Suggestions to print to my Wi-Fi enabled printer when im connected to Work VPN?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 17671

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Suggestions to print to my Wi-Fi enabled printer when im connected to Work VPN??

Hello, on occasion I work form home, and when doing so, I am connecting via a VPN to my office. This even allows me to see and print to any printer located in my office, however it does NOT allow me to print to my local home printer which is connected wireless. The reason is because of my VPN I know, but is there any way around this besides moving the printer close and connecting it to my lap top via the usb cable? i would rather not want to move it all the time and connect it as its tedious and inconvenient. when i disconnect from my VPN the wireless printer shows back as online in my printers folder, so i can then print. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 01:39 PM
Veteran

I suspect that when you're using the VPN, your computer's default route is sent through the VPN to the office network. I assume you can use the printer when not using the VPN. WiFi has nothing to do with this, you're likely being blocked from accessing it by the VPN.

Can you even ping the printer when the VPN is up?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 02:17 PM
Veteran

If the VPN is running a virtual copy of Windows on the work server, that would also explain why the local printer is not visible.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 03:20 PM

Can you email the document to yourself and print it?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 03:25 PM
Veteran

Ask whoever set up the VPN if they can configure split tunneling on the VPN.

--
Neil
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 03:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I expect the VPN is interfering with the printer. Corporate VPNs may limit what you can do for security purposes.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I found a solution, its not the best nor was it my ideal method but to physically move the printer to the room I am in and connect it to my computer Via USB and it will work.

The VPN does something where it disconnects from my devices on my local network and only sees work network. As soon as my VPN client connects, my Work printer icon goes from offline to online and my local inkjet printer icon goes from online to offline in the printers and devices screen.

I can live with using a USB Cable as a work around, just looking for a easy work around but if none exists, I do NOT MIND buying a 10 or 12 foot USB cable. I also talked to a co-worker of mine and confirmed this happens on home printers connected via Ethernet too, mine happens to be Wi-Fi but meh. Maybe I will use Google Cloud Printing in the mean time, but I too heard that will be discontinued by late 2020. damn

Anyways I was looking for a simple solution without moving my printer but if i have to move it, then so be it, just need a longer usb cable, oh well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 04:43 PM
Veteran

Again, ask whoever set up the VPN if they can configure split tunneling on the VPN.

--
Neil
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-10, 10:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I doubt that would be looked upon kindly by most corporations, especially if the document contains sensitive information. Making a local copy and printing it when the VPN is exited may be an option.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-11, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
Again, ask whoever set up the VPN if they can configure split tunneling on the VPN.
This is against the security policy of my employer and not allowed. otherwise i would do it, anyways I found a work around for now
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-12-11, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
I suspect that when you're using the VPN, your computer's default route is sent through the VPN to the office network. I assume you can use the printer when not using the VPN. WiFi has nothing to do with this, you're likely being blocked from accessing it by the VPN.

Can you even ping the printer when the VPN is up?

I did some research so here is the answer I found out to your question. When I am on my home network NOT connected to my VPN, my ip address is 192.169.0.whatever, my printer is a wifi printer, which means it gets an ip address from my router, in the same range ,but probably ends in .33 or something, so when i log onto my VPN, my computers IP V4 address changes to something completely different now, and it acts just as if it was connected to the office network, so its now lets say my ip address is 202.44.33.08 or something, so now when im on vpn this is why i can not access my printer or any thing on my lan, but when i connect my printer via usb port, it installs another icon as a local usb device with no ip, so this is why i can only access it by plugging in the usb cable, the other icon for my printer is the driver configured via ip (wireless) and is unreachable so this is why i have to connect the usb cable to print, it works so this is the solution i decided to go with even tho the printer is difficult to move/locate and i need to buy a non-standard size usb cable which will make it reach.
Norman_C likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in