Grounding OTA / Dish / CATV / Telecom - See Post 1 - Page 78 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1156 of 1163 (permalink) Old 2018-06-12, 08:20 PM
Veteran

There is a difference but I can't tell you which ones to get. I can tell you that price alone is no indication of a good grounding block. Just like splitters, a plain, reasonably priced product is often the best. Grounding blocks are often just barrel connectors mounted on or in a bracket so they will have the same considerations. Those are frequency response, impedance match and quality of materials. Loss is often an indication of those three factors. For OTA, frequency response needs to be at least 50MHz to 1000MHz. Impedance needs to be 75 ohms across the full frequency range. The materials need to be resistant to oxidation and corrosion. Tolerances need to be close enough to provide a secure, water tight mechanical connection and a reliable electrical connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1157 of 1163 (permalink) Old 2018-06-12, 09:38 PM
Veteran

You won't notice any difference in signal quality from one to the next. But you may find that one lasts longer in the weather than another does.

My two cents, if it's good enough for your local cable company to use, it's good enough for your antenna system.

Sure you are aware that OTA signals only go up to 700 MHz, soon to be 600 MHz so I wouldn't sweat that.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #1158 of 1163 (permalink) Old 2018-06-13, 12:22 AM
Veteran

I was thinking that UHF still goes up to 83. 1000MHz is for cable TV. It won't hurt though and indicates a better quality component.

post #1159 of 1163 (permalink) Old 2018-06-13, 03:14 PM
Veteran

Coax Ground Blocks are all pretty much the SAME, although the Spark Gap Distance may vary a bit between units, resulting in different break down voltages....but since that voltage will be quite HIGH, I don't think it will make any difference. Cheapest is "good enough".

For BETTER protection against Static Electricity Buildup, see my fol. post from 6 years ago:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/186-...ml#post1463911
PS: Nothing more can be done to protect equipment against a DIRECT LIGHTNING HIT.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #1160 of 1163 (permalink) Old 2018-06-13, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I was thinking that UHF still goes up to 83. 1000MHz is for cable TV.
Rogers is moving up to 1200 and even 1700 MHz.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #1161 of 1163 (permalink) Old 2018-06-13, 11:03 PM
Veteran

I'm not surprised. Satellite TV has used up to 2400MHz for years and the components to handle those frequencies are widely available. Meanwhile, OTA is being squeezed in to lower and fewer frequencies. The funny thing is that the higher UHF frequencies were originally assigned to TV because they were considered unusable for anything else. Most TV stations didn't want them either because they didn't work well with early TVs . Now they are deemed too valuable to be used for TV.

@holl_ands , don't confuse grounding blocks and surge protectors. Not all grounding blocks are made the same. Better materials and tolerances can result in lower loss, especially over time. Cheaply made grounding blocks can create more SWR and suffer from bad AC or DC connections due to a variety of reasons.
post #1162 of 1163 (permalink) Old 2018-06-14, 03:15 PM
Veteran

Maybe....maybe NOT....can you provide any EVIDENCE to back up your conjecture???

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #1163 of 1163 (permalink) Old 2018-06-14, 07:50 PM
Veteran

What conjecture? I've experienced signal loss from poorly made or corroded barrel connectors and grounding blocks.

Tags
antenna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in