season coverage with a divisional matchup featuring the Edmonton Eskimos and the visiting Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday, May 27 at 5 p.m. ET on TSN.

The CFL ON TSN pre-season broadcast schedule is as follows:

Sunday, May 27 – Saskatchewan @ Edmonton at 5 p.m. ET on TSN
Thursday, May 31 – Montreal @ Ottawa at 7:30 p.m. ET on TSN and TSN4K
Friday, June 1 – Toronto @ Hamilton at 7:30 p.m. ET on TSN
Friday, June 8 – Winnipeg @ B.C. at 10:30 p.m. ET on TSN

Exclusive coverage of the CFL ON TSN pre-season is also available to TSN subscribers for live streaming and on-demand viewing via TSN.ca/Live and the TSN GO app.

Fans can tune in to TSN Radio stations across the country for comprehensive CFL ON TSN pre-season game coverage on-air, online, and on the go through the TSN GO and iHeartRadio mobile apps.

See the press release for more details.

Last year's thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/160-...on-thread.html
CenturyBreak and Inglewood like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-18, 08:56 PM

A pre-season game in 4K? What a gigantic waste of money and resources.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-19, 07:45 PM
Veteran

If they plan to do the regular season in 4k, doing a pre season game is a great chance to get the kinks out. Seems like a good idea to me.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-22, 09:38 AM

Still disappointed that the CFL doesn't have an OTT package. The only way to watch games online legally in Canada is through TSN GO that requires a cable/satellite subscription with specific providers.

Cogeco, among others, does not offer TSN GO with a TSN subscription.

In the UK, you can watch the CFL on BT Sport's website with no subscription. Same goes for some games on the various ESPN platforms in the U.S. - some are free, some need subscriptions.

For a league that is suffering to get younger fans, you would think OTT and more online content would be a no-brainer. Right now, all we get is the odd highlight package or clip on CFL.ca.
Tridus likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-22, 09:51 AM

The CFL has already an OTT service. It's just not available in Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Mexico, Latin America, South America, the Caribbean and the Pacific Rim (including Australia and New Zealand) due to current deals with TSN/RDS, ESPN, ESPN International & BT Sport.
Tridus likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-22, 04:38 PM
Veteran

Yeah it's nonsense at this point. I used to argue about this with people on the CFL forum before I stopped going there, every year. I plan on ditching cable when my retention package is up and the CFL apparently is okay with me no longer watching at that point.
Inglewood likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-23, 11:22 AM
Veteran

@fansports1: In other words it is not available in the countries where someone might actually be interested in watching the games. Good thinking CFL! Great way to grow your audience (not). (And a big boo to restrictive TSN).

Aside: I wondered where the Grey Cup is being played this Nov. as I was thinking of maybe getting tickets. Their website schedule for 2018 gives the "when" but neglects to tell me the city. That seems a rather important piece of information to me. Keep up the good work CFL!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-23, 12:53 PM

This year Edmonton.

106th Grey Cup Festival | Edmonton 2018

Next year (2019) Calgary.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/04/25/grey-cup-2019/

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-23, 03:10 PM
Veteran

Thank you! Two years in a row in the same province. Is that really a good idea?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-23, 03:29 PM

Apparently someone doesn't like the CFL. Nothing but complaints. Guess what, last time the Grey Cup was in Calgary, it was in Edmonton the following year. No issues then.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-24, 09:17 AM

There are really only a few cities that can host a Grey Cup.

Ottawa barely sold out this year - and had to offer promo ticket pricing once the Redblacks were eliminated.

Toronto basically gave away thousands of tickets the year before (I was given a free pair directly from the Argos).

Vancouver didn't sell out a few years ago.

Hamilton hasn't hosted one in years. I remember the last time they had it I was offered free tickets everywhere I went in the city (Sunny's Gas Bars, Tim Hortons, various other businesses). Hamilton would take it again, but it has been over 20 years since they had one.

Montreal probably wouldn't sell out Olympic Stadium either, and Molson Stadium is too small.

That just leaves Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, and Edmonton as the only cities that do well with the Grey Cup - that's why it ends up in those cities a lot. The CFL tosses the odd game to Toronto to keep it from being in Western Canada every year.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-24, 09:57 AM

Agree with the Hamilton part. I was a student season ticket holder at the time. My Grey Cup ticket cost more than the entire season ticket package. To find out at least 1,000 people (if not more) got tickets absolutely free irritated me. I want to say that was the reason I didn't renew but that's not the case. I simply moved away. But still, it left a bad taste in my mouth (along with many other fans).

Single Dad, Multiple College/University grad, College Football Superfan, and overall lazy ass.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-24, 01:17 PM

The CFL could probably benefit by not having "neutral" site Grey Cups. For example, last year if Ottawa was in the game, it would have been an easy sell-out. I'm sure that every team, even Toronto, was playing a home Grey Cup game, it would be sold out.

It would also be a good reward for the top seeded team to host the game. Or even do something unique by having a two game aggregate series at each team's home.

When you look at the struggles of the Memorial Cup this year, it's exactly why half the CFL barely bothers with hosting a Grey Cup. To lose over $2 million like the Regina Pats are on this year's Memorial Cup would cripple half the teams in the CFL.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-24, 04:39 PM
Veteran

@Inglewood : I don't think your idea would work. The Grey Cup is more than a game. Waiting to see who the top seeded team is would leave it too late to organize all the ancillary events that go with the Grey Cup. Note too that there is no guarantee that the best regular season team will even be around after the playoffs. The whole show including arrangements for the half time show, hotels, publicity etc. is one big logistical challenge even with months to get ready. My feelings about it are mixed. I want the Grey Cup and CFL to continue but I fear for their continued existence. Each year the interest and excitement seems to be just a bit less. That can only go on for so long before the whole CFL institution is relegated to just a memory.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-05-25, 10:48 AM

@reidw - I have the same feelings - I feel the CFL is a slowly sinking ship. However, I've been a fan for almost 40 years and it's had rougher times.

I'm not sure how the league would survive without TSN's money and some of the owners willing to take a loss. If TSN starts to lose money, or the rights fees go down, the CFL will be in big trouble. If owners like MLSE and Bob Young decide they don't want to keep losing money (I assume the tax write-off on other assets they have may be worth taking some losses) the league will also be in trouble. I don't see it surviving with just the profitable western teams.

When you look at the numbers that the public teams issue (for example, Edmonton and Winnipeg) they make OK money - but when you compare how much they make (a couple million per year) compared to what you local Canadian Tire franchise makes, it's not much money. And those are the teams making money. I'd hate to see Toronto's balance sheet at the end of a season...

I'll be spending my money going to at least 10 games this year, buying merchandise, and I would pay for an OTT package - but I barely know anyone else at work, friends, or family who watch the CFL or could name a couple players.

Tags
bell media , cfl , tsn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in