Teksavvy price cuts - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-13, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Teksavvy price cuts

Man I love TS.

"Your TekSavvy Internet package, Cable 30 Lite / Câble 30 Lite with 200 download on OIDXXXXXX is having the monthly cost dropped from $46.95 to $44.95 on your next billing cycle! That's a drop of $2 on your regular monthly package price, and you're getting Unlimited usage. No action on your part is required – it’s just going to happen automatically."

"For years, TekSavvy sounded the alarm about incumbents gaming the system to inflate wholesale rates, which meant retail Internet prices were too high. We struggled to compete while the incumbents overcharged their competitors like us. Finally, after a lengthy regulatory battle, the CRTC corrected the rates to more reasonable levels. Now, we’re passing those savings on to you – our valued customers."

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-13, 09:46 PM
Rookie

Now that's something you don't see often, price cuts. Awesome.
Gentleman likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 01:17 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Actually, with internet service providers, the price per mbps download has been going down a lot. I know that with Rogers, if you're willing to live with a certain download speed, you spend a lot less now than years ago. Or you can spend the same amount and get a faster download speed.

This may, or may not happen automatically, but a discussion with your ISP is in order every year or two to get what you want/need.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 06:36 AM
Veteran

Quote:
This may, or may not happen automatically, but a discussion with your ISP is in order every year or two to get what you want/need.
Last time I called Rogers about my package, they even gave me a date about when would be a good time to call them back.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 09:17 AM

This is not the first time TekSavvy drops their customer's prices. If I recall correctly, they did the same in 2016 when the previous revision of wholesale prices occurred.

Ed7789
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 12:40 PM
Veteran

Prices have gone down because CRTC had ordered big telcos to cut internet prices that they charge third party internet providers.
This price cut may not last as they have taken CRTC to court and have threatened to cut down on new upgrades to smaller communities.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ove...ates-1.5283411
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 12:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Thanks for the prod. Checked online and saw I could get Rogers' Internet Gigabit plan for less than what I'm paying now for their Ignite 250u plan. Off to exchange my modem this afternoon.

--
Neil
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-15, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know that with Rogers, if you're willing to live with a certain download speed, you spend a lot less now than years ago. Or you can spend the same amount and get a faster download speed.

You guys must work for Rogers.

Just kidding. But every time I've called and talked with their CSR's, they cannot match what I'm getting from TSI. Which leads to the burning question. If the major players can sell bulk bandwidth to the TPIA's and make a profit, and the TPIA's sell internet bandwidth to consumers and make a profit, why can't the major players sell their product to consumers at less cost than the TPIA's charge?

Something doesn't seem right.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-15, 09:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The closest I've been to being a Rogers employee was back when I worked for Unitel and they were a major (45%?) owner. I have also done some work for them over the years through other employers. That said, my Internet connection with them is excellent. I pay for 75/10 Mb and almost always get low 90s download and about 11 up. The service is rock solid. Rogers also provides IPv6. They also have a host name for my connection, based on MAC addresses, so it doesn't change unless I change hardware. This means I don't need a dynDNS service to reach my home network on IPv4 and with my pretty much static IPv6 addresses, regular DNS works fine.

So yes, Rogers Internet service works very well. My bill for Internet is $70.99/month + tax.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-15, 09:28 PM
Veteran

There is a lot less difference in price between TPIAs and Rogers now than there was a couple of years ago. The big savings with TPIAs is with slower speed plans that Rogers no longer offers. Rogers plans start at 75Mbps. TPIAs offer plans starting at 30Mbps and sometimes slower. After moving to 75Mbps, I wouldn't want to be on a slower speed plan and the price difference between TSI and Rogers is quite small at that level.

Part of the issue was that the CRTC set wholesale prices as a percentage of retail rates. The response by the incumbents was to raise retail prices in order to keep wholesale prices high. Then they would offer promotions to new customers and discounts to existing customers who asked. I had a 30Mbps plan from Rogers that was several dollars cheaper than what TSI or any other TPIA was offering. The price was locked in for several years and they even bumped the speed while I was on the discounted plan. The new cost based wholesale rates are a significant improvement for consumers over the former retail price based wholesale rates.

The other difference with TPIAs is getting support. I found that there were far more issues with cable internet on TSI and their support and billing was substandard compared to Rogers. Some of the things they did were probably illegal and even made Bell look good in comparison. I have no such issues with Rogers.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-16, 02:37 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
I wasn't talking about relative pricing between ISPs. Each has advantages and disadvantages. What I did say was that ISP pricing has been dropping for years so to get a lower price (for the same speed) is quite typical. The issue has been that people seem to always want more, even when they don't need it. Many people subscribe to Gigabit service when they only require 1/10 of that... I also have the Rogers 75/10/Unlimited service as part of my bundle and typically get 95/11. As part of my Rogers bundle the pricing is lower any any other ISP.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-16, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
As part of my Rogers bundle the pricing is lower any any other ISP.
Ah, there is the issue.

Where I reside, I don't need cable television as I receive over 40 channels OTA on a regular basis. Our cell phones (couples plan) are through CARP - Zoomerwireless at prices I couldn't match elsewhere and our home phone is voip.ms.

Combine this with the fact that I own my cable modem, something Rogers will not permit and I believe I'm infinitely ahead of the game cost wise.

With respect of reliability of TSI internet or other TPIA's, does it not use the same infrastructure as Rogers, right up to the last mile? With Rogers having class A addresses and subnetting out to the TPIA's?

As a side note, when we first migrated to TSI, we had unexplained outages of short duration for the first 12 or so months. The outages were not long enough to be effectively troubleshot. Tickets were created, and mysteriously no issue was ever found. Now that we been with TSI for 9+ years, those outages have completely disappeared. The only issue we've had of late was when all cable TPIA's in Ontario went down a few months ago.

Unless we get FTTN or FTTH in our area, I'll stick with TSI.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-16, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Current pricing schedule:

On the 150/15 plan unlimited.

Rogers w/o bundling $89.99 /month plus taxes
TSI $62.95 /month plus taxes. <- this is the regular price after the 6 month deal listed below.

"Receive a $35 discount for 6 months and conclude the summer with some sizzlin’ savings. Pay $0 for your Wi-Fi enabled CGN-3 modem, $0 for activation, and $0 for shipping! Deals like this won’t stick around for long. Limited time offer, ends September 17."

The first six months the 150/15 plan is only $27.95/month with TSI and no contract or commitments.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-16, 10:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
As a side note, when we first migrated to TSI, we had unexplained outages of short duration for the first 12 or so months.
That's what happened here. The outages lasted up to 1+1/2 days with NO credits and NO resolution. They also wouldn't upgrade or replace the router which was still under warranty and required a firmware update. Every time the internet went out it would take 3 days to get a tech out and by that time they couldn't find the issue. I think the issue was with TSI's local equipment and there were other issues like delays upgrading TSI's equipment which caused more outages. To top it off, TSI overbilled my credit card for 3 months service I never received and refused to refund the money so I was stuck with their lousy service and support for an extra 3 months. By the time it was over I was also out the cost of a new router because they refused to honour the warranty on the one they sold. I switched to Rogers and it was rock solid from day one.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2019-09-16, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
TSI $62.95 /month plus taxes. <- this is the regular price after the 6 month deal listed below.
That must be a rate reduction. Last time I compared rates they were within $10 of Rogers price and the modem was extra. That Summer special is squarely aimed at students. The problem is that TSI takes on too much new business in September and it affects system reliability and support. That contributed significantly to the issues I had. Their internet was fine during the Summer but at the beginning of September it went south. That was very bad planning on their part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in