Windows10 discussion - Page 26 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #376 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 04:43 AM
Veteran

I do have hardware and a drive to mirror the HD for backup. I now find that 8.1 is much more responsive than I experienced with Win10. I was watching google ads loading on the bottom of the browser(text) etc. and don't even see that now.
I will stay on 8.1 for now on the laptop. Laptop was new last November ($200 US on sale and a deal offered me online when I made an online comment ) So I went through the load of apps etc. and not in the mood right now to do it again. Probably what I will do eventually.
The desktop seems fine with Win10 and actually I use a radio control flying simulator and the graphics have improved tremendously regarding speed so I could increase the quality. Much more enjoyable and realistic.
I am a retired Systems Analyst and consultant and have reached my limit for now regarding the laptop.
Another option will be to use my full licence free Microsoft win 7 party Win7 Ultimate some time, reload and then go to Win10 pro and reload all the stuff.
Laptop is AMD A6-5200 and I believe the desktop is AMD A8-5700 so doesn't make a lot of sense.
I will try to stop moving back and forth and cluttering this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Rioux View Post
Very different to 7 but looks similar to 8/8.1. Is that where you moved from?
nope, completely skipped 8/8.1

Just did the win7 to win10 upgrade thinking I'd go back and do a clean install, and haven't bothered so far. everything is working great
post #378 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 12:54 PM
Veteran

I'm quite happy with Windows 10.

It's a little frustrating when dragging windows between displays and while doing that Windows 10 tries to "snap" it and you just want to drag it across (the mouse velocity was too low). But that's the only usability issue that I have. I wish there was some way to drag windows between displays (e.g. while holding down shift) that would disable the snap feature.

post #379 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
It doesn't even call for a wipe of the HDD, just a fresh install of Windows 10. All your old stuff would be sent to a Windows.old directory that you can pick files out of later, so you shouldn't lose any data.
That is not quite the full story. Yes, old stuff goes to Windows.old, but If you do not do a wipe first then many of your settings and preferences are captured from the previous install and will be carried forward. This will include previous network connections, file ownership, mouse touchpad settings, etc.
post #380 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 11:06 PM

@audacity

I too have same issue concerning dual monitors. I like to drag Firefox over to my TV and continue to go online/whatever on my main monitor. W7 did it much nicer, more smoothly.
post #381 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-27, 12:16 PM
Veteran

Upgrade to Win10 keeps reappearing

As the title says...

I had hidden the Windows 10 upgrade notice that came from Windows update
and also cancelled the reservation, which the cancellation was confirmed.

Yet, this morning, the Windows update popped up with "Lets get started installing Windows 10" with the now familiar "Lets get started" button.

This is becoming excessively annoying.

I thought I had this squashed.....

I'm not impressed....

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Last edited by CamDAB; 2015-08-27 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #382 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-27, 12:43 PM

If discovered another annoyance with W10 I didn't have in W7.

When I switch the sound device between PC and my TV it doesn't switch automatically if the content is already playing. W7, it didn't matter. With W10 I have to close the content, restart it, then it will switch.

Uhg
post #383 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-27, 09:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
I'm quite happy with Windows 10.

It's a little frustrating when dragging windows between displays and while doing that Windows 10 tries to "snap" it and you just want to drag it across (the mouse velocity was too low). But that's the only usability issue that I have. I wish there was some way to drag windows between displays (e.g. while holding down shift) that would disable the snap feature.
In the System Settings window, find and click Multitasking in the column on the left. Under the “Snap” category on the right, find the option labeled Allow the system to suggest companion windows when using Snap and set it to Off. This will disable Snap Assist in Windows 10.

How to Disable Snap Assist in Windows 10 - TekRevue
post #384 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-27, 09:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuy View Post
If discovered another annoyance with W10 I didn't have in W7.

When I switch the sound device between PC and my TV it doesn't switch automatically if the content is already playing. W7, it didn't matter. With W10 I have to close the content, restart it, then it will switch.

Uhg
Ear Trumpet may help.... Well perhaps not, but it is handy

https://github.com/File-New-Project/EarTrumpet/releases

Ear Trumpet is a new app for Windows 10 which brings better volume control - Microsoft News
post #385 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-27, 11:52 PM

Sadly it does not help but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm hoping a fix will come at some point.
post #386 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 02:18 AM
tux

With Windows 10, I'm having intermittent problems where the computer sometimes ignores the "mute" state when playing audio.

Doesn't matter if I use the "mute" function key on the keyboard, the icon in the notification area, or the Sounds control panel, and I've even updated the audio driver. The system will sometimes play audio, audibly, when it is supposed to be muted. This was never a problem under Windows 7.
post #387 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 01:08 PM
Veteran

@j0dest3r

Thanks for the tip - but it's not the snap assist that I find frustrating, it's while dragging a window from display A to display B when the mouse cursor gets stuck because the cursor velocity wasn't high enough, and Windows thinks I'm trying to dock the window in question to the side of the display.

I think it would be better to have some sort of toggle key (Shift) that, when pressed would enable the "snap" feature - or disable it. Either or.
post #388 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 01:27 PM

Yup, it's like it hits a wall rather than slide through. Rather annoying.
post #389 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-29, 10:51 AM

Have you tried changing the Motion pointer speed (Mouse Properties, Pointer Options)?
post #390 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-29, 11:32 AM

No I haven't tried that but it seems to be more how W10 is designed rather than a pointer issue. What worked in W7 (easier) does not in W10.

I'm getting used to it and just need to adjust but I think it's sloppy for a newer "improved" OS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in