IndyCar Series Discussions - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-19, 05:01 PM

You can add me as a "minus 1" for this season to the Star's numbers...I want to watch it all, or nothing.

Will tune into the Indy 500, but won't follow the season closely this year because I don't want to pay that much.

Maybe they will learn and have a free OTT service when the series begins to die in a few years.

I'm disappointed, but there are a lot of other free racing series to watch on any weekend.
faston, emmy1500, buckycat and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-20, 01:32 PM
Veteran

I missed a couple of races last year just because they were on different channels than usual and the PVR didn't catch them. They had no consistency at all in scheduling. That doesn't help viewing numbers.
post #63 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-23, 04:45 PM

Still nada

Indy racing running on NBCHD Sports in the U.S., but NOTHING in Canada. Sucks. Sucks a lot. If we can’t see Indycar Racing in Canada on cable or broadcast, Americans shouldn’t be allowed to see the NHL.

post #64 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-24, 11:34 AM

Some of the other series were legitimately/legally available to see live this weekend from CoTA.
For Indy Lights (and presumably the other two Road To Indy series on other weekends):
http://roadtoindy.tv/international-race-control.html
http://www.facebook.com/pg/roadtoindytv/videos/
http://www.youtube.com/RoadtoIndyTV
Maxda MX5:
http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/
Stadium Super Trucks:
http://livestream.com/accounts/3325748
and I think you can hear IndyCar radio live when there's one of their series on track.
http://racecontrol.indycar.com
http://tunein.com/radio/Indycar-Radio-s269629/
Wheelman likes this.
post #65 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-24, 04:18 PM

Well Indycar provided another typical result. Full course yellow near the end of the race - pits closed for the leaders - restart and a whole bunch of backmarkers end up in the top 10.
Also no track limits for the race so that final crash occurred with a gaggle of cars trying to pass each other in the runoff area.

Indycar rulemakers take a bow.

I'm beginning to understand Sportsnet putting this series on the back burner.
Inglewood and Wheelman like this.
post #66 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 09:39 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
For those interested, the race this Saturday, May 11th will be on NBC. Pre-race at 3PM.

IIRC, the next 4 races will be available on NBC. Here's a link from this thread:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/160...ml#post3075463

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #67 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-05-19, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Alonso DNQ for the Indy 500
Inglewood likes this.
post #68 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-05-21, 09:45 AM

During all the SKY UK F1 pre-race shows they kept hyping Alonso at Indy all season long. Good on the drivers in Indycar for knocking him out. Alonso really needs to race the whole IndyCar season and not think he can jump in for one race and win.

Another year gone for him, and he'll be another year older next year...

Surprised more at Chilton not qualifying.
buckycat likes this.
post #69 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-05-27, 07:23 AM
Veteran

McLaren's efforts in Indy this year were a gong show in general: McLaren explains comedy of errors that led to Fernando Alonso's Indy 500 nightmare

They would be better served either partnering with an established team, or running one full time themselves. This whole thing came off as an amateur exercise.
Inglewood likes this.
post #70 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-05-28, 10:30 AM

The funny thing is what McLaren is admitting in public - you know that they are only revealing probably 10% of the comedy of errors that happened.

I always love it when an athlete (or company) goes into another sport/field and thinks they are going to dominate and fails miserably.

The racing world is full of people who boast big results, and fail quickly. It's always best to keep your mouth shut and let results speak for themselves.
Tridus and Wheelman like this.
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-05-28, 02:18 PM

When I heard Mclaren were going to have a technical partnership with Carlin I was skeptical if Alonso would even do well. I'm not surprised he failed to qualify.

Although the previous ABC commentators were absolutely atrocious I did appreciate how they didn't speak during the opening laps of the Indy 500. I didn't realize how much better it sounded without anyone speaking until the NBC guys spoke during the opening laps.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-05-28, 03:03 PM

I wish that SAP would allow the races without commentary. F1 allows no commentary as an option on their service and I enjoy watching the races that way.

I do have to say after decades of ABC broadcasting the Indy 500, I did find the NBC crew to be a breath of fresh air. The only thing I didn't like is that it seemed that they had a commercial break every 2-3 minutes.

My wife also only watches this one race each year (I'll watch more races in a weekend then she has in a decade) - and she really likes that the Indy 500 usually has at least one female driver and she also likes that Danica Patrick was on the commentary team. I really think that IndyCar does a great job of promoting female drivers as equals instead of a side attraction like F1/FIA wants to with the W Series. European open wheel racing can learn a lot from Indycar to get more female fans involved.
Tridus likes this.
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-06-03, 10:59 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Since it was on NBC, I decided to watch the Detroit races this past weekend. Another frustrating experience for me:

1. The rain-delayed Saturday race switched channels at 6PM with about 20 minutes remaining. Not much good to me since I had recorded the event and was watching late in the evening (having added 3 hours just in case...)

2. Although I was able to see all of the race on Sunday, there were far too many full-course yellows for my liking and I also came to the realization (not for the first time), that, although certain drivers have more skill than others, the luck of the yellow plays too much of a roll in deciding the winners/losers of a race. Some call this "strategy", but really, it's often mostly luck.

I realized that I don't really miss IndyCar much this year.
Inglewood and Wheelman like this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 10:56 AM

Something needs to be done about the Yellow flags - you might as well not even try until the closing stages and hope for a yellow these days.

Even the Indy 500 had that yellow at the end that could have changed results if Rossi won by allowing him to bunch up. Also gives too much of a fuel advantage to some teams that run low in hope of a yellow to either re-fuel or conserve gas.
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Yeah I watched it too and there was so many yellows. And a red. It's really out of hand.

People bemoan the big runoffs in F1, but that does do a lot in helping to avoid every little incident turning into a safety car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in