Trojans maxing out CPU - cannot seem to remove - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-15, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Trojans maxing out CPU - cannot seem to remove

Lately my browser (Firefox) has been redlining my CPU and the core temperature running up to 70C, particularly on graphics and data intensive sites like Facebook. It gets so the browser becomes hesitant and very slow and my laptop fan is blowing like a furnace. Of course, I checked the fan for dust bunnies, which I normally do once a year, and it was clean. I wondered if I'd picked up some malware and did a quick virus scan, but nothing. I'll try a full scan maybe tonight because it looks like it might take at least 10 hours, but I'm not optimistic on finding anything. Could it be possible the CPU heat transfer interface needs cleaning and re-greasing? Is that a tricky job? Anything else I should look for?

This is an old Acer 5100 laptop with an AMD 1.70GHz processor upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and with 4GB RAM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-15, 08:38 PM
Premium Supporter

Could be a problematic Firefox Add-on or plugin.

Mozilla Support KB:

Firefox uses too many CPU resources - How to fix
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-15, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I think I saw it when searching for solutions, but I'll look into it some more. Meanwhile, I'm keeping CPU usage down by not having too many browser windows open, none if I'm not using it. This all started lately with the hot weather.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 09:38 AM

I like your original thinking due to the age of the laptop regarding the thermal grease. I'm not familiar with the take apart of Acer laptops but my many years of experience with other laptops have been from the relatively easy take apart to get to the heat sinks to the ridiculously difficult. I refer to the first as being designed by techs and the second as being designed by engineers. (with apologies to all the engineers out there )
I'm sure a quick search (well maybe not so quick in your case) will turn up a take apart video so you can judge yourself if it's even worth attempting.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm sure there may be something on Youtube. However, this laptop is an old, slow hand-me-down, so I should really be looking for a replacement while one with Windows 7 can still be found. Meanwhile, I'm trying not to keep any unnecessary browser windows open to keep it cool. My full virus scan did find a couple of old trojans, but they weren't the issue, because it didn't improve after I got rid of them.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 07:01 PM

Try running Chrome and going to the same websites. If Chrome doesn't cause the redining and heat issues, the problem is Firefox.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I've used Firefox since it was Netscape 1.0. I'll try Chrome just for the heck of it as an experiment, but from what I've read, it shouldn't be any different, I just resent Chrome for being a browser that tries to force itself on you every time you download something.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Try the unload tab add on.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-21, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

This morning I saw the cpu meter maxed out with nothing open. I started searching more on Firefox and saw a message pop up on the bottom right about Firefox loading slow, which it has been. I clicked it and one of the support suggestions was to Refresh Firefox, which I did by clicking the button on the screen. It took a very long time and when Firefox restarted it looked different and all my add-ons were gone. But it was a lot faster and isn't maxing out the cpu. Now I'm slowly getting my essential add-ons back and trying to get it to look like I had it. At least I got the menu bar back, because without that I couldn't change anything.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-09-21, 11:35 PM

I'm getting good results with Pale Moon, a Firefox derivative minus some of the overhead (and no Flash Player). Seems fast.

Sony KDL40W3000, Denon S740H AVR, Firestick, Synology 209, ASUS PC, Sony BDPS350, turntable, two-zone speakers
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-10-23, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Just a follow up. I now think it's a trojan dragging my browser down. I said I did a quick scan and found nothing. But when I run a complete scan using Microsoft Security Essentials, which takes all night, I find these two trojans.

It appears MSE can't remove them. As you see in the graphic, the removal process gets to about 2/3 done, then stays there all day and I need to terminate MSE. A couple of times a day I see a green popup from MSE that it's removing threats and when I check MSE History it says it has removed Exploit: Java/CVE-2010-0840 a couple of times each day. Googling how to remove these trojans all I find are very complicated instructions I can't even follow, or malware removal tools that find hundreds of threats and then ask me to buy the app for $50 to remove them. Can someone point me to a free, reliable removal method?
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-10-23, 12:46 PM

Did you try scanning/removing in safe mode with MSE?

Was Malwarebytes ever suggested and/or tried? If not, I'd try it in safe mode as well.

Good luck.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-10-23, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Have you tries Superantispyware or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? They have free and paid versions. The free versions are fully functional for manual scans.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-10-25, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

So a couple of days ago I downloaded the free version of Superantispyware and ran it. It found 819 "threats", most of them probably harmless cookies, and it allowed me to delete them all. Yesterday Firefox ran smoothly, not maxing out the CPU too often and I saw no MSE popup deleting any threats. That night I ran a MSE full scan again and it only showed Exploit: Java/CVE-2010-0840 which couldn't be deleted. Today Firefox ran slow at first and I saw the green popup again (it was deleting Exploit: Java/CVE-2010-0840 again according to the history) and then things ran better. It seems I'm picking up this Java thing from just about anywhere on the web and that's what's causing the slowdown.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 2015-10-25, 07:36 PM
Veteran

Do you have any addons or plugins for Firefox?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in