Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DAZN Canada

126K views 432 replies 77 participants last post by  SportsFan 
#1 ·
New sport channel called DAZN is launching in Canada which is similar to Netflix but only for sports:

""""Following the news announced today, DAZN will be the only place Canadians can access NFL Game Pass, which includes every live NFL game of the 2017 season – pre-season, regular season, the playoffs and the Super Bowl. As the new home of NFL Game Pass, which includes all Sunday games previously offered in NFL Sunday Ticket, and NFL RedZone, DAZN will have both live and on-demand NFL coverage with no blackouts meaning fans will never have to miss another epic touchdown, field goal or interception.

DAZN will also provide access to other sports from top leagues and competitions around the world. Monthly and annual packages will be available. Sports fans will be able to subscribe for $20 CAD a month or annually for the limited introductory price of $150 CAD. In addition, all subscribers will get 30 days free.""""""

Wonder if Spotsnet World Now closed because they're partnering with them?

Their full programming online will be announced soon.

#2 ·
Official press release
Live Sports Streaming Service DAZN Launches with Exclusive NFL Game Pass and NFL Redzone Rights in Canada

Revolutionary sports streaming service DAZN will be the only place Canadians can access NFL Game Pass, which includes every live NFL game of the 2017 season - pre-season, regular season, the playoffs and the Super Bowl. As the new home of NFL Game Pass, which includes all Sunday games previously offered in NFL Sunday Ticket, and NFL RedZone, DAZN will have both live and on-demand NFL coverage with no blackouts, meaning fans will never have to miss another epic touchdown, field goal or interception. Available on a wide range of connected devices, including Smart TVs, tablets, smartphones and games consoles, fans can watch DAZN year-round at home or on-the-go.

DAZN will be a game-changer for Canadian sports fans by giving them access to all NFL games live and on-demand as part of NFL Game Pass - where they want, when they want and how they want, any day of the week. Monthly and annual packages will be available. Sports fans will be able to subscribe for $20 a month or annually for a limited introductory price of $150. In addition, all subscribers will get 30 days free.

Along with all other NFL live game and non-game content within NFL Game Pass (see below for full NFL content details), DAZN will also provide access to other popular sports from top leagues and competitions around the world. DAZN's playback experience allows fans to pause live games, catch up on a missed match-up and experience the game in full HD.

To get the latest news alerts and updates about DAZN's launch, register your details at: dazn.com

ABOUT NFL GAMEPASS

NFL Game Pass is a direct-to-consumer digital subscription product offering that includes all live NFL games – preseason, regular season and postseason, NFL RedZone (see below), NFL Network and award-winning NFL FILMS and Network programming. NFL Game Pass has on-demand features to complement the live streaming of games and programming and is available for NFL fans where, when and how they want across all digital devices and platforms.

ABOUT NFL REDZONE

The NFL Network-produced NFL RedZone program brings fans every touchdown of every game on Sunday afternoons with live coverage starting prior to the 1PM EST kick-offs and carrying through the final whistle of the late Sunday afternoon games. Hosted by Scott Hanson of the NFL, NFL RedZone whips around to every NFL game live on Sunday afternoons delivering all of the scoring and most exciting moments live and in high definition. For more information on NFL RedZone, visit NFL.com/redzone.

ABOUT DAZN

DAZN is a live and on-demand sports streaming service that allows fans to watch their sport, their way, live or on-demand. Fans can watch their favourite teams, leagues and players anytime, anywhere, for an affordable monthly price or annual subscription. DAZN has the ability to play, pause and rewind anytime.

DAZN is available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Japan, and now in Canada on most connected devices including Smart TVs, smartphones, tablets and games consoles. DAZN is a part of Perform, a leading global sports media group. Visit DAZN Media Center for more information.

#4 ·
@rush9999 it looks like DAZN doesn't carry European hockey in any of the other countries according to Wikipedia. DAZN is very vague in the press release and Twitter responses about which other sports they will carry in Canada.

Here are the links I posted in the Sportsnet World NOW thread:
Bloomberg article on rumoured launch: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-is-said-to-target-canada-expansion-j53kybeq
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAZN
NFL and Perform Group Enter into Strategic Media Relationship
THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Comes to TSN, CTV, CTV Two, and RDS - Bell Media

What devices can I watch DAZN on?
DAZN is available on virtually any device that has an Internet connection, including Smart TVs, personal computers, tablets, smartphones, and game consoles. While you can watch DAZN on most TVs by using HDMI cables and devices like Google Chromecast, the devices we’ll also be available on for launch in Canada include:

Connected TV’s
  • Android TV
  • Sony CEB
Set Top Boxes / TV devices
  • Google Chromecast
Desktop
  • Both Mac and Windows compatible
  • Chrome
  • Firefox (you need to accept and install Silverlight)
  • Safari
  • Internet Explorer
  • Opera
Tablet
  • Amazon Fire Tablet
  • Android
  • iPad
  • Mobile
  • Android
  • iOS
Games consoles
  • Xbox One
Source: FAQ - WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT DAZN? | Dazn Media Centre

Other links:
https://twitter.com/DAZN_CA
https://www.facebook.com/DAZNCA

#6 ·
It looks like DAZN will also be hiring a French Canadian production team to cover at least "European football and NFL matches."

French Canadian Language Commentator | Perform Group Careers
DAZN are looking for experienced French Canadian Commentators to provide live full match sports commentary for a number of events, including Football, Tennis, Basketball and US Sports.
Other positions:
Senior Producer - Sports (French-Canadian speaking) | Perform Group Careers
Producer - French Canadian (UK0619) | Perform Group Careers
Junior Creative Producer - French Canadian | Perform Group Careers

#9 ·
Does this mean that sports bars will also no longer get Sundayticket thru cable and will have to go thru DAZN to show football?
The Canadian Press article I read yesterday said commercial customers would still get Sunday Ticket.

I wonder how Bell and Rogers are going to respond to DAZN's launching in Canada. Since they are OTT, no license is required.
How would they respond exactly? They lost the rights fairly and squarely to DAZN, as sold to them by the NFL.

So what happens to rural NFL RedZone subscribers who can't stream because they have speed or data cap issues? We're just SOL I guess?
SOL – that is part of living in the boondocks. You can't expect to have the same technology as an urban centre. Blame the government and telcos for that.

#10 ·
I don't get it, Bell just signed a new contract for NFL:

"""
Under the new multi-year deal, NFL regular-season games will air across Bell channels on Thursday, Sunday and Monday.
"""""

So does this mean DAZN can but digital rights for any other leagues no matter who owns the rights for Television? Like Premier league, NBA, Bundesliga, MLB and .... !!!!

#11 ·
Blame the government and telcos for that.
Don't forget the cable ISPs. The blame is squarely on the telco and cable companies. The CRTC set up a fund that provided money for incumbent ISPs for providing high speed internet for rural Canadians. The companies took the money and used it to build urban infrastructure and abandoned the agreement before it was rolled out to rural areas. Some of the money was eventually given back but it illustrates how it's the big ISPs that are to blame. I don't deny that the government could do more but it takes money, and lots of it, to build internet infrastructure of any type. The problem is that nobody wants to pay, not even the people who complain about lack of service. The issue of high issue of speed internet for rural customers needs to be addressed so that companies like DAZN can compete in Canada.

#12 ·
Digital rights and linear TV rights don't have to be sold in the same package if the NFL wants to split them. That's likely what happened.

As for rural users... they don't want to pay the true cost of supplying the service in sparsely populated areas. That means it'll only happen when the government gets urban users to subsidize them.

#14 ·
Rogers has already removed NFLST from the SSP on their website. This was posted on the Rogers Community Forum by a rogers employee

As a fellow Football fan, I’ve got to say I’m as disappointed as you are after hearing that we will no longer be able to offer NFL Sunday Ticket.

The NFL sold all digital rights worldwide (excluding Europe & US) to an online streaming service called DAZN. As part of the new agreement, NFL Sunday Ticket will no longer be available to cable subscribers in Canada starting this season (this includes Bell, Shaw etc.).

Regrettably, this was not our decision. Rogers Super Sports Pak customers will still have access to up to 60% of all NFL football games including all the best match-ups.
Solved: Is NFL Sunday Ticket no longer part of Super Sport... - Rogers Community

I think it is unbelievable that all of the BDUs lost access to NFLST. Now I plan to cancel my SSP subscription + it is unlikely I will subscribe to DAZN because (1) only 2 simultaneous logins (I literally would have 10 TVs setup on some Sundays so that I could watch every game) and (2) I am presuming there will be internet lag on the stream will be behind the TV feed.

So yes I may go to the bar once or twice to catch a game now when I wouldn't have before, but I foresee me watching less football than in past years because of this.

#15 ·
They've removed the Sunday Ticket but they haven't reduced the price of the SSP, go figure. I think this is the way all sports is going, and it likely won't stop with the NFL. They plan on offering the service for between $11 and $15/month with no contract. Similar to Netflix.

#16 ·
DAZN just updated their website:

''''You can also see top European soccer including LaLiga Santander, Ligue 1 and Serie A, plus MotoGP, KHL Hockey, ATP 250 Tennis, PDC Darts, FIBA Basketball and Pro12 Rugby Union - All in HD.''''

Their soccer coverage is same as BEIN Sports Canada but DAZN has on-demand option.

#17 ·
DAZN said on Twitter that their goal is to have Apple TV live before the season starts. They're also working on PS4, but no timeline. Several people have asked about Roku, but there don't seem to be any plans for that.

Roku is popular in the U.S., but doesn't seem to be as popular in Canada or the other countries DAZN operates in.

#20 ·
It wasn't just Canada - the "strategic media relationship covers over 100 countries and territories, including larger markets such as Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, and Turkey."

The Perform Group press release is in post 4.

#22 ·
DAZN just added UEFA Champions League and Europa League so now BEIN sports is just too expensive (150 vs 209.95 annually) with no on-demand option.

I wonder if TSN and Sportsnet are working with DAZN or they just don't hold the digital rights for many sports.

Twitter:

""""Footy fans will definitely get their fix on DAZN. We'll have an update on all our league offerings in the coming days. Stay tuned!"""""

#25 ·
why can't dazn also broadcast the usa college football games too.we are underserved in Canada for a lot of those games.we don't get the acc network and pac12 network in Canada so theres a need for dazn to get the usa college games.all tsn shows are the espn college games and its only a select few of those games.and rogers sport pack college football and basketball on really shows 50% of all the games being broadcasted in the usa.

#29 ·
I think this is the biggest issue. With the Big Ten taking a majority of their conference-controlled games to FOX/FS1 we lose out on a few Power Five games each week that we used to get (at least with the ones that go to FS1). Until either Bell or Rogers or something like the DAZN steps up and either a) is able to broadcast FS1 college football games or b) creates a college football-specific package separate from any cable package, we will start to lose out more and more.