Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Graphics for TSN

105K views 323 replies 34 participants last post by  PsychoJason 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Been wondering about this for a while now, when will TSN start using their onscreen graphics displays for their regular programming?

I have noticed they new backdrops, new scorebugs/bars, commercials and a re-done bottom line, everything except for SC and their main graphics. I do love watching hockey, baseball, and some football, but its seems TSN has been in this design since the mid 2000's and seem to be unwilling to change for whatever reason. I do enjoy their news, broadcasts, reports and so on, but it would be nice for a revamped look, it just so looks tiring and boring now. As for the other network's, CBC Sports and Sportsnet, they have revamped theirs to a fresh up to date look, which I like very much.

Its not my intent to come across with the only reason I watch these networks is just for the look, I love the sports they cover, but its always refreshing to see what each network has to offer as their own brand and ways of covering their broadcasted sports. For those wondering what my teams are, well here they are, in baseball: NY Mets, Toronto Blue Jays; hockey: Ottawa Senators, Dallas Stars. Have been paying attention to the return of the Jets and following the NHL involving the new alignment for next season.

Its nice to be here, hoping to stay for a while, just my few thoughts on TSN.

Newfievolt. :)

See less See more
#10 ·
I have been aggravated by how this "transition" has been going.

ESPN has actually gone through about 4 different graphics packages and 2 SportsCenter looks since TSN adopted their current "red/grey/yellow" graphics

For the record, that's:
  • MNF 2006 (the red/black ones with the animated stuff)
  • MNF 2009 (the silver/sparkle one)
  • MLB 2011 (the touchups to MNF 2009 with the panel lower thirds and touched up scoreboards. TSN only uses the MLS scoreboard from it and nothing else)
  • MNF 2011 (which seems to be the direction ESPN is going in, given the new replay transition and their BCS logo transition almost being just like the MNF one)

Then, there was the SportsCenter redesign that also originated things like the new "glossy" BottomLine which TSN started using last year as well.

If anything, they should seriously just walk up to ESPN, and get them to build them a completely new package with the same quality of their own, and stop with the partial transitions. Even Sportsnet did a partial transition to a different look before going in a completely different direction (see, Blue Jays and Rogers Cup tennis last year with the "deep blue" package, before the Fueled by Fans relaunch). It's looking dated, and seriously just needs to be redone from scratch. I was expecting it all to come out at the World Juniors, but no...

#12 ·
So i was bored earlier and decided to take like 5 minutes to make up some mock concepts as to what Sportscentre here would look like with ESPN esque graphics.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1jf3c.jpg Original
http://i42.tinypic.com/4v2qgm.jpg Altered

And here's one with no real comparison shot because it didn't have any graphics in the shot
http://i43.tinypic.com/2lve1js.jpg

Honestly i can't see why they don't use the ESPN version of the bottom line being that A. it looks way better ascetically and B. In my opinion, it fits the screen better.

#14 ·
Okay, another thing; I look at RDS: their SportsCentre equivalent Sports30 (which has always used the RIS ticker, by the way) seems to have gotten a new look recently.

I cannot believe that they seem to have progressed further in rolling out a new look than TSN has. They've even shifted to the "16:9 for everything" format too.

Also in other news, speaking of imitating ESPN, Connected has brought back the Rundown as well.

#16 ·
I'm really hoping that TSN will soon update their look, and sound. Maybe when they switch to full 16:9 aspect, they will update things.

Example: when Muchmusic updated their logo, and released their new network look, they also launched their HD simulcast at the same time.

So, maybe when TSN decides to change their bottomline or update their graphics, they will change their aspect ration from "4:3 safe area" to "full HD 16:9"

#19 ·
There must be something wrong with them, or they aren't melding with other elements... But when they are on the double-ender boxes, you can see new format graphics around the boxes. But yet again, the lower thirds and full page graphics haven't changed...

#22 ·
They use the double-line ticker (which is also new BTW, they introduced it last April) on SportsCentre because they, and many viewers, prefer it. I prefer TSN's ticker to ESPN's (theScore's is the best though).

I am told that last Monday was the beginning of the final role out of TSN's new package. I wasn't given a timetable on when to expect more, but if I had to guess the NHL playoffs would make sense.

#25 ·
@NBJosh I don't know, Personally I've always thought aesthetically the ESPN style bottomline matched up better with there Red and Silver chrome graphic packages. The Current version of the bottomline there using now I don't think is any better, it just has more polish to it.

If they could somehow meld the 2 of them (somehow adding a continuous scrolling scoreboard like on the bottom right of the TSN one to the ESPN one) it could be the best of both worlds IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.