Stanley Cup Final Pre & Post Game shows - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Stanley Cup Final Pre & Post Game shows

There are a lot of options: Canucks Connected, That's Hockey 2, NHL On The Fly, CBC's Seeking Stanley. What are your favourite pre- and post-game shows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 12:41 AM
Veteran

Exclamation

It's painful to watch the TSN crew of Duthie, Ferraro and Mackenzie squirreled away in a dark closet shot by a webcam. Much prefer their commentary than the Sportsnet crew, but SN has better production values. CBC's locally-produced Seeking Stanley with Martin Short - er, Stuart Foxman - is pretty pathetic, can't even spool up the game highlights in HD.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 01:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels Stewart View Post
It's painful to watch the TSN crew of Duthie, Ferraro and Mackenzie squirreled away in a dark closet shot by a webcam. Much prefer their commentary than the Sportsnet crew, but SN has better production values. CBC's locally-produced Seeking Stanley with Martin Short - er, Stuart Foxman - is pretty pathetic, can't even spool up the game highlights in HD.
LOL totally agree about Seeking Stanley, especially the Martin Short observation.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 03:31 AM

If it at a more timely spot, ie not an hour after end of game, I'd say That's Hockey2Nite with Kouleas.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I like the analysis from the HNIC guys (Healy, Hrudey, Hughson) on Seeking Stanley, but I should probably change the channel and check out some of the others.

Are Duthie, Ferraro and Mackenzie doing segments on Sportscentre or That's Hockey2Nite?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 03:56 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

With only one or two more episodes left, the only change I would make on CBC's "Seeking Stanley" would be to haveJodey Vance go back to being host/interviewer, with Karin Larsen and Shane Foxman continuing as feature reporters. Former New Westminster Bruin and NHL great Cliff Ronning is having a tiny bit of trouble unwinding and relaxing in his role as commentator. I'd like to see former play-by-play man Jim Robson commenting more too.

BTW Foxman has been called "Ed Grimley" for centuries...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 08:20 PM
Veteran

I've been watching SportsCentre after the games for the press conferences and some analysis from Duthie/McKenzie/Ferraro/McGuire. The Sportsnet guys are too Vancouver biased IMO, especially Garrett.

For pre-shows, I catch some of That's Hockey on some nights. If CBC has one, then I usually watch it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-12, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nels Stewart
Quote:
CBC's locally-produced Seeking Stanley with Martin Short - er, Stuart Foxman - is pretty pathetic, can't even spool up the game highlights in HD.
Just so you know, it is Shane Foxman. I agree that it is weird that the highlights are not in HD.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-12, 06:51 PM

The NHL Network is the best national post game show that is offered. Second place goes to Sportsnet Connected with its mix of regional and national commentators.

For regional post game shows, Seeking Stanley on CBUT (CBC Vancouver) is decent. It has had good ratings in British Columbia and viewers in the rest of the country who receive that channel on satellite and digital cable have been watching it too. The Stanley Show on Global BC with Squire Barnes has also been good to watch. Through out the playoffs it airs at 2330h Pacific, Monday to Friday.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-12, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
The Stanley Show on Global BC with Squire Barnes has also been good to watch. Through out the playoffs it airs at 2330h Pacific, Monday to Friday.
I've seen promos for The Stanley Show. That's immediately after the news. Does it run for the full half hour or do they squeeze in other sports?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-14, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels Stewart View Post
CBC's locally-produced Seeking Stanley with Martin Short - er, Stuart Foxman - is pretty pathetic, can't even spool up the game highlights in HD.
Must be a CBC News issue. Even the highlights on The National weren't HD.

I caught the last half of The Stanley Show and wasn't particularly impressed. What do you like about it?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-14, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by SportsFan
Quote:
I've seen promos for The Stanley Show. That's immediately after the news. Does it run for the full half hour or do they squeeze in other sports?
The vast majority of the show is about the Canucks and the show is 35 minutes long.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-15, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

It's 11:35 to 12:05, a half hour.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-16, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

That was the best Seeking Stanley ever.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-06-16, 05:27 PM

Found it sad that CTV Vancouver showed all the coverage in HD and yet from the scene of the riot they had a good HD feed, while CBC had a terrible camera that they were doing interviews with at Rogers Arena, almost looked like a cell phone.

Tags
nhl , stanley cup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in