Super Bowl Discussions - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 202Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-10, 03:52 PM

My favourite thing about this whole debate is that people want to watch advertising.

I'll be DVR'ing the game for the first hour, then start watching it so I don't have to see any commercials.
faston, dheian and Wheelman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-10, 05:14 PM
Veteran

I'd do that too, if I had to watch the lame Canadian commercials. :P

The American ones are interesting, have high production values, and are part of the experience. The rerun of the one for Franks Diner is not.
post #63 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-10, 07:32 PM

Just a friendly reminder there are no simsubs on the OTA antenna.

Watch the SuperBowl using an antenna, tune into the US Network carrying the game, and you will see all the US commercials.

post #64 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-10, 08:08 PM
Veteran

Just a friendly reminder that not all of us live within range of U.S. OTA.

Not that I care....If I want to watch them I'll get them from YouTube.
kcbrk32 and DSgamby like this.

Last edited by 57; 2017-01-10 at 09:11 PM. Reason: UQR
post #65 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 12:57 AM

Some of us want the whole TV game experience which means seeing the commercials as they come, and not on youtube.
emmy1500 likes this.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #66 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 07:39 AM

I don't remember where I read or heard this, but feel free to prove me wrong:

Apparently the length of a US commercial/commercial break is different to what is standard in Canada, which is why you see those little in-house advertising bumpers playing before it abruptly crashes back into the US telecast.

I could just be pulling s**t out of my ass though.
post #67 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 09:35 AM

I buy commercial time on local Canadian channels and understand the commercial breaks on U.S. stations and Canadian ones are the same length (typically 30 second blocks) - however, the difference in those breaks is that local stations get 10-15 second segments during a break for local info such as a quick weather update, or what is coming up on the news.

Canadian channels typically re-sell these mini-spots to advertisers - probably the most Canadian way of doing this is the "Closed Captioning brought to you by BRAND XYZ" spots, however, some channels do use the break for local updates.

Different channels also split up ad time differently - major networks typically have about 16 minutes per hour of time, with about 15 minutes for advertisers. Some specialty networks have 20+ minutes of pure advertising spots available in Canada.

For the Super Bowl (I can only speak for Canadian advertising), the ads are split between national and local ad breaks, and the rates vary with the more you buy. I assume some of the large breweries and car companies buy the biggest chunk from CTV at a discount well in advance, and smaller companies pick up the scraps through re-sellers. The ads that don't sell become full length spots for CTV, or probably other Bell products, and the local spots that the U.S. affiliates have for news/weather updates typically during NFL games become small bumpers for other CTV programming if they do not sell them.
Dr.Dave and ticky like this.
post #68 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 12:40 PM

I found a few nuggets...they're below...

Upon Further Review, the Ruling Should Stand: Why the CRTC Made the Right Call on the Super Bowl Simsub Ban - Michael Geist

Why a media coalition is decrying a CRTC ruling on Super Bowl feeds - The Globe and Mail

And for those wondering, I do agree that the SimSub policy be sent to the darkest, hottest pits of Canadian TV hell. Let it cook for all eternity.

=P
kcbrk32, emmy1500 and Wheelman like this.
post #69 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 06:29 PM

Some speciality channels have 20 minute...
I guess that explains why CBC's Documentary channel has more ads than program. My remote can skip 3 minutes and I have to FFWD after that.
Curse them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #70 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 08:26 AM
Veteran

20 minutes of ads, then they sit around and wonder why people are cutting the cord.
post #71 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 09:49 AM

The 20+ minutes are pure advertising - you also have to note that most programming, including the Super Bowl, has all the other advertising built into the program (Pepsi half-time show, Chevy Post-Game show, Home Depot tools to the game, Bud Light hit of the game, logos on jerseys, branded apparel being worn by the announcers, etc. etc.)

It's only time until the NFL starts seeking more cash, and sells adds on the field and sidelines like the CFL, and eventually will have branded jerseys that many soccer clubs have, and even targeted local ads like MLB and the NHL have overlayed onto the broadcast.

Global even tried to do the overlay on the field with Harvey's ads and other advertisers during the Super Bowl about 10 years ago - that was one year simsub was horrible for Canadians.

It will probably come to the point where we count the seconds per hour that advertising doesn't exist.

The NFL is probably the best for not having continuous advertising during the game - other then jerseys and shoes that aren't blatant.

I always laugh when sports, like Formula 1 that I am a fan of, advertise that they have advert free races on some foreign networks - when the race name, cars, and everyone involved is walking billboards...
post #72 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 12:41 PM

I think the NFL specifically avoids on-field advertisements, with few exceptions like Gatorade, Microsoft and Bose. It has big enough TV contracts that all advertisements are directed towards the TV.

By the nature of its game, soccer needs jersey sponsors as its game only have 15 continuous minutes to put TV ads on.
post #73 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 04:45 PM
Veteran

There's only 11 minutes of actual action in a football game. Plenty of time to cram more ads in to the 180+ minute broadcast.
post #74 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 11:17 AM

I just sent a tweet to the CRTC, about this topic....bit of a gutsy move on my part, but I figured to myself, why not?

https://twitter.com/RaginRonic/statu...26971878617088

Probably won't amount to much, but better to have given them an idea than to have backed off completely on this. XB
post #75 of 400 (permalink) Old 2017-01-19, 11:19 AM

Apology for the double post, but Montreal media person Steve Faguy posted this on his site today.

16 bogus arguments about the CRTC and Super Bowl ads | Fagstein

Tags
bell media , crtc , ctv , super bowl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in