Windows10 discussion - Page 21 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #301 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-03, 02:42 PM

Tux wrote: "In "Reasons We Share Personal Data", there is a paragraph stating "Finally, we will access... the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders..." which has received some attention.'

This is actually the section that is causing the stir. It was discussed at some length on TWiT TV's this week in tech by Leo Laporte, where I first heard about it. If anyone wants to hear it the link is below and fast forward to the 54 minute mark.

https://twit.tv/shows/the-tech-guy/episodes/1207
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-03, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert
not free like Android
To be fair, for most people, Android isn't free. They got a device that had Android on it, and it didn't cost them any less than if they had got a device with Windows Mobile on it.

I think the one thing that Android demonstrated was "the power of free", and perhaps Microsoft might be better off moving to a model where Windows is free-as-in-beer and they monetize it in different ways. I mean, they're already there for devices with less than a 9" display.

As someone who uses Google products every day, I think that I'm at peace with big companies having lots of data on me because there are few other options. Even if you use a iOS device, lots of data is being collected on you by the apps that you use; often that data is collected for good reason. So the app in question is able to provide much of it's functionality (e.g. Waze).
post #303 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-03, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
As someone who uses Google products every day, I think that I'm at peace with big companies having lots of data on me because there are few other options.
I am not as comfortable with it and I am moving away from using Google services. The free services are nice but, in reality, the long term costs can be much greater than the few dollars saved. Data collection on individuals is pretty much in its infancy right now but we have seen some very bad side effects when data mining is misapplied. To be sure, there are both positive and negative effects to data mining and subsequent use but anyone who doesn't care because they "have nothing to hide" is being very naive. Many people suffer dire consequences, even death by state execution, due to false conclusions derived from incomplete information about themselves or their actions. I'm not ready to put my life, real or virtual, in Google's hands.
ssbtech likes this.

post #304 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-03, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
As someone who uses Google products every day, I think that I'm at peace with big companies having lots of data on me because there are few other options. Even if you use a iOS device, lots of data is being collected on you by the apps that you use; often that data is collected for good reason. So the app in question is able to provide much of it's functionality (e.g. Waze).
And this is why we've reached this point with Windows 10 and other Microsoft services. Several years of users giving up "just" little bits of data to make their apps work a little bit better has resulted in fewer and fewer people caring about where their data ends up.

It's like everyone's forgotten about the NSA revelations already, or the many other legislative changes in Canada which I won't go into because it's forbidden here. People have become far too trusting of the anonymous hands their data is in.

And then, after several years of willfully handing Google/Facebook/everyone else all their data, they've become too heavily dependant on those services to give them up and continue to fill them up with personal data.

It's no surprise we're at this point with Microsoft. Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No...
CamDAB and Wheelman like this.
post #305 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-03, 09:09 PM
tux

@MrGrinch I followed the video link that you provided; the narrator, was mistaken on a few points.

First, the guy said that the paragraph is in the license agreement. It's not; it's in the privacy policy. The license agreement is a static legal agreement, which will not change once you agree to it, whereas the privacy policy is a company policy which is subject to change at MS's discretion.

Second, he jumped to the conclusion that "private information" meant "information stored on your hard drive" and that MS actually has the means to control private information on your hard drive. Although MS has control over certain program and system files and drivers (through Windows Update), they do not have control over your personal files. If there is any concern over access to your files, you can modify the file permissions as you see fit.

Third, the paragraph was taken out of context; the paragraph was taken from the section entitled "Reasons we Share Personal Data", which also included information on data retention policies. This paragraph needs to be read in the context of the first section, "Personal data we collect"; any data they collect is outlined in this section, and they can only share data that they collect. Since they don't collect personal files stored on your hard drive, they can't share this information.

Information that they can share, however, includes "private files" uploaded to the cloud (OneDrive), which may include private files on your computer that you have chosen to sync with OneDrive. Likewise, email and other private communications cannot be retained if MS does not have access to them, and they will not have access to it if you don't use MS services such as Outlook.com, Skype, Cortana, or "Mail and Calendar" apps.
post #306 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-04, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the insights Tux. Leo L is a very bright guy when it comes to tech world, but synthesizes so much information for all his shows that I've have caught him making mistakes too. Glad to see that people are stretching the privacy concerns a little too far here. I certainly have no concerns - have upgraded 1 of 3 of my PC's thus far to W10 and intend on getting the others done as they are ready. One seems to be eternally stuck (ie 2 days) in step 2 "downloading software" stage!!
post #307 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-04, 02:18 PM

well it really depends on what people want. the best example would be having GPS on your phone. people complain about having this everyday on their phones but they are thankful for it the moment they loose their phones and use apples "find my phone" or androids "device manger" to find it or at least have the ability to wipe the info off the phone remotely the second they determined they are not getting it back
post #308 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-04, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
people complain about having this everyday on their phones
But I can easily control what apps can use the GPS features of my phone.

Anyway - I had preview builds of Windows 10 installed in a VM. Because it wouldn't update to RTM no mater how often I tried, I gave up and deleted the VM file from disk.

Unfortunately installing the downloadable version from MS results in an installation that's not able to be activated. I thought if I tried signing in with my MS account it would recognize I was an "Insider". Nope, still won't activate.

Any tips?
post #309 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-04, 05:34 PM
Veteran

I came across this article about W10 privacy concerns.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #310 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-04, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
Anyway - I had preview builds of Windows 10 installed in a VM. Because it wouldn't update to RTM no mater how often I tried, I gave up and deleted the VM file from disk.

Unfortunately installing the downloadable version from MS results in an installation that's not able to be activated. I thought if I tried signing in with my MS account it would recognize I was an "Insider". Nope, still won't activate.

Any tips?
Never mind, I dug the old VM out of a backup image.

EDIT: Nope, seems when I go to install Windows 10 RTM from the ISO over top of the preview build (which is eligible for upgrade) I still get prompted to enter a product key. They really don't want me using W10, do they? :/
post #311 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-04, 09:39 PM
Veteran

An insider build you have to take all the way to 10240 via windows updates. The build that came out later only works as an upgrade from 7/8.1. After it upgrades once, and activates, your hardware id registered, then you can clean install.

I was able to take a 10074 build up to 10240 via a DVD upgrade to 10162(?) then Windows Updates, after they pulled everything. I am unsure how long after it may have been only a day or two. Of course I did that all from a registered insider MSA. Not sure if that whole process would work now though. Or does it matter how many machines per insider account. I have two insider build machines but both had separate MSAs in the insider program.
post #312 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-04, 11:29 PM
tux

Ya, a lot of those privacy settings can be disabled during the initial OOBE setup after you upgrade to Windows 10. I have just about everything disabled under privacy. Note that enabling Cortana enables "Speech, inking, & typing" which sends everything you type to MS, and allowing OneDrive to automatically sync will automatically upload files from your hard drive to the cloud, depending on your OneDrive settings.

BTW, anyone notice Paragraph 12(a) of the License agreement gives Canadians the "right" to stop receiving updates by turning off internet access? Gee, thanks, Microsoft.
CamDAB likes this.
post #313 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-05, 12:45 PM
Veteran

The typing stuff that is sent to Microsoft is actually used for auto-correction for a virtual keyboard on a phone or tablet. I wish they explicitly specified this though. Personally I doubt the get sent keystrokes from a physical keyboard on a PC, but that is only my personal opinion.

Steve Gibson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_...ter_programmer) weighed in on the privacy settings of Windows 10. He basically said on one had this was a lot of privacy stuff now in Windows and that Windows has just now caught up with iOS and Android. He did applaud Microsoft for being up front about it though and being transparent as possible. That said, he's sticking to Windows 7 and /or moving to MAC LOL! His main dev machine is still XP 32-bit.

Anyone interested in his W10 privacy analysis, it starts at the 1hour 2min mark. https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/e...utostart=false
post #314 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-05, 03:22 PM

Museum, Collector's Item or Trash?

I've been holding on to these for a while. Some of them for too long maybe. I still have the product key for each of them. Now that I've upgraded all 4 of my Windows machines to Win10, I guess I can let go of them.

Last edited by TechieFreak; 2015-08-05 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Fixed link to imgur
post #315 of 553 (permalink) Old 2015-08-05, 04:09 PM

I also had Millenium Edition, and Vista, but for obvious reasons I trashed them long ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in