Start TV Discussion, Experiences, Questions and Reviews - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I would have to pay $70 for unlimited internet and $90 for a tv package that is close to Bell's Better package so total would be $160 plus tax as there is no other way to get channels like AMC for example.
This is not even close to reasonable pricing IMO.
You have to understand that Start has to pay the license holders for the rights to re-distribute their channels. 99% of the licenses in Canada are owned by Bell/Rogers- and we all know how much they love 3rd party IISP's and IPTV providers. You can't simply re-transmit whatever you want in Canada for free.

Rogers and Bell have ZERO interest in making things cheaper for 3rd parties- they license it out because they have to. However the regulatory pricing framework set by the CRTC is ridiculously expensive.

You don't think Start and the other providers would love to grossly undercut Bell/Rogers? Of course they would- but their profit margins are already razor thin. Rogers, Cogeco, Bell and the CRTC control everything.
emmy1500 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 09:26 AM

I now someone who has Start internet, TV and Home phone. I must say they have great customer service. Their picture quality seems good on the TV I saw it on. It might be a little slow to respond to skip back and skip forward commands which makes sense as it has to go back to their servers. I am not aware the box has much room if any for buffering content. The one thing that I find odd is not all channels are eligible to be PVR'd. The main exceptions being the Bell owned Movie Channels. Not sure what kind of restrictions or cost Bell might be asking for with regard to being able to record those channels but to me that is a huge disadvantage.

LONSat
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The Crave/HBO channels do not need to be recorded as everything is available on demand. This would simply create extra overhead on the servers. Other channels may restrict recording in their licensing agreements. Some channels restrict airings of their programming in order to increase revenue from other sources such as streaming services and disc sales. Preventing PVR recording would have the same effect.
cambo likes this.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 09:51 AM

You don't need to PVR movies/TV that are on demand.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 02:47 AM
Rookie

Start has many issues - always will - pricing is out of whack even as a TPIA compared to the others via roger's platform - would not recommend and their techies aren't that bright, imho
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Start's strong point is their customer service. I agree with that assessment for their TV service. Their internet service is comparable in price and other respects to other TPIAs. In recent months, Rogers has dropped their prices to TPIA levels so it makes TPIAs look less attractive. I've got to wonder what would happen to Rogers prices if the major TPIAs went out of business.
Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 11:20 AM

Prices would go up for sure. They are the only thing forcing the major Telco's to offer anything reasonable.

It's why they are so desperate to keep competition out of the cellular business as well.
Gentleman likes this.

Last edited by 57; 2019-07-04 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 04:31 PM

Rogers pricing is not improving. I was with their cable tv package and they doubled my bill, forcing me to take their new Ignite TV, internet-based. It was installed in my home 9 days ago and I haven't had my home phone working since then. They are sending a 4th tech to "fix" the problem, but I have no faith in them anymore. As soon as they fix what they broke, I want to switch my service, probably to Start TV. Is that internet based also, or is it cable? I hope whatever my phone problem is, it won't follow me to another company.
Gentleman likes this.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 11:59 PM

Start TV is internet based.

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-08-06, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Rogers uses a proprietary VoIP system for its phone service. Start telephone is standard VoIP like many other home phone services these days. VoIP is a crowded market. Better deals can be found, especially with DIY solutions like voip.ms or "free" services like Fongo.

Start uses a proprietary Android based IPTV box. It doesn't run standard Android apps. It would be worthwhile to compare Start TV with Teksavvy TV. Neither have all the features and channels that Rogers IPTV has and each has their own advantages. Start TV has PVR, Teksavvy TV doesn't. Start TV used a proprietary box, Teksavvy TV uses an app that is supported on several standard media boxes. Channel lists, packages and prices differ as well. Each service has deal killers for me. Teksavvy TV sources its channels from a Chatham area cable company. Not sure where Start TV sources its channels but picture quality is very good.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 12:00 PM

I have Start internet and home phone VDSL service. Been doing good for almost 2 years. No drop outs or having to reset the Smart RG 505N modem or the Grandstream ATA. The audio quality on VOIP is outstanding.

I don't think that Start TV is a good deal. You can get better with a bundle from Rogers or others.

The customer service is excellent. People who speak English, friendly, and are tech savvy. Start Comm. hires Canadian rather than outsourcing to some off shore site. Any company that supports Canadians is my preference.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 12:10 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgek View Post
Start Comm. hires Canadian rather than outsourcing to some off shore site. Any company that supports Canadians is my preference.
All Rogers CSRs are located in Canada - typically New Brunswick and Ontario. Bell, on the other hand, off-shores a lot of CSRs.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think that Start TV is a good deal.
I arrived at the same conclusion. The channel packages seem rather large and inflexible, requiring the most expensive package for some popular channels. That bumps the cost close to Rogers Ignite levels. PVR time has increased from 10 to 50 hours but is still not enough. The TV box is relatively expensive, proprietary and is limited in features. They need to address those issues to become competitive.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 04:55 PM

Bell, on the other hand, off-shores a lot of CSRs.

Thats why I left Bell! A Canadian company should be hiring locally. Why should our dollars go to supporting forign staff.

Yes I'm pleased that Rogers also supports Canadians!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in