Barclays EPL Coming to TSN2 in August - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Barclays EPL Coming to TSN2 in August

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=322044

TSN2 has come to terms on a multi-year agreement that will give the network Canadian broadcast rights to exclusive Barclays Premier League (BPL) matches over the next three seasons.

The announcement is the latest high profile acquisition for TSN2. Last week, the network announced the addition of Major League Baseball's marquee Sunday Night Baseball.

"The Premier League has a large and dedicated following in Canada and with the popularity of international soccer continuing to grow across the country we are thrilled to bring Canadian fans some of the world's best soccer on TSN2," said Phil King, President of TSN.

Barclays Premier League is widely regarding as one of the top soccer leagues in the world and is also one of the most-watched. Made up of 20 member clubs, the English-based league includes some of the most popular teams in the world of soccer such as Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and more.

Beginning in August, TSN2 will feature live BPL matches over the next three years.

The agreement includes Saturday games featuring some of the Premier League's most popular teams (airing in the morning in Eastern Time) along with weeknight matches (airing in the afternoon in Eastern Time). Details on TSN2's Barclays Premier League broadcast schedule will be confirmed in August.

RCA 26" HDTV - (ATSC/QAM Tuner) - 720p/1080i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 05:45 PM
Veteran

This press release provides a little more information.

This sounds good, means 2 lives matches on TSN2 a week, in better timeslots than the one on The Score. I'd much rather have matches on Saturday mornings than Sunday at noon. And Monday afternoon is good, even though I'll miss the first half most weeks.

And Sportsnet will have live matches as well, I'm expecting they will keep first or second choice of 10am games and maybe the Saturday afternoon game. Its hard to tell though because they like giving Setanta big games to increase subscribers.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up

Guess I'll have to keep the Setanta subscription. Four network coverage is a vast improvement over just a few years ago!

Samsung LN4665, Optik TV, Xbox360, Paradigm/Sound Dynamics, Sony A/V Receiver

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
This ... means 2 lives matches on TSN2 a week, in better timeslots than the one on The Score.
Maybe for you, but for audiences in general the later games are better. 4:30 am PT is a tough time for viewers.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 08:21 PM
DT1

Quote:
Four network coverage is a vast improvement over just a few years ago!
The Score might not bother with EPL now that they have Italian league.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 09:03 PM
Veteran

The Score won't have the Premier League in 2010, Sportsnet, TSN2 and Setanta will share coverage.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 11:17 PM

I really hope the Sunday later game that was on The Score will be on Sportsnet and not Setanta
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 03:13 AM

I really, really hope TSN2 doesn't have the stupid scoreboard running along the bottom for these games, never liked it on The Score even though they made it smaller.

Last edited by The White Pele; 2010-05-20 at 08:23 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 05:19 AM

Ya definally hope Setanta doesnt' show the Sunday game.. Unless they get HD feed
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 09:30 AM

oh great...on tsn2..there is another useless digital channel getting exclusive content. Im sure regular TSN will have the greatest repeats of sportscenter on during games...blah!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 02:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Pele View Post
I really, really hope TSN2 doesn't have the stupid scoreboard running along the bottom for these games, never liked it on The Score even though they made it smaller.
I don't think that they will. Someone can correct me, but I think they will be picking up the ESPN2 feed and the Premier League doesn't let ESPN2 run the bottom line during matches. It really depends on what ESPN2 does though.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 04:44 PM
PFD

What channel does Rogers carry TSN2? I'm not even sure if I get it or not. Damned if I'm going to pay more money now.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Not sure of the channel #, but its in the VIP package. Certainly wouldn't cost as much as Setanta, with 2 HD matches per week.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 05:03 PM

There isn't a Monday match every week. I'd guess roughly half the time there will be two matches per week on TSN2.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
This press release provides a little more information.

This sounds good, means 2 lives matches on TSN2 a week, in better timeslots than the one on The Score. I'd much rather have matches on Saturday mornings than Sunday at noon. And Monday afternoon is good, even though I'll miss the first half most weeks.

And Sportsnet will have live matches as well, I'm expecting they will keep first or second choice of 10am games and maybe the Saturday afternoon game. Its hard to tell though because they like giving Setanta big games to increase subscribers.
Could this be the end for Setanta? Losing the early Saturday and the midweek games is a big loss. Plus one would imagine Sportsnet will air the preferred choice games on Saturday. With Sportsnet2 looming on the horizon I don't see how this will help Setanta's subscriptions at all.

Tags
soccer , tsn , tsn2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in