Widespread reports of Unauthorized Windows 10 upgrades - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 11:02 AM

As a further note

Some people have their updates settings set to "Automatically Download and Install Updates" which is mostly good. What Microsoft (not Microspy or M$) is doing is pushing the upgrade as an update and taking advantage of the setting.

THAT I do not agree with .... users should have to choose to install it!

My server had that setting by default, overnight it installed and rebooted leaving some of the VM's in saved state. Change to Download and let me decide when to install

Last edited by BHoward; 2016-03-17 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Move the THAT sentence ... was in the wrong place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 05:21 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Smile I should not have to keep reminding people...

The topic of this thread is plain as day: "Widespread reports of Unauthorized Windows 10 upgrades" and so several posts have been deleted as Off Topic according to the well known Rules Of The Forum. So, here we go again:

This site has been up for a very long time as web forums go, and the topics often concern immediate technical problems experiened with all manner of consumer goods used in today's digital home in Canada. We always have the good of the consumer in mind, first and foremost.

When there are troubles brewing with any such product, the best attitude to have is "let's talk about this", especially when reports of major problems are widespread. It is amazing how people have helped other members over the years, and that's what we love to see. We frown upon posts/comments that try to stifle such conversations.

So, submit messages that are helpful and informative. Our forum and our members benefit greatly. If you have an urge to simply ridicule or stifle a conversation, don't hit that submit button. Revise, re-edit, and reword your message in a positive and respectful manner, then submit it.

Also please familiarize yourselves with Posts #8 and #9 in the following thread regarding how we communicate with other members: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/156-...-previews.html

post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-18, 02:40 AM
Veteran

I believe gwx control panel took care of win10 for me!

post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-18, 04:05 PM

Curiously..I did the "stop GWX service, switch to manual updates, remove KB3035583, hide KB3035583.." process last month, but did not delete the System32/GWX or sysWOW64/GWX folders.
This got rid of the nag, and after just now checking for the GWX folders, they are gone!
Still a lot of references for GWX in the registry pointing to those folders, but the folders removed themselves.

According to the Windows event log C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-GWX-Ins%4Operational.evtx it was not happy for about 10 hours after making the changes last month.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 12:08 AM
Veteran

Here's another article: PC Users Caught Unprepared for Automatic Windows 10 Upgrades

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 12:38 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Which OS version did you experience that on, vmstek?

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

@JamesK : In the article you osted, there is a funny line where it says "Microsoft promised to make the change easy for users." Easy alright, just push the forced update.

I didn't do and don't want the update as I use software that are incompatible with Windows 10. Just like that man in the same article that couldn't do a presentation because his laptop had "updated" to the next version, I don't want any surprises.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-21, 09:54 AM

Thumbs down

Monday March 21 9am The latest Windows updates were installed yesterday (29 in total). One of those suckers has installed a icon in the system tray "inviting me" to Get Windows 10. I do not want win 10 and of course I cannot delete this annoyance not of my choosing. It is a KBxxxxxxxxxxinstall. Any way I can remove it and have my computer back? sailmaker
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-21, 10:04 AM
Rookie

I've been installing this utility: Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads
GWX Control Panel
It is pretty flexible - allows you to remove the update icon, disable the update to Windows 10, etc. Quoting from the download page:
This is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Recent versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel and do much more.

I have installed this on about a dozen systems so far, and I haven't seen any issues with it.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-21, 11:09 AM

@Quarterstaff : YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Thanks a million.. Sailmaker
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-21, 01:24 PM
Veteran

I got rid of the Win10 nags by simply choosing 'Hide icon and notifications' in the notification area properties. It's still there but not usually visible and the nags don't appear.
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Well imagine my surprise last night when I was about to turn off my computer. Beside the SHUT DOWN button, was an install icon as in "install updates then turn off computer."

I looked at what the KB number was and searched for it. Sure enough, it was a Windows 10 trying to install thetaskbar icon. I right clicked and hid the update. Hopefully this IS the end of it.

This is worst than someone coming to my house every weekend trying to convert me to their religion. No means no. I didn't want it last week, I don't want it today nor do I want it tomorrow. Please get a clue. Sheesh.
Wheelman likes this.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-04-03, 12:39 AM
Veteran

This is the tool that should be used to block W10 installs. https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

All it does is flick the officially supported Microsoft group policy / registry items. It sets them, and can back them out as well. Utility does not have to be installed and can be deleted after you run it. My understanding the GWX control panel tries to do too much uninstalling updates etc. and you end up in a game of cat and mouse and having to update it down the road etc.

As far as I know VMs will never be offered the upgrade. Makes me curious if you were to install 7/8.1 to a .VHD to use with the bare metal if that would also not ever be offered the update.
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-04-03, 09:22 AM
Veteran

Quote:
As far as I know VMs will never be offered the upgrade.
There is this:

Windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade on a VirtualBox
Norman_C likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 10:01 AM
Rookie

I have limited monthly data so I changed the Windows Update setting on both my laptop and desktop computers (both Windows 7 Professional x64) to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". So far this seems to have prevented Windows 10 from trying to download and install.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in