Starting Home Theater - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-05-23, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Starting Home Theater

Well we have taken the step to finish off the basement and now comes the time to plan for a custom install of cables, speakers and an AV rack. I have been looking at the idea of wall plating every connection and yes I know it is going to be costly but it is something I want, to make a clean finish. I have searched and came up with a few hits on "Wall Plates" but was wondering if anyone knew of a place in Canada that made custom plates. I found a few in Austrailia and one in the states but that is a bit far form Alberta. I am looking at three different areas that will need them.

Computer room with a VGA, S video, RCA Audio, telephone and 2 RJ45

Behind TV VGA, 2HDMI, S video

Main Wall Plate built into AV rack
9 Banana connection pairs
2 HDMI
2 Subwoofer
2 RJ45
telephone
RCA Audio

I have pretty much found all of these in some form or another in a wall plate but not nearly what I need in one or two plates per room. I do not want to wire and install 4 or 5 plates in each room I think that would look silly. Hence the need/want for a custom builder. The one in the US will do all connections except the VGA, Phone and RJ45

I am also looking at a power distrubition/surge protector for my system. I really would like to stay away form the whole power bar situation and have a rack mount. I have read many posts on here about the monster gear and was wonderring what alternatives I have in a rack mount? Or if anyone has a great idea for mounting a power bar in an AV rack and hiding it I am all ears.

Any input would be greatly accepted, thank you in advance. I only want to do this once and do it right.

Later
Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-05-23, 08:46 PM

On the power side of the equation I've used and would recommend PS Audio's power equipment. In particular, their Power Plant Premier is great (http://www.psaudio.com/products/premier_power_plant.asp) and is rack mountable. In addition to providing surge protection, this product makes a significant difference (both sonically and visually in your home theater) by regenerating the power and isolating your equipment from one another and other 'electrically noisy' appliances in your home.

I know it's not cheap but there are offerings available on www.audiogon.com from time-to-time that aren't full price.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-05-23, 11:44 PM

Lightbulb Go no further than Home Depot...

I don't know what you mean by custom wall plates but I think you're talking about something like below. This is my Black Ice wiring to-date but I still have a way to go. Note that the yellow wire is inwall speaker wire 12 gauge (I believe or it may be 14; too tired to walk downstairs). For [TV] cable it's RG6, two runs per RCA of 4 conductor Cat3 (max 40' run), and for data Cat5e plenum... Though I came back to HD to find they had Cat5e Indoor/Outdoor at .70 a metre; the cheapest of all Cat5 there (someone screwed up I think since it should be the most expensive). Here's the pic...

I got all this at Home Depot save the component video. For the DVI/HDMI & component video/S video, I ordered Rapid Run HT cabling from Tiger Direct. I still have the DVI to install (which can be switched to HDMI in the future; a feature of Rapid Run cabling).

For the other stuff, it's all Levitron components: speaker/LFE connectors (9 black/red pairs), RG6 cable (2), Cat5e data (3), Cat3 telephone (1), RCA (2 for subwoofer; uses 4 conductor Cat3 wire). Their all modules that snap into wall plate brackets decora style. For my power to the projector and subwoofer, I'm putting in two electrical "inlets" (opposite of "outlet") so that I can control/condition the power to the sub and projector.

Cheers,
Kaoru

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-05-24, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys I really want to do this only once and do it right and have it look good.

Kaoru I have been following your black ice project and I must say great work. As for what I mean be custom wall plates take a look at the link I will be ordering from here. Although they do not work with phone, RJ45 or VGA connections. I can make due it a different wall plate for them.

http://www.supercellaudio.com/Pages/Custom%20Plates.htm

samurray I just looked at your link and found this

http://www.psaudio.com/products/powe...ormoreinfo.asp

Thanks again
Phil
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-05-24, 10:38 AM

Smile Sorry about that...

I guess you read my message but the pic wasn't working so you could not see my setup... Obviously its not trimmed out with plate covers.

If you notice that you can do exactly what you linked to... the Levitron (sp) connector have Decora brackets (1-6 modules per bracket) and you pick & choose which modules. With a quad box thats 24 connectors. All the modules are either push block (DATA, TEL, RCA) or screw (Speaker, RG6).

I didn't spend alot of money either if you buy bulk. The Rapid Run stuff use special wall plates that connect to the Rapid Run cable. This provide future proofing since change out the wall plates (ie. DVI to HDMI) and Bob's your uncle. You can see the component video/SVideo wall plate in the pic.

Cheers,
Kaoru
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-05-25, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Well I have my custom wall plates on the way and will post pics when I figure out how to get the image out of the pdf file. I also made a couple more additions. I decided on a PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF40 for my power/surge protector. I think with 12 rear plugs and a 6490 Joules of Surge Protection this will be a great addition.

http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_det...duct_Id=178914

While in the store I decided on some new inwall speakers for my front effects and rear effects. I went with 4 Paradigm CS-60R-SM's, I decided abandon the idea of mounting my ILS10's in the ceiling for my main rears and put them inwall on the back for my rear effects. I also think when in 7ch stereo that this will give me a better sound.

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...-2-28.paradigm

Any inputs on how high I sould mount the side set of CS-60R-SM's would be helpfull.

Thanks guys
Later
Phil
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-05-31, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Well I purchased my AV room lighting the other day and the switches today. I went with 6 pot lights, a 6500K for bias lighting and goig with 3 possible 4 wall lights. All will be controled on a Lutron Spacer system with a master at the main enterance and then 3 IR switchs on the far wall which is the display wall

50"PXU,RX-V2700,PF40,HD DVD,Xbox360,BEV HD9200, Epson 720PJ on 106"HD Vivid Pro-Cinema 1.8,Infinity & Paradigms
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-06-04, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Well I have all the wiring completed and will be getting ready to do a mock up soon I will take some pics when I have all the speakers in place. Picked up the PF40 today as well, very nice looking addition to the HT setup.

Later
Phil

50"PXU,RX-V2700,PF40,HD DVD,Xbox360,BEV HD9200, Epson 720PJ on 106"HD Vivid Pro-Cinema 1.8,Infinity & Paradigms
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-06-08, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Well I picked up my custom wall plates the other day which I had to order form the US form a place called Supercell Audio. I must say the look great and were a lot cheaper than I could have made them for. I still have one on back order which will be here mid June. I must say I am impressed with the cost and the product.

Later
Phil

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-06-08, 08:15 PM

wow very nice wall plates
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-06-09, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I was impressed to say the least and there are custom made to my exact needs. I just hope I remembered everything and added future connections. The only thing I can think I may have missed is dual coax for PVR but I can just buy and add a single.

Later
Phil

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-06-12, 01:27 AM

For my install I am using decora insert style plates with keystone jacks. Calrad makes some nice inserts that are recessed into the plate to give a cleaner look. I will post up some pictures when my order finally goes through. I guess I should also add the think I like about the keystone insert type is you can change the plate in the future without having to make any major changes.

Last edited by Stonewall78; 2007-06-12 at 01:33 AM.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-06-12, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Stonewall I will be using those for my cat5 and telephone and was hoping to make something up for VGA do you know if they have this option?

later
Phil

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

I decided to go ahead and frame in for an inwall center channel speaker underneith the plasma instead of either hanging it above or putting it on a shelf or stand below. I have it so the tweeter level is 32" the same height as the two main fronts. The wall total length is 128" and the center speaker is centered at 64" with either front going to be between 45-50" from the center channel making a total of 100" apart. This will leave just over a foot from either wall. Do you think that this will be plenty of space away from the walls and is the front speaker spacing adequet?

Thanks in advance for any input
Phil

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 2007-06-15, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Well I have finished the rough in of the box locations on the main display wall. I have the picture in my head and know that all but two plugs and a light switch box will be showing all others will be hidden with the tv, stand or speakers. Have you ever had and idea that was great and then you start thinking outside the box? Well I skipped ahead a few steps after looking at my master piece and one word came to mind. DRYWALL. Uhhh I think it is going ot be a nightmare to do this wall...wait I know it is going to be one. Have a look at the pic in the link below and you tell me. I count 12 boxes which = twelve dry wall holes to mannage to cut.
Thanks
Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in