Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Remote access question
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 2013-04-22, 11:55 AM
JamesK
Veteran

That depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to access some server on your local network, you have to set up port forwarding on your firewall for that server. The next issue is what address to use. If your public IP address is DHCP, then you may find that IP address no longer connects to your system. So, you'll need some sort of DNS service that can handle DHCP addresses. I'm on Rogers. While they use DHCP to provide addresses, they also provide a long host name, based on my modem and firewall MAC addresses. This host name will never change, unless I change the hardware.

If you want general access to your home network, one possibility is to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to your home network. One thing I have done, which allows me to connect to my home network is set it up for IPv6. This gives me my own subnet (with 2^72 addresses or about a trillion times the entire IPv4 address space) with static addresses. I then can access those IPv6 from elsewhere, by running 6in4 tunnel software on my notebook computer. That software enables carryinng IPv6 traffic over the IPv4 network. There are a few different ways to obtain an IPv6 subnet. Some ISPs are now providing IPv6 subnets, with 2^64, or more, addresses to their customers. Failing that, you can connect to a "tunnel broker" to obtain a subnet and software for transporting IPv6 over IPv4. I also use a publicly available DNS server to provide access to my IPv6 addresses and also to create an alias to convert that long MAC based IPv4 address into something sensible.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome