TSN expanding to 5 channels - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 07:14 PM

I like what TSN does with the CFL as well as hockey.

I don't like to watch hockey on Sportsnet, and their SportsNet Connected is not as good as SportsCenter.

Now with the extra channels programs like NFL Live and NFL 32 will not get bumped out of the lineup everytime there is Golf or Tennis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 09:13 PM
Veteran

The problem with these channels is that TSN is heavily loaded at certain times of the week, at certain times of the year. They might have four things going on at once.

Then summer rolls around, and if a CFL game isn't happening that night, TSN has nothing most of the week. They were showing movies one year, they had so little content.

So in the summer, this is going to be, what? Four channels of talking heads telling us about the NHL draft two months in advance? Barf.

(I also remember having a Grand Prix moved off TSN due to scheduling. I can't remember if it was the Canadian GP or the US GP, but they actually moved it in my area to CTV2 for some reason and I only got that in SD. It sucked.)
post #48 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 10:14 PM

Quote:
telling us about the NHL draft two months in advance
A whole lot better than Poker besides there is also free agency.

Quote:
I can't remember if it was the Canadian GP or the US GP, but they actually moved it in my area to CTV2
It was the US GP.

post #49 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 02:14 AM

Let me put it this way; the fact TSN even needs five channels is proof alone that Bell is just way too big, period. Why we don't have a third major group of sports channels yet, I will never know; think Quebecor could do well with an English-language sports channel if nabbed sufficient programming?
post #50 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
So in the summer, this is going to be, what? Four channels of talking heads telling us about the NHL draft two months in advance? Barf.
They have many more MLB games they can show starting this season.
post #51 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 08:57 AM

Viper
Quote:
think Quebecor could do well with an English-language sports channel if nabbed sufficient programming?
LOL. They can't even nab french programming. They have Rogers do all the leg work and negotiating. They just sit back and wait for Rogers to resell the french rights to Videotron. All the programming on TVA Sports is on SportsNet.
post #52 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 09:03 AM

Sorry to nitpick but it is incorrect. TVA Sports has the exclusive for a number of Montreal Impact regular-season league games. They are not available anywhere else in Canada.
post #53 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismag View Post
Just read about this in the paper. Seems TSN wants to time shift Sports Centre more!
I'm really wondering how they're going to execute that. You can't simply "time shift" a sports newscast, especially doing it during dinner hour when, as you go further west (as far as time goes) you start to get more games, it'll mean more live updates, changes to some broadcasts, etc. Plus, I'm assuming they're looking at 6:00 SportsCentres for the Maritimes, East, Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones, then the usual 11:00 ones. What I'm wondering about is staff. Are you going to have the staff do five different SCs all in a row (an exhausting amount of work for live broadcast TV) or are you going to increase your staff by as much as five times the amount.

I'm actually happy that there's going to be additional channels for a lot of the stuff they have that they don't have the capacity for right now (NCAA tourney comes to mind). But the SC stuff...sounds very ambitious to me.
post #54 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 09:59 AM

Location: Scarborough, Rogers Cable, 8642HD, LG 55LW5600, Sony BDVE980W
Since Bell is the owner of HBO Canada (along with Corus), would it be possible that some of the HBO sports programming which can't run on HBO Canada due to license restrictions could be shifted to the TSN channels now that there are so many channels that have schedules to fill?
post #55 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 11:51 AM
Veteran

That will all depend on who has the broadcast rights in Canada, just because the event is on HBO in the US doesn't mean HBO Canada has the same rights.
post #56 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 12:12 PM

Hercules, that is one of the few things that TVA sports got on its own. However, the majority of the high profile sports such as NHL,NFL, INDY,MLB, UFC all are on SportsNet. Then Rogers sells it to Quebecor.
post #57 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymeister View Post
Since Bell is the owner of HBO Canada (along with Corus), would it be possible that some of the HBO sports programming which can't run on HBO Canada due to license restrictions could be shifted to the TSN channels now that there are so many channels that have schedules to fill?
Have the license restrictions been an issue? It's a maximum of 5% sports, with a maximum of 20 hours in any week. I can't remember them getting close to those limits.

Last edited by SportsFan; 2014-05-08 at 03:56 PM. Reason: corrected %
post #58 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 07:56 AM

Location: Scarborough, Rogers Cable, 8642HD, LG 55LW5600, Sony BDVE980W
I'm kind of confused about that. I can understand if it's a matter of Canadian rights for live sports events. But I never understood why a show like Real Sports is not shown in Canada, while Showtime's 60 Minutes Sports is.
post #59 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 08:13 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but TVA Sports is also adding a second channel in the near future.
post #60 of 243 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 10:12 PM

Yes it has been mentioned in another thread. They needed to do that.

Tags
tsn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in