CFL 2017 Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 11:29 AM

That might be true for Toronto where CFL is always the black sheep in the city's professional sports landscape. Here in the West, the CFL is as strong as always, particularly now that Western teams are significantly better on average than the Eastern teams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

The CFL Manitoba --> BC is completely different then Ontario/Quebec.

I've been to games in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver and the atmosphere is completely different then here.

Hamilton's new stadium is good - I have no complaints - but the fans are unknowledgeable about the game and spend a lot of time looking at cell phones and drinking. It could be in a better location (I almost stepped in a pile of used syringes when I parked for the home opener), and the wind is ridiculous giving a directional advantage. I usually get free tickets to most games as well so the cost is pretty low to be a Tiger-Cats fan.

Toronto is sad. I paid more to park at BMO field then I paid for tickets to the game! I went to the Hamilton game there this year and it was 3/4 empty, and the fans were wearing 40% Toronto, 40% Hamilton, and 20% Saskatchewan gear. Very weird vibe for a game, but I do like the stadium, it feels safe around the area, and the Argos do put a lot of time and money into non-football events around the stadium and during the game. Just nobody shows up....wish Hamilton had a stadium and extras like the Argos put on for a gameday experience.

Ottawa - haven't been yet since the Redblacks started playing. The Renegades were my last experience and I don't think it is a fair comparison for the CFL today...

Montreal has the worst stadium I've ever been to. The seating is directly on concrete "steps" with lines painted on them. Absolutely freezing in the cold weather! How this is an improvement over Olympic Stadium, beyond costs, is beyond me. I've never been to a stadium with worst seating.

The games I've been to in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver were completely different experiences - knowledgeable fans, very friendly, and have good fun with a Ti-Cats fan like me. The stadiums were fairly packed with more fans than would fit in any eastern stadium (except Vancouver), and it seemed to have a more professional atmosphere.

When you also read about how bad it is to play for a Eastern team vs. a Western team, it is sad. The training facilities in Montreal are the most pathetic.

I also find it amazing that when you watch a game, all the contests are won by viewers Manitoba west as well.

When I travel out west, the games are on with sound at the bars also - in Ontario, good luck finding a bar with a CFL game on...

It will be a big embarrassment if Saskatchewan wins the Eastern title this weekend, and took the easy road to the Grey Cup by finishing 4th in the West - it should have been an all Alberta Grey Cup in my opinion...
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 01:40 PM

Because the contest was originally a Safeway Canada promotion (which only has stores from Thunder Bay to Vancouver), the following rules apply:

https://touchdowntowin.com/rules/score
Quote:
Customers will automatically receive a Safeway/Sobeys $1,000,000 Touchdown to Win entry every time they shop at any Safeway or Sobeys location in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario, providing that their AIR MILES® Card is swiped at the checkout. Entries are valid for a period of two (2) months, after which time the database may be cleared. Customers will receive five (5) bonus entries for each Safeway/Sobeys $1,000,000 Touchdown to Win Featured Item purchased. Collection of entries will begin two (2) weeks prior to Contest Period.
Sobeys West stores were only added to the promotion this year.

Sobey's owned Thrifty Foods and Sobey's Owned IGA Stores in the West do not participate either.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 05:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
It will be a big embarrassment if Saskatchewan wins the Eastern title this weekend, and took the easy road to the Grey Cup by finishing 4th in the West - it should have been an all Alberta Grey Cup in my opinion...
Been true for years, though. I mean, we had that decade where Montreal was the only consistently competitive team in the East, but at least they were competitive. Now it varies from year to year, but the West is almost always better than the East. Often absurdly so, to the point that the playoff format is Eastern welfare.

IIRC a crossover team hasn't ever made it to the Grey Cup, but this may be the year. To be fair, at least they make that possible.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 09:17 AM

Let's be honest: the playoff format is ridiculous. Edmonton's reward for beating Saskatchewan out for first was a much tougher road to the Grey Cup. Ridiculous. After the division winners, the rest of the teams should be seeded 3 through 6 and the 3 and 4 seeds should get the home dates.

I agree with @Inglewood above; I took my daughter to a Ti-Cats game last year. The stadium is beautiful. Very well thought out...except for the fact it's in the same horrible spot Ivor Wynne was in. The fans were pretty into it although it was a game where they pasted the Roughriders so tough not to be into it when you're winning.

As for BMO Field, I have been to it to see TFC play. Great place to watch soccer and it was a fun atmosphere and I'm not even a soccer fan. It looks horrifically bad for Argos games. Empty seats everywhere. Embarrassing. Other than a few seasons here and there, the city hasn't embraced the Argos since the Flutie/Pinball days.

Single Dad, Multiple College/University grad, College Football Superfan, and overall lazy ass.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 11:37 AM

that's not true about two western teams being in the grey cup.one of the first years of cross over when Ottawa was called the rough riders the Winnipeg blue bombers were the cross over team and won the east played Calgary and lost to them
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 11:45 AM

the trouble with the cfl in the east is that the cities that actualy care about the cfl don't have teams and want one.london Windsor Quebec city Halifax and Moncton but the cfl don't care about there future.when I lived in windor there was an American group that tries to buy a franchise for Windsor and play there games in the old tiger stadium but the league was too small thinking to let it happen.until the cfl exspand to all those cities nobdy in the east will care much cause of that stupid cross over rule.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Argos ticket sales surpass 20,000 for East Final against Riders - 3DownNation

Press releases like this are no help for the CFL - the Argos are bragging about selling 20,000 tickets (note the average MLS attendance was 27,000 for Toronto FC this season) for the Eastern FINAL.

Man, if you can't get excited about the conference finals, your fan base is in trouble. If this was any Western team, they would get close to this for a pre-season game. Playoff games would be an easy sell out, especially a final.

I even think two games I went to in Hamilton this year (home opener against BC, and the Labour Day Classic) were sell-outs and the team didn't win a game before either of them occurred.

Toronto has a nice stadium, transportation links (Exhibition Station) within walking distance, it is in a nice area on the lake, has a great tailgating setup (as good as you can get in Canada), concessions are affordable and good, lots of in-stadium entertainment, and still struggle to fill just about 2/3 of the stadium?

If I live near, or in Toronto, I would go to every game - can't figure out why there isn't any fans out of almost 10 million people that could fill the stadium up.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 01:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heans View Post
Halifax and Moncton but the cfl don't care about there future
The CFL has looked at those two multiple times. There's no prospective owner and nowhere to play in either city. Moncton's largest venue is 10,000 seats and got up to around 21,000 for Touchdown Atlantic. Halifax doesn't have anything particularly suitable either. Neither city plans to build anything.

It's not really on the league to build a stadium and own a team itself in a market that may or may not even be all that interested.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
Press releases like this are no help for the CFL - the Argos are bragging about selling 20,000 tickets ...
can't figure out why there isn't any fans out of almost 10 million people that could fill the stadium up.
And I'll believe it when I see it. Just looking at Ticketmaster, there sure seems to be lots of tickets left in almost every section, the same as other games when I've looked in the last couple of years. Regardless of the attendance numbers they make up and think some people will believe, I'm not sure the number of people actually there for most games would have filled the 5000 seat Varsity Stadium.
http://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/st...81214208323584

They largely stopped attracting new fans about 35 or 40 years ago, as shown by survey results and the advanced age of those who still go.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/2015/1...-to-argos.html

Before then the Leafs and Argos were just about the only games in town, but almost everyone since then has grown up in Toronto ignoring the Argos, along with the large percentage of the population who came here from other parts of the world where I assume they probably never heard of the CFL. It's just not realistic to think a large new audience could somehow suddenly appear.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 06:19 PM

Quote:
that's not true about two western teams being in the grey cup.one of the first years of cross over when Ottawa was called the rough riders the Winnipeg blue bombers were the cross over team and won the east played Calgary and lost to them
Actually heans, when the Bombers lost to Calgary in the Grey Cup of 2001 they were playing in the Eastern division that year because the Ottawa team had folded. In the 1992 Grey Cup loss to Calgary they were also playing in the Eastern division because the Montreal team had folded. So technically there has never been 2 Western division teams in the Grey Cup game
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 10:14 PM
Veteran

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 12:43 PM
Rookie

I have been a RedBlacks season ticket holder since the return in 2014. Always a great atmosphere at TD Place. Sold out almost every game! I will be at the GC game this Sunday!
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 01:25 PM

I rather go to the vanier cup.it doesn't cost you an arm and leg to buy a ticket and the football in university ball is way more exciting than the cfl.this years should be a classic too western verses lavalle.nuber 1 verses number 2 .besides you can stream every Ontario university football and basketball game for free any where in the world for free.the future of sports will be through streaming not by the big cable companies as now

Tags
cfl , tsn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in