New Graphics for TSN - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 318 (permalink) Old 2011-12-06, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

New Graphics for TSN

Hello all,

Been wondering about this for a while now, when will TSN start using their onscreen graphics displays for their regular programming?

I have noticed they new backdrops, new scorebugs/bars, commercials and a re-done bottom line, everything except for SC and their main graphics. I do love watching hockey, baseball, and some football, but its seems TSN has been in this design since the mid 2000's and seem to be unwilling to change for whatever reason. I do enjoy their news, broadcasts, reports and so on, but it would be nice for a revamped look, it just so looks tiring and boring now. As for the other network's, CBC Sports and Sportsnet, they have revamped theirs to a fresh up to date look, which I like very much.

Its not my intent to come across with the only reason I watch these networks is just for the look, I love the sports they cover, but its always refreshing to see what each network has to offer as their own brand and ways of covering their broadcasted sports. For those wondering what my teams are, well here they are, in baseball: NY Mets, Toronto Blue Jays; hockey: Ottawa Senators, Dallas Stars. Have been paying attention to the return of the Jets and following the NHL involving the new alignment for next season.

Its nice to be here, hoping to stay for a while, just my few thoughts on TSN.

Newfievolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 318 (permalink) Old 2011-12-06, 07:24 PM
Veteran

If I had to guess, World Juniors. They already used them once, on the Skate Canada figure skating in October.
post #3 of 318 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

That could be what they are waiting for, or either that implement them for the new year at the beginning of January.

post #4 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Looks like TSN is holding off of anything for now, my best bet would be either in April for the start of the post-seasons, or maybe in October for the start of the new sports season. They seem really reluctant for some reason.
post #5 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 05:31 PM

October is the start of the "sports season"?
post #6 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Only sport that counts.
post #7 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 09:37 PM

No, that starts around Canada Day.
post #8 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

What I meant was, that October is really the prime time to do it, since the new TV season just underway, MLB playoffs begins, NBA & the NHL begins regular season play.
post #9 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 08:32 AM

Maybe they are waiting for their leader, ESPN, to change things first.
post #10 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classof83 View Post
Maybe they are waiting for their leader, ESPN, to change things first.
I have been aggravated by how this "transition" has been going.

ESPN has actually gone through about 4 different graphics packages and 2 SportsCenter looks since TSN adopted their current "red/grey/yellow" graphics

For the record, that's:
  • MNF 2006 (the red/black ones with the animated stuff)
  • MNF 2009 (the silver/sparkle one)
  • MLB 2011 (the touchups to MNF 2009 with the panel lower thirds and touched up scoreboards. TSN only uses the MLS scoreboard from it and nothing else)
  • MNF 2011 (which seems to be the direction ESPN is going in, given the new replay transition and their BCS logo transition almost being just like the MNF one)

Then, there was the SportsCenter redesign that also originated things like the new "glossy" BottomLine which TSN started using last year as well.

If anything, they should seriously just walk up to ESPN, and get them to build them a completely new package with the same quality of their own, and stop with the partial transitions. Even Sportsnet did a partial transition to a different look before going in a completely different direction (see, Blue Jays and Rogers Cup tennis last year with the "deep blue" package, before the Fueled by Fans relaunch). It's looking dated, and seriously just needs to be redone from scratch. I was expecting it all to come out at the World Juniors, but no...
post #11 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-20, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

TSN currently using them live on their skating broadcast, only event yet I seen them with it, except for the one graphic on TH2N for rapid fire.
post #12 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-20, 05:40 PM

So i was bored earlier and decided to take like 5 minutes to make up some mock concepts as to what Sportscentre here would look like with ESPN esque graphics.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1jf3c.jpg Original
http://i42.tinypic.com/4v2qgm.jpg Altered

And here's one with no real comparison shot because it didn't have any graphics in the shot
http://i43.tinypic.com/2lve1js.jpg

Honestly i can't see why they don't use the ESPN version of the bottom line being that A. it looks way better ascetically and B. In my opinion, it fits the screen better.
post #13 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-21, 06:17 AM

I just wish they would take those HUGE olympic rings off.
post #14 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-01-28, 12:46 PM

Okay, another thing; I look at RDS: their SportsCentre equivalent Sports30 (which has always used the RIS ticker, by the way) seems to have gotten a new look recently.

I cannot believe that they seem to have progressed further in rolling out a new look than TSN has. They've even shifted to the "16:9 for everything" format too.

Also in other news, speaking of imitating ESPN, Connected has brought back the Rundown as well.
post #15 of 318 (permalink) Old 2012-02-16, 11:21 PM

Noticed a new graphic for "Trade Verdict" on Sportscentre... also they have been airing a newer looking Tradecentre promo the past couple weeks, maybe new graphics will come in on Feb 27?? All day event, and a MONDAY... Hmmm

RCA 26" HDTV - (ATSC/QAM Tuner) - 720p/1080i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in