New machine time...Windows10 i7 mach. recommendations? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2019-11-01, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

New machine time...Windows10 i7 mach. recommendations?

...time for a new machine.

Have been looking at the Dell XPS 8930 VR series machine which includes, XPS case, i7 9th gen., 16 gig RAM & 512mb SSD with 2 Terabyte HDD for data, with an NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 - Dell is charging $1799 Cdn (as of Nov. 1st, 2019).

Are there folks here with real world experience with these machines and/or other recommendations (other than building one's own). I read some of the Dell Comments section (of current owners) on the Dell site and was not overly impressed by what I saw (a bunch of negative reviews) however . . . I have been satisfied with Dell machines at work and at home in the distant past.

I am using my desktop primarily for image processing (Lightroom/Photoshop), image storing and web browsing.

RECOMMENDATIONS? Post here or DM offline.

Dave in Etobicoke

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desk...s8930ms_f_h41e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2019-11-01, 11:28 PM
Veteran

It looks like a good system. The one caveat is the PSU. Nvidia recommends 500w for the 2060. Dell is providing a 460w PSU. Dell also does not provide any details about the PSU. If it's a generic OEM PSU then it could be problematic. The most common cause of system failure or unreliability are cheap, generic PSUs. For a high end system, you probably want a brand name 80+ Silver, Gold or Platinum model, such as Seasonic or Corsair, rated at 500w or higher. That's especially true if extra components, a second GPU or upgraded GPU might be added. A second 2060 GPU would push the PSU requirements into the 650w-750w range. It looks like that case will take a standard ATX PSU but I would check on that as well.
dhansonca likes this.

Tags
dell , intel , recommend , windows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in