D Link DWA-171 USB wireless no internet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-05-06, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Angry D Link DWA-171 USB wireless no internet

Hi
I have this USB wireless dongle and it was working fine. No it connects but there is no internet. I did do some clean up of the pc recently.

I have tried all I can think of. Deleted it and put it back a few times.

Nothing works. It is set up to auto get an address.

Don

Samsung 55D6300 | Samsung Blu-Ray Player | Bell Fibe TV | X Box One and 360 | Too many DVD's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 12:40 AM
Veteran

You may know this as it could not be more basic but you do need to click on the wireless icon and select the network and put on the password. or maybe I am way off base.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Yes I know that. It says it is connected to the network but no internet.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-05-10, 07:44 AM
Rookie

I've been having the same problem using Bell Mobile internet for quite a while now. I have a Win10 desktop and an older Win10 notebook; both completely up to date. the notebook has wifi built in. The same problem occurs intermittently on both computers. I connected my desktop with an ethernet cable but same problem. I installed a new antenna; same problem. I bought a new sim card; same problem. A friend was here a few days ago with a new Lenovo Ideapad 330S notebook and he stayed connected for 2 days without one failure and with better speeds than my usual speeds. Maybe I have to buy a new Lenovo Ideapad because nothing else is working. The only Bell router I can find within 150 k costs $399 (recommended by Bell becaue it supports LTE) and I'm not paying that with no guarantee that it'll help. My router is a Netgear MVBR1210C that I bought from Bell in 2013. I live in a very rural area 20 ks outside of Haliburton, On and can't see the tower (hence the antenna). I know Bell switched some transmitters from 3G to 4G (LTE) on the tower I use just before my problems started. When I talk to them on the phone they are always pushing LTE. They don't seem to understand that when reception is the primary concern (not speed) that 3G works better than 4G. But speed is also a problem; my speed right now is .80 Mbps down and 145 Mbps up. In the summer, when the population here increases by a factor of 10-15 (all with smartphones with data), my speeds plummet. On weekends from May 24 to Thanksgiving, the internet is so slow, I often can't get e-mail (or log on to the Bell web-site); can't even run Speedtest. Bell can improve service by improving the tower but they won't spend the $$$. If you find a solution, please let me know.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-05-10, 11:33 AM
Veteran

If it hasn't been done already, I would download the latest driver from D-Link and install it. Uninstal and remove the settings (if asked) for the existing driver first.

The issue may not be related to the dongle. Check firewall and other software that has anti-virus, anti-malware, privacy or security functions. If an anti-virus program is installed, I recommend uninstalling it, checking for internet connectivity (using a safe site) and then reinstalling it. The same goes for other programs that have live internet monitoring capabilities. Make sure that there is only one anti-virus program installed and that there are no conflicts with other products.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Got it to work again. Downloaded and reinstalled sw and driver. Rebooted modem. Works

Thanks

Samsung 55D6300 | Samsung Blu-Ray Player | Bell Fibe TV | X Box One and 360 | Too many DVD's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in