Polk Audio RTIA9 floor standing speakers as rears? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By eljay
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-03-01, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Polk Audio RTIA9 floor standing speakers as rears?

Hello!

So I saw a pretty big sale for speakers I was interested in, Polk Audio RTIA9's, $400 cad each, and bought two. However the website checkout made an error and ended up purchasing 4, and i didn't notice till they were on my door step.

I am looking into surround speakers as well, specifically the Polk Audio FxiA series, however i noticed that even with (current) sales, those smaller speakers cost more than the RTIA9's.

My question is , should i just keep them and use them as surround rears? Or possibly surround sides, and stick with the FxiA series for surround rears? Or just return them...

I am aware of the large power requirement, but aside from that?

what do you think?

Edit: I have a large basement, about 26ft by 30ft. Id say i watch movies, and listen to high fidelity music equally.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-03-01, 03:12 PM
Premium Supporter

Tough call, IMO: They're likely overkill for surround duty, especially if you're running a sub (or two) -BUT- you got them for a very good price and you've got the space to house them. I'd probably keep them.
r-kenn likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-03-01, 06:21 PM
Veteran

There is no reason why they cannot be used as surrounds. The main issue is floor space and it sounds like you have lots. It's too bad you didn't get six. That would be amazing for music.

Speakers don't have power requirements. They will work with any power amp. Speakers have efficiency ratings with less efficient speakers requiring more power for the same volume. The power issue arises when people overdrive low powered amps to get high volumes from inefficient speakers. That causes a lot of high frequency distortion which can damage tweeters, which tend to have fairly low power ratings. (Power rating is the amount of power the speaker can accept without being damaged. It's the opposite of so called power requirements.) Most modern speakers are typically quite efficient so that tends to not be as much of an issue as it was. It's also not an issue if you don't try to drive them at very high volume levels that cause the amplifier to distort. There also isn't typically much difference between the efficiency ratings of tower and bookshelf speakers of the same make and model so exchanging them won't make much difference.
r-kenn likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-03-01, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you Eljay, and Ex Dilbert for your responses.

Sounds like I was way off base about power and I'm glad you cleared it up for me ExDilbert, I appreciate the information. I think I'm just going to count myself lucky and keep them. Looking into a Polk Audio csia6 for the centre, and then I'll be set, at least for 2018..

Thanks again!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in