Replacement for Windows Media Player - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stampeder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-28, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Replacement for Windows Media Player

Win 10 will not have WMP, so I'd like to find a good quality replacement. Mostly I use WMP to play MP3's and other audio, but occasionally I play video and DVD's.

Any suggestions as to a suitable replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-28, 03:17 PM
Veteran

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-28, 04:05 PM
tux

Windows 10 will have WMP. WMP has even been enhanced to recognize and play MKVs. However, it will not play DVDs.

If you're looking for an alternative, I'd recommend either VLC or Media Player Classic (MPC-HC).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-28, 07:44 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Exclamation Get VLC, but heed this Download Warning

I also add my vote for VLC as your very best media playing alternative for just about any OS out there. The one and only place for downloading VLC:

VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS!

Unfortunately there are counterfiet VLC sites around the web that try to infect your device with malware. Use ONLY the link above!

Jorgek likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-28, 10:03 PM

@Camera.Ken you may have heard that Windows 10 will not have Windows Media Center, which many people use for recording OTA channels. Here is the thread discussing alternatives for WMC:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-h...v-support.html

Microsoft will make a DVD player available for those PCs that have WMC, including Windows 7 Home Premium (which most people would have).

Quote:
We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.
Sources: Windows 10 FAQ & Tips - Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...specifications

As others have said, VLC will play almost any audio or video file and is simple to install since it contains built-in codecs. That's what I use outside of WMC.

EDIT: Here's a blog explaining why Microsoft decided to stop paying royalties for the various codecs required to play DVDs when so few PCs were even capable of playing them.

FAQ - DVD playback and Windows Media Center in Windows 8 - MSDN Blogs
Quote:
So when you add all this up and apply to all Windows PCs, it is an ongoing cost of hundreds of millions of dollars per year to the PC ecosystem, well over a billion dollars over the lifecycle of the operating system and yet by most predictions the majority of PCs will not even be capable of playing DVDs.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-07-28 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added more detail
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-28, 11:16 PM
Veteran

I believe what's really missing on Win10 is the DVD CODEC. Given a suitable CODEC, WMP may still play DVDs. VLC has all of it's CODECs built in, including one for DVDs.

For audio, MediaMonkey is an excellent player and music library organizer that does much more than WMP ever did. For an all around media player and media center, NextPVR, Kodi and MediaPortal (all freely available) are among the many options. The only caveat is that I'm not sure if they have been updated for Win10 yet.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-29, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, all, for replies.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-30, 10:30 AM

I know its been started that Win 10 will not have WMP, but I have it on my laptop that was clean installed with a WTP, and on my desktop that was upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-30, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

What's missing in W10 is Windows Media Centre, not Windows Media Player.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-30, 11:27 AM

I'll throw Foobar2000 out there for audio playback.

I use VLC for video and Foobar2000 for music. Both work great and I wouldn't use anything else. You can install to disk, or a portable device with Foobar2000. Point it to your media library (Copy files to USB first if portable.) and it will build it's own. (I like how it presents. If your media is not tagged properly, it may be a bit annoying however. Once tagged, it's wonderful!)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-08-08, 02:10 PM

MPC-HC with LAV codecs and madvr(If you have supported hardware)

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in