NFL in Canada 2017 Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 09:38 AM

I wonder which local CTV/CTV2 markets are going to get the "junk" match-ups on OTA just so Bell can carry every game. Hopefully the least appealing games end up on TSN.

Luckily I live in range of U.S. OTA signals, but feel bad for those who don't and get stuck with a line-up of lower end teams just to fit Bell's agenda.
emmy1500 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 09:43 AM
Rookie

CTV won't have every game, maybe half of them. Usually the border teams (Patriots, Seahawks, Bills, etc) and the marquee late games. Anything past that is hit-or-miss.

If you want to watch the Titans-Jaguars type games, you'll need DAZN.
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 09:58 AM

@the506 why are saying that? Did I misinterpret Bell's statement that says "Catch every game, every Sunday"? I understand that only applies if Bell is your TV provider since not all providers will carry every time-shifted CTV and CTV Two channel.

post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 10:00 AM
Rookie

" *Based on current TV schedule. Subject to change. "

It's obvious they mean every game on CTV/TSN's schedule, not every game period.
post #20 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 10:06 AM

Then why did Fibe TV just add a whole bunch of HD CTV time-shifted channels and remap them into one range (1451-1465), so you can surf them just like Sunday Ticket? They're clearly planning to carry every game.
post #21 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 10:21 AM
Rookie

To make it easier to surf through the games they do have.
post #22 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 12:01 PM

Dirty pool by Bell and Rogers to circumvent the rights that DAZN legally purchased.

If the show was on the other foot they'd sue DAZN.

Of course they could have offered more games before but didn't want to do that when they had a monopoly on the NFL.

Would love to see them get sued for a change. Crooks that they are.
post #23 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 12:31 PM

Although Bell and Rogers deserve our scorn at times, this is simply business. Isn't competition great. They lost the rights to Sunday Ticket and they have responded and actually done something that happens to be good for the consumer. They have the broadcast rights and they are exercising their right to broadcast as many games as they can. Will this impact DAZN, probably yes. Will they (DAZN) have to up their game, possibly yes.

I wonder if other providers like Shaw and Shaw Direct will create a "Sunday Ticket" channel grouping.
Obed likes this.

LONSat
post #24 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 01:34 PM

Ah so all TNF games (be it on Thursday or on Saturday) will also be on TSN? That is good news. Here in Manitoba we do not get CTV Two and I was worried that we would not be able to watch TNF games that are exclusively on NFLN (weeks 2 and 3 for example).
post #25 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
They lost the rights to Sunday Ticket and they have responded and actually done something that happens to be good for the consumer. They have the broadcast rights and they are exercising their right to broadcast as many games as they can.
I was always impressed with the number of NFL matches available with Canadian and US timeshifting channels on Shaw Direct. So much so I would never have signed up for Sunday Ticket.

That said, I have signed up for DAZN mainly for the real Association Football. NFL "Sunday Ticket" is just gravy.
post #26 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
...I wonder if other providers like Shaw and Shaw Direct will create a "Sunday Ticket" channel grouping.
I think Shaw Cable only carries one set of time-shifting channels, but you may be able to set up a favourites list on Shaw Direct with just the CTV time-shifting channels and the TSNs.
post #27 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 02:12 PM

They key word here is probably "broadcast rights." Presumably the online distribution of matches via TSN and CTV apps will not be permitted and will be blacked out?
post #28 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 02:48 PM

It would make no logical sense to go back to the old dark days of only showing 2 or 3 games each Sunday. If they don't offer ALL games on Sunday you will see every Canadian football fan go back to circumventing the rules once again.
post #29 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 03:42 PM

Here is the response from Bell I got when I questioned what "all available games" means:

Channel CTV - Monday nights, partial Sunday afternoon games, partial Thursday night games - 60% football. Subscribers will be able to catch all the biggest NFL games on CTV and TSN. TSN 2 - Sunday afternoon games (4 PM), 100% coverage. Football fans can now catch all Sunday NFL games with CTV, TSN, and the Time Shifting package.

So to me this means they will show every single game. Better or I'm switching.
post #30 of 178 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obed View Post
They key word here is probably "broadcast rights." Presumably the online distribution of matches via TSN and CTV apps will not be permitted and will be blacked out?
According to post 13, you will be able to stream the games at home:
Quote:
You can even watch and record games at home with your smartphone, tablet or laptop, using the Fibe TV app.
The Fibe TV app has a long list of channels and whether you can stream them at home or on-the-go. It sounds like they are getting down to the program level. I saw something about NFL streaming rights when I was looking at CBS a few days ago, but I didn't look any further. I guess the NFL contracts are very precise.

Tags
nfl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in