Vista to Windows 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-17, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Vista to Windows 10

I'm thinking of upgrading my Vista desktop to Windows 10. AIUI, if I go directly to Windows 10 I need a clean install.....meaning reloading all software, and of course buy Windows 10. Another way is to upgrade via Windows 7 which I would have to buy, then do the free windows 10 upgrade.... no clean install required.

So anyone done this? My PC is an I7 with lots of disk and memory so it should run Windows 10 okay. Also how long will the free Windows 10 upgrade be available....is there a timeline.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-17, 10:44 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Perhaps the following thread is of some use?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/156-...-i-switch.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-17, 11:31 AM
Veteran

I have upgraded Vista to Win7 and Win7 to Win10. It will be necessary to reinstall most software and drivers. (Win7 and Win10 should find the default MS drivers during the upgrade.) Uninstall any third party antivirus software first. I find that a clean install is often the fastest and less troublesome route. Windows should backup all the old files to a directory called windows.old. At least 25GB of disk space will be required. 50GB of free space is better.

I would go the Windows 7 route. That way, the system can be reverted to Win7 if Win10 does not work out. The cost is about the same. Make a list of all installed software and back up the disk first. I would be tempted to install a new SSD drive, image the old drive to the new drive and upgrade the new drive. That would leave Vista available as a dual boot and retain a backup of all data.

Quote:
how long will the free Windows 10 upgrade be available
July 29, 2016 is the cutoff date.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-17, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the link and advice......
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-18, 07:19 AM

If you have a good list of all your software and original install disk of files I would recommend a complete reinstall. Do a full system backup, just in case, then wipe the system and do a clean install.

Once Win10 is installed your PC will be registered in the MS database so you will be able to do future clean installs (even if you went the Win7 to Win10 upgrade route) without the need to further registration or entry of any codes.

The one other consideration is the Home or Pro version. If you are going directly to Win10 then the Pro version will cost bit more but will give you a few additional features. I am not sure if the Pro is available via the Win7 upgrade followed by Win10 upgrade.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-18, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Win7 Home will upgrade to Win10 Home. Win7 Premium and Pro will Upgrade to Win 10 Pro. There is no Win10 Premium. Windows Media Center is not officially supported under Windows 10 Pro but it can be added the same way as in Win8 Pro. (A Media Center key for Windows 8 Pro may be required which costs $15. It is not supported with Win8 Home. Not sure about Win10 Home.)

Considering the high extra cost of the Pro edition, it would be wise to review the differences to see if they are required. Most of the feature differences between Home and Pro are geared toward use in a business environment. If it's being used on a home network, there is not a lot of reason to get the Pro edition.

The main additions to Win10 Pro over Home are:
- Domain Join Services
- BitLocker Drive Encryption
- Remote Access Services
- Group Policy editor
- Windows Update for Business
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-18, 08:03 PM
tux

Quote:
I am not sure if the Pro is available via the Win7 upgrade followed by Win10 upgrade.
If you're going from Vista Home to Windows 10 Pro, you can go the following routes:

(1) directly to Windows 10 Pro, clean install, about $179 for OEM disc
(2) purchase Windows 7 Pro. clean install, free upgrade to 10 Pro, also about $179 for OEM disc
(3) purchase Windows 7 Pro "Upgrade" CD, if they're still available, upgrade Vista to 7 Pro and then free upgrade to 10 Pro. Price unknown.
(4) purchase a Windows 7 "Home" CD, free upgrade to 10 Home, and then purchase an additional Windows 10 "Pro Pack". You're looking at about $100 for 7 Home, and $139 for the Pro Pack.

The recommended route would be to get a Windows 7 Pro "OEM" CD, do a clean install, and upgrade from there before July. The Pro Pack just isn't worth it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-21, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I would go the Windows 7 route. That way, the system can be reverted to Win7 if Win10 does not work out.
Agreed. I went from W7 Ultimate to W10 Pro, and have not personally found a reason to go back but it's nice to have the option should I wish to.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-21, 12:13 PM
Veteran

There are legitimate reasons to revert to Win7. The main two are hardware and software compatibility. A system running Vista could easily run into either. A system running Win7 is more likely to be compatible with Win10 and existing applications than a system with Vista.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-21, 06:20 PM

Agreed again. I'm so glad I skipped Vista/W8. Though W10 is basically "W8 but better" from my understanding.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-22, 10:27 AM
Veteran

The main issue with Win8 is forcing the Start screen and apps to be full screen. That's fine for phones but gets a lot of backlash from desktop users. There are ways around it. I ran Win8.1 with Start8 for several months and it was in improvement over Win7 in a number of ways. Win10 marks the return of the Start menu, though quite modified. Win10 has quite a few improvements over Win7 and Win8.

The main issue I have with Win10 is all the MS service promotions and the personal data spying. Some of it will be useful to phone users but mostly not to desktop users. Do I really want a flashing icon promoting MS Money, MSN or a number of other MS services every time I open the Start menu? Do I want every mouse click and everything I type being sent back to MS? I takes about up to half an hour to disable all the MS nagware and spyware and that's if you know where to find it. Note to MS, desktop users don't want a phone O/S on their PC, especially if they must pay over $100 for it. I doubt most businesses will be happy with this either. Maybe the business version of Win10 has this stuff disabled.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-22, 11:52 AM
Veteran

^^^^
I have W8 on my work computer and W10 in a virtual machine on Linux on my home computer. Both have Classic Shell installed, which brings back something close to the W7 Start menu. My employer also has no plans to move to W10, due to problems with it for businesses.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-23, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The main issue I have with Win10 is all the MS service promotions and the personal data spying. Some of it will be useful to phone users but mostly not to desktop users. Do I really want a flashing icon promoting MS Money, MSN or a number of other MS services every time I open the Start menu? Do I want every mouse click and everything I type being sent back to MS? I takes about up to half an hour to disable all the MS nagware and spyware and that's if you know where to find it.
I have a standard WIn10 Desktop PC and a laptop running Win10 Insider. I spent a few minutes (not half and hour) after the initial setup customizing the Start menu. This included adding icons for common programs that I use, and removing others. Simple, easy, and I just do not see what all the fuss is about. There are no ads displayed on my Start screen or any nagware, just the icons I want.

Is telemetry a bad thing or a function to help improve the system. It has been around for ages with Windows, Firefox, Thunderbird, AV programs, and others, just that there is now more of it with Win10. I want MS to know when a program/function crashes and the circumstances surround it so they can fix it faster especially if it happening to hundreds of users. I have yet to see or hear of any situation where this telemetry has been used to target an individual or their privacy, so I am comfortable using Win10.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-23, 10:34 AM
Veteran

It goes much deeper than that. The privacy issues with Win10 are well documented and disabling them involves changing settings in several places.

I consider live tiles promoting MS services to be nagware. It's not difficult to disable them but there are so many MS centric links on the Win10 Start menu it's a real nuisance when setting up several PCs.
Wheelman likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-05-23, 04:48 PM

I used a program called 'O&O ShutUp10' that does all of that work for users. I may have gone back to W7 if something like that had not been easily available. (There are other programs that do the same as well.) I highly recommend their use! (For those who don't have the time nor patience for what you did, like me.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in