IndyCar Series Discussions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-15, 10:30 AM

I wonder if it might be financially feasible for IndyCar and/or IMSA to get their races on 'free' TV in Canada by buying 3 hours of air time on one or two smaller OTA stations like CHCH, which I think would get them on satellite and many cable systems. Their weekend afternoon schedules appear to be almost all paid programming with an old (presumably "public domain") movie. I would think they should be able to sell some automotive related advertising, or other ads to companies who already sponsor the series, races, or teams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-15, 02:43 PM

As someone who has dealt with CHCH, they will send a crew to your town for the morning show for only $500, so I assume without having a crew and just a technician re-broadcasting content it would be a cheap option.

And like you say, it should be easy to sell some ads (even cheaply) just to get on the air - there are plenty of IndyCar or IMSA sponsors that sell lots of products (auto or non-auto related) in Canada.

How much time/effort would it take us to get a deal done?
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-15, 05:39 PM
Veteran

In terms of asking a less tech savvy and/or elderly person to interface between a computer and a TV, video feeds that offer a chromecast option tend to be better. I taught my dad how to use Chromecast in literally 4 minutes, whereas teaching him how to hook up the laptop to HDMI, get the laptop to output the video to the right place, dealing with resolution issues (lots of cheap laptops can't show 1080p and you get really poor quality video if you just mirror), etc. Once it's setup, chromecast is drop dead simple.

That said, hopefully someone is carrying IndyCar. Would be a real shame if it's off the air entirely.

post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-17, 08:46 PM

Possibly going to DAZN. https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1085995341118357505

Quote:
[email protected] is in talks with @DAZNglobal streaming service about a media-rights deal that would likely include multiple regions globally beyond just the previously reported @Spain, should deal be completed, per person familiar.
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-22, 09:46 PM

Well, this stinks. It sure sounds like we will now be geo-blocked from watching IMSA races on their website.
http://imsa.com/news/012019/imsa-wea...-200-countries
Quote:
... live television coverage of the championship will be carried north of the border all season on the Discovery Velocity network, starting with flag-to-flag coverage of this weekend’s Rolex 24...
IMSA.tv will continue to provide live video streaming to international audiences where live television coverage is not offered.
Inglewood likes this.
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-23, 09:13 AM

It's disappointing that these series are killing themselves by making it difficult to watch. I'm not sure how they expect to get new fans if you have to subscribe to some obscure channel through a cable package to watch.

I'm probably the last generation (I'm in my 40's) that will be race fans.

I'm sure the coverage on Velocity will suck. I'm sure they will cut off everything until the green flag for infomercials, and if the race coverage runs longer then the timeslot, cut off the end. They will cut out of the race every 10-12 minutes for a 4-5 minute block of commercials that will repeat endlessly over the 24 hours.

Guess I'll just watch highlights on YouTube of IMSA / WEC from now on. Disappointing.

Still no word on IndyCar either.
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-23, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
I'm sure the coverage on Velocity will suck. I'm sure they will cut off everything until the green flag for infomercials, and if the race coverage runs longer then the timeslot, cut off the end. They will cut out of the race every 10-12 minutes for a 4-5 minute block of commercials that will repeat endlessly over the 24 hours.
I guess Velocity will simply simulcast NBCSN's coverage like TSN as always did with NASCAR. So, Velocity will go to a commercial break when NBC will go to a commercial break. The coverage will be as bad, or as good, as the one in the US.

IMSA races aren't time limited instead of being a set number of laps ? So, going longer then the scheduled timeslot for the coverage is pretty much impossible, no ? By the way, at last year's 24 Hours of Le Mans, Velocity has stayed on air 15 minutes over their scheduled timeslot in order to broadcast all the podium ceremonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
Still no word on IndyCar either.
The first race is only in March. I guess the earliest we could hear something would be at the end of February.

Remember: Sportsnet's 5-year deal for IndyCar in 2013 was only announced on February 26th and the rights for 2018 were never announced.
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-23, 11:47 AM

I have Discovery Velocity and my guide on Telus doesn’t show the race this weekend.
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-24, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckycat View Post
I have Discovery Velocity and my guide on Telus doesn’t show the race this weekend.
Discovery Velocity's website (free preview until Feb 7) has been updated and the race is listed in a 25-hour telecast from 2pm ET Saturday to 3pm ET Sunday (race starts and ends at 2:35pm). The whole race on TV in Canada, but not in the US (7 hours online only).
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-24, 07:04 PM

^
Shows on my Telus guide now.
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-01-25, 01:50 PM

Strap In for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Beginning with Rolex 24 Race This Weekend

Speed junkies rejoice! Discovery Velocity delivers complete coverage of the International Motor Sports Association’s (IMSA) WeatherTech SportsCar Championship series, beginning with the 57th running of the ROLEX 24 from Daytona, Florida this weekend. The flag-to-flag coverage begins Saturday, Jan. 26 at 2 p.m. and runs until Sunday at 3 p.m. ET.

Through a partnership with WeatherTech Canada and Pfaff Automotive Partners, Discovery Velocity joins networks in more than 200 countries delivering live coverage of the championship series to racing fans around the world. With 12 races set to air in the coming months, including Canada’s biggest sports car race of the year, the MOBIL 1 SPORTSCAR GRAND PRIX, Discovery Velocity delivers all the IMSA action to Canadians.

In addition to live coverage, TSN recaps the race highlights with one-hour broadcasts of all WeatherTech Championship events (check local listing for confirmed broadcast details).

Following ROLEX 24, the series moves on to Sebring, Florida for the MOBIL 1 TWELVE HOURS OF SEBRING event from March 13-16 and then on to Long Beach, California for the BUBBA BURGER SPORTSCAR GRAND PRIX AT LONG BEACH from April 12-13.

Full schedule of IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Champisionship events:
https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c.../race-schedule
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-02-12, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I've just take a look here: Broadcast Schedule - Sportsnet.ca, and IndyCar's Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (March 10, 1 pm ET) is not there.
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-02-12, 10:59 PM

Could be they haven't added it to their schedule yet. Could be they haven't finalized purchasing of the rights.

I'm all for sports/leagues starting their own streaming service versus going with cable, but I don't think I care enough about Indycar to purchase a subscription versus just watching it on SN if it happens to be on. That said, if it went to DAZN, that'd be great.
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-02-27, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Still no words about IndyCar's 2019 Canadian broadcast partner.

I have a feeling (hope it's wrong) that IndyCar won't be back on Sportsnet. I don't think it will be on TSN either.

If I had to bet right now, I would go for DAZN (very agressive for motorsport in Spain, IndyCar could be the start for the same thing in Canada) or Discovery Velocity (same kind of deal as IMSA).
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 2019-03-01, 09:59 AM

IndyCar has got a deal with SKY in the UK, using the NBC broadcasts:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...rts-f1-in-2019

Hopefully the Canadian deal will be announced soon...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in