PLV-Z5 lamp will not ignite - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-05-12, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

PLV-Z5 lamp will not ignite

Have had my Sanyo PLV-Z5 for about 3 months, used about 200 hours with no problems. Turned it on this morning, door opens as usual, but - aaargh - lamp does not come on, the door closes and the "replace lamp" light comes on.

No problem, I think to myself, I got a spare lamp with the unit. So, I put in the new lamp ("old" lamp looks pristine BTW), reconnect everything & try again. Exactly the same thing happens with the new lamp - which is to say that nothing happens, other than the door opening and then closing 10-20 seconds later.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-05-13, 05:13 AM

When you call Sanyo Canada, speak to Eric at ext. 5568. He will probably be able to diagnose the problem over the phone.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-05-13, 12:04 PM

Try unplugging it for a few minutes, it might just need a reboot. Good luck.

Anthem MRX-500/MPS-1, Sanyo Z5,Rocket 850's,Klipsch RC64 Center.,Mirage OM260 , SVS PB13 ULTRA

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-05-13, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok - I'll try calling him on Monday. Tried calling Sanyo yesterday & was not impressed to find out their service was only M - F.

Thanks
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-05-14, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Atlantic - thanks for the idea, but unfortunately - no dice....

Timbo - talked to Eric this am - he was helpful, but very quickly decided that I needed to send it back east to the concord depot. So, my Z5 is in the courier and now I have to watch "24" on a 26" screen - it won't be the same!!

Tom
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-05-15, 04:01 PM

Lamp warranties are usually 90 days so hopefully you are within this timeframe.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-05-18, 02:17 PM

Possible fix

Sorry if this is a bit late but I found this fix on the AVS forum, makes sense since you are in Calgary.

Called Sanyo today around 2:00. Waited on hold for a couple of minutes, then was answered by a guy named Renae(?). Told him what was happening. He told me to get a Philips screwdriver and the projector. Had me take the case off (6 screws) and push a button inside. Then put it back together and it fired right up. He asked me what alt. I live at (~4500ft) and told me I need to adjust the fans. He then talked me through entering the service menu and adjusting the fans. The whole conversation lasted about 10 min.
I was very impressed with the customer service and was especially happy I didn't have to ship it out.

Then a few more posts down...

Exact same thing happened to me a week ago (the Saturday of the Mayweather/De la Hoya fight). I had called Sanyo and spoke to someone there earlier and he suggested I send it to them. So I was about to, but I ran across this thread last night. I decided before I send it off, I'd call and ask for the guy at Sanyo named Ranae (sp?). When I called Sanyo, Ranae was actually the person that took my call. He took me through, I'm sure, the same process and my Z4 worked fine afterwards without having to send it off.

Thanks for posting this and I hope that anyone else that has this problem will find this post as helpful as I did.

Kudos to the tech guy @ Sanyo named Ranae (sp?).

Thanks all.

Anthem MRX-500/MPS-1, Sanyo Z5,Rocket 850's,Klipsch RC64 Center.,Mirage OM260 , SVS PB13 ULTRA
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-05-28, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Got my Z5 back today - actually was delivered last week, but I was away. According to the service report inside, they "reset the thermal switch and CKOK". CKOK? would that be "checked and OK"?

Anyway - who cares - it now works!

However, I'm intrigued by the thread you found, as "resetting a thermal switch" sounds a lot like pushing a button to me. Do you think this was what they did? 10 mins is a lot quicker than a week to ship the sucker back & forth to toronto....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-11-13, 01:48 PM

Another PLV-Z5 user in Calgary here. I had the same problem with the thermal switch tripping and getting the replace lamp light. I read this thread and called Sanyo Canada tech support and they would not help me reset the switch over the phone due to 'liability', (which I can understand) and that I would have to send it in for service.

I explained that I am an Electrical Engineer, and that I service medical lasers for a living, so they shouldnt be too concerned that I would screw something up unintentionally. Eric said he was not authorized to do anything and forwarded me on to the Service Manager Robert Benz.

Called Robert and got his voicemail and left a message for him to call back.

In the meantime it has been 4 days for me without my projector and I am getting a bit anxious. Went to the AVS forum and searched for the post that Atlantic mentioned and saw that it was from the US. (Thanks Atlantic!!)

I then called Sanyo US service and told the service tech that answered that I think I just need to reset the thermal switch on my projector and get the fan speed set for high altitude. I just told him I lived in Denver!

He walked me thru resetting the switch and resetting some numbers in the service menu and I am now happily watching Planet Earth again!

Not sure if I'll tell the service manager the truth or if I'll just say I plugged it in again and it worked. Guess it shouldnt matter as he doesnt have a serial number, just a phone number.

Last edited by laserguy; 2007-11-13 at 01:49 PM. Reason: thanking another user that I forgot to in the original post
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-11-13, 03:16 PM

Hey, glad to hear I could be of help, enjoy!!

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-11-13, 03:32 PM
Member #1

Quote:
He walked me thru resetting the switch and resetting some numbers in the service menu and I am now happily watching Planet Earth again!
Anything you can add for future Z5 owners discovering this thread?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 03:46 PM

Post Sanyo PLV-Z5 thermal switch

Hi there,

thanks a lot for your advice. After replacing the (obviously still working) old lamp and finding my projector still requesting a new lamp I opened the case, found the indicated thermal switch, pressed it lightly and everything is back to normal again. To eliminate the guesswork for future readers of this thread I attach a picture of the disassembled unit with the thermal switch indicated. Hope it helps!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-02-01, 09:12 AM

hi im from the uk ive just signed up to say thank you for your help this works a treat for me if your replacing the bulb don't forget to reset the lamp countdown in the menu.

now im going to hook up my ps3 and watch black hawk down on bluray in celebration
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-03-02, 12:12 AM

Thanks for posting this info. I had this problem about 6 months ago and had to send the unit away which cost me $38 in shipping. I knew that all they did was reset a thermal switch. It happened again today and when i searched I found this thread and was able to identify and reset the switch.

I too live in Calgary and didn't know altitude was an issue. I have the unit in a very cool room so I didn't understand how it could be overheating. Can anyone tell me the fan settings or is it complicated?

If not I will give Sanyo a call.

EDIT: There is a setting on the 3rd settings menu called "Highland". This is for higher altitudes.

Last edited by pdubois64; 2008-03-02 at 12:39 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-03-06, 10:04 AM

Its a simple matter of air density, at higher altitudes the air is thinner so the fan must spin faster to cool the lamp as the same PJ at sea level, I would suggest using the high altitude setting as you mentioned in the menu, even though it will be louder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in