Tennis On TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
post #1 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-22, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Tennis On TV

Roland Garros Grand Slam
Raonic is playing Monday as the 4th match on a court with the 1st match starting at 5am EDT so he'll be playing approx noon. Although TSN's coverage is going to 2pm, since there are 11 courts with 4 matches each (& 4 courts with 3 matches) I'm guessing the possibility of seeing Milos will be slim to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-23, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Raonic will start playing at 12:40pm EDT.
I don't believe the court he's on has any tv coverage.
post #3 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-23, 02:43 PM
Rookie

On Sunday TSN provided ESPN coverage. I caught the last hour of Monday's coverage and it was from some international feed. Wonder how TSN decides each day which coverage to go with when there's both an ESPN and international feed.

post #4 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-23, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Farewell to clay courts for Milos (AND left handed players?). On to grass.

I don't think ESPN was broadcasting tennis today which would explain the international feed.
post #5 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-23, 08:44 PM
Rookie

TSN usually only uses the ESPN feed for day 1. The US coverage of Roland Garros is really screwed up. The Tennis Channel has coverage from 5am-noon, then ESPN2 has a couple hours of live coverage and then lots of tape delayed coverage. TSN just goes with the international feed because it is continueos. At least the international feed is in HD this year, in the past it wasn't.
post #6 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 11:40 AM
Rookie

sportsnet's coverage is much better than tsn's, i hope sportsnet takes over the grand slams too
post #7 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 03:40 PM
Rookie

How is Sportsnet's coverage any different from TSN's? They both pick up an international feed and pretty much air coverage from the time play begins, until it ends. The only difference if Sportsnet picked up coverage would be it would probably almost exclusively be on Sportsnet One, cutting out those without digital.

You would probably see changes at Wimbledon and the US Open, where they would probably go with the international feeds over ESPN. That would be great at Wimbledon (where the international feed is BBC commentators), but not really at the US Open where most of the top commentators are working for ESPN and/or CBS. There wouldn't be any changes for Roland Garros though.
post #8 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Kim Clijsters vs. Anastasiya Yakimova was on ESPN2 live today. Anyone know if TSN picked up their coverage or that of the international feed?
post #9 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 04:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
Kim Clijsters vs. Anastasiya Yakimova was on ESPN2 live today. Anyone know if TSN picked up their coverage or that of the international feed?
International feed
post #10 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-25, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Aleksandra Wozniak plays C. Wozniacki Wednesday on the main court at 5am EDT and that should be on the tv coverage but you never know.
Rebecca Marino plays the 2nd match on a court whose tv coverage is unknown.

Last edited by scrubby; 2011-05-25 at 12:43 AM. Reason: day
post #11 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-26, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Good job TSN showing the Aleksandra Wozniak match live in its entirety. When the announcers in the opening of the broadcast summarized the day's matches and said they were going to cover the Federer match, someone at TSN was thinking and switched to the Wozniak match.
post #12 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 10:55 PM
Rookie

nb josh the only reason i said that was because the grand slam coverage on tsn sometimes stops even though play is still going on and that doesn't usually happen on masters events covered by sportsnet. and every now and then, tsn will just not air a given session, even if its an important one with good matches lined up. at least thats what ive observed in the past. but i guess you're right, its just all about the international feeds they're getting.
post #13 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 01:47 PM
Rookie

Djokovic-Federer SPOILER!

A game or so before the start of the first set tie-break in the Djokovic-Federer I put on NBC (Detroit affiliate on Shaw Direct) just to check out their coverage. As soon as the first point of the tie break ended the tennis went off, replaced by some Global branded programme. I missed the next point but put TSN (international feed) back on for the rest of the set. I figured it was another one of these simsub issues that would be sorted out in a minute or so. However, I've just come back from an errand during which I missed most of the second set and the NBC channel is still showing the programme. I checked the Global schedule and it says House is supposed to be on. Assuming that is what is on NBC at present that means we are 45 minutes into the hour and NBC is still showing a Canadian feed even though they are supposed to be covering tennis until 2pm ET.

I don't know how many people in Canada get NBC but don't get TSN but even if they are few and far apart this is just totally unacceptable that after all these years (I recall this happening in the mid-90s during Wimbledon) they still can't fix this problem of US network programming being replaced with some programming from a Canadian network.
post #14 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 02:01 PM
Rookie

I really really hope this is rebroadcast tonight... I'm at work and missing the match!
post #15 of 252 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 02:06 PM
Rookie

OK, now I'm really confused. At 2pm, after House - branded with the Global label- ended, the NBC feed of the tennis was picked up again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in