Bell secures Canadian broadcast rights to FIFA World Cup thru 2022 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Interesting that they will show games on both CTV and TSN. The question is, will they go back to their past practice of only showing the final on CTV or will they learn from the CBC and realize that the record audiences for the final were due in part to the excitement built by showing most games on the main network.

Getting off topic I know, but I wonder if other future sports deals (like CFL football and World Junior Hockey) will be bought by parent Bell rather than subsidiary TSN to allow games to be shown on CTV.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

My guess is that most games will be on TSN. Bell Media is interested in maximizing profits not viewers therefore they will want to show it on TSN in order to increase the number of monthly subscribers.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Certainly quite possible and CTV/TSN has certainly had a bad record in that regard. It all depends which they think will give them more money, subscriber revenue from people subscribing to TSN just to watch the World Cup, or increased advertising revenue from more people watching the World Cup final.

The CBC managed to double the audience and I suspect having more games on the main network contributed to that. How much it contributed is the key as I am sure there are other factors as well.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

CBC has 2014 World Cup so I imagine Bell Media will be analyzing the results pretty carefully in order to develop a strategy for 2015 and 2018 events.

2022 is a long way off so a lot can change. We may not even have "conventional" television stations by then. (and please lets not get into a discussion about that here!)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 07:38 PM
Veteran

As I recall "Bell Media" (or at the time CTVGlobemedia) did buy rights to the World Juniors and curling's Season of Champions. They use that name when they are buying TV (English and French), online etc. It has been used before with events that see no coverage on CTV. For Skate Canada, CTV showed 4 hours of coverage. TSN and TSN2 had over double that apiece, I believe.

The 2015, 2018 and 2022 finals will (probably in the case of 2015) have to be on CTV. Everything else can air on TSN/TSN2. I could see a Canada game at the 2015 World Cup airing on CTV as well. It may depend on what conflicts TSN has (ex. US Open golf, Formula 1, Wimbledon in June).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 09:07 AM
Veteran

I am not sure about the World Juniors (though Wikipedia seems to think the deal is with TSN, but there is no reference), but I do know the deal with the CFL was with TSN, not CTVgm. That deal is expiring next year so we should see a new one soon.

Getting back to the World Cup, none of the 2015 games will be on CTV as NB Josh suggested as CBC has the broadcast rights for it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
Getting back to the World Cup, none of the 2015 games will be on CTV as NB Josh suggested as CBC has the broadcast rights for it.
Incorrect. See post #1. CBC has FIFA world cup until 2014 and then Bell Media has it from 2015 until 2022.

Tags
bell , bell media , ctv , fifa , rds , soccer , tsn , world cup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in