IndyCar Series Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-08, 10:52 AM

I know emailing Sportsnet is a total waste of time, but I've just sent a note to Andretti Autosports about this issue because I believe Michael owns the Toronto Indy and not seeing the first 4 races will surely affect the leadup to the race.
Since I'm sure they're very busy this weekend, I'm not expecting a reply soon, but will let you all know when & if I get a reply.
Inglewood and Wheelman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-09, 12:29 AM

Thumbs down

Well I guess I'll be seeking US IPTV services thru a VPN/DNS service now. Sorry Bell/shaw/telus, you won't be getting a portion of my $$$ from TV services anymore. The Rogers family has spoken! Idiots...
emmy1500 and Inglewood like this.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #48 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-09, 12:48 AM

Yeah, the qualifying and race are on NBCHD Sports Net in the U.S., but I couldn’t find anything in Shaw Dorects guide for Sat or Sun.

post #49 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-09, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby View Post
I know emailing Sportsnet is a total waste of time, but I've just sent a note to Andretti Autosports about this issue because I believe Michael owns the Toronto Indy and not seeing the first 4 races will surely affect the leadup to the race.
Since I'm sure they're very busy this weekend, I'm not expecting a reply soon, but will let you all know when & if I get a reply.
I just found out that Green Savoree Racing Promotions owns the Toronto Indy, so I sent them an email about our concerns and again, I will let you all know when or if I get a reply.
post #50 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-09, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Sunday’s race from St. Petersburg will be stream free on Sportsnet.ca
Inglewood, Wheelman and ottvee like this.
post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-09, 02:25 PM

Is that a special just for this race?

post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-10, 09:05 AM
Veteran

Probably, since the other ones are supposed to be on SN World and this one isn't on any SN channel at all due to a scheduling conflict (as if they didn't have seven other channels they could put it on).
Wheelman likes this.
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-10, 12:57 PM

Do you have to register with Sportnet's Premium service to see the Live feed?
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-10, 01:18 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Went to sportsnet.ca and the link for the feed was right there. Started watching a bit and it went to commercial. I haven't watched commercials since the mid-70's and I'm not about to now...

Edit: Tried tuning in a couple of times while I was doing other things on my computer and almost every time it was either commercial or yellow. Oh well. I'll be able to record the rest of the season and watch properly, probably...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-10, 02:07 PM

This race was not supposed to be shown, therefore SportsNet is feeling the heat. Even the Toronto Star had an article about the IndyCar TV situation. I've sent my nasty email to Rogers and so should others.
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-10, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Went to sportsnet.ca and the link for the feed was right there. Started watching a bit and it went to commercial. I haven't watched commercials since the mid-70's and I'm not about to now...

Edit: Tried tuning in a couple of times while I was doing other things on my computer and almost every time it was either commercial or yellow. Oh well. I'll be able to record the rest of the season and watch properly, probably...
There was a point in the race where the NBCSN broadcast feed was experiencing technical difficulties so they had a bunch of commercials. I wish the commentators and race director were more intelligent. They say a lot of stupid things that are not correct and this race was no different. I spend more time watching live timing these days than anything because the race director is terrible.
ottvee likes this.

post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I haven't watched commercials since the mid-70's and I'm not about to now...
You're so full of crap... but whatever you say, cowboy.
post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 09:48 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
You're so full of crap... but whatever you say, cowboy.
A bit OT for this thread, but I bought my first VCR at that time and watch everything recorded, so think what you will.

As VCRs became much less expensive 10 years later, I purchased additional VCRs to record more than one programme at a time. There was a time when I had three (not all in the same room). The VCRs were mostly retired 15 years ago when I got HD PVRs.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 01:10 PM

Here's my first note to Green Savoree Racing Promotions who own the Toronto Indy:

We IndyCar fans in Canada are very upset that the TV rights for the series have been given to a channel Sportsnet World, that is primarily soccer & rugby and costs $20/month.
I understand the sports channel wants to make more money and expects IndyCar fans to subscribe to this channel but it's not going to happen.
The first 4 races of the series will only be available on that channel and only when the races are on NBC main network will we see those races.
I'm surprised that IndyCar is accepting this arrangement.
The leadup to the Toronto Indy will be greatly diminished and as the owner of this event I would appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

They replied that the first race will be streamed for free.
I then replied:

It is ironic that Sportsnet made this first race available for free online only because their Sportsnet World channel was showing a soccer match. It is this primarily soccer/rugby channel getting the IndyCar Series that is upsetting to many fans.
I've attached an article from the Toronto Star that pretty well sums up the issue and at the end, adds that the promoters of the Toronto Indy are probably not enthused.
So I'm curious to know if you as race owners have any input into the TV contract?

They then replied with a partly encouraging comment:
We don't have involvement in the negotiation of the TV contracts. Your sentiments will be relayed with ours. We are monitoring it closely.
post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-19, 02:26 PM

A recent article in The Star about Indycar viewing figures in Canada.

Quote:
These are last year’s figures but F1 races in Canada average about 260,000 viewers. NASCAR Cup races attract an average of 220,000. IndyCar races in 2018 averaged just over 50,000 – 51,900, to be exact.In the words of one television executive I spoke to, “You can put just about anything on television on Sunday afternoon and get 50,000.”

Here are a couple of other interesting tidbits about IndyCar racing on Canadian TV. That 50,000-plus average was recorded when the races were shown on Sportsnet 360. When they were on Sportsnet 1, that figure dropped to a tad over 37,000.

Here’s something that’s surprising. The most popular IndyCar race in Canada on TV is the Honda Indy Toronto, which in 2018 attracted 125,800. The Indianapolis 500, the crown jewel of IndyCar racing, only attracted 117,500 viewers. However, both those races were watched by more than 100,000 and those are the two races that Sportsnet will make available on “free” television this year.
https://www.wheels.ca/news/racing-ro...n-canadian-tv/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in