Raspberry pi and ceiling speaker setup in new bathroom?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-01-31, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Raspberry pi and ceiling speaker setup in new bathroom??

So will be starting out on finishing my basement soon and one my main focuses right now is the bathroom. I really wanted to add 2 small speakers in the ceiling connected by bluetooth preferably.

What I have been thinking is using a rp3 and the touchscreen in the smartpi case mounted to wall. I would most likely just run kodi on it. Do you think bluetooth would have any audio latency issues? I wanted bluetooth in case I want to also play content from my phone but I guess if I had speakers that have both aux and blueooth that could work.

Regarding power to the pi and monitor, since I will be running electrical can it hardwired somehow like the lights and outlets would be or would I have to install a plug inside the wall for the adapter to plug into?

If you have ant recommendations or any alternatives to my idea I would love to hear it. Even other software to kodi that might work for my bathroom environment.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-01, 09:12 PM
Veteran

What is this setup going to be used for? I've got to think there is a simpler solution. Would a smart TV or a wall mounted touch screen computer do the job? There are some very small Bluetooth speakers that could be wall mounted or sit on a shelf. Some are also waterproof. Many soundbar speakers support Bluetooth and can be easily wall mounted.

Quote:
Do you think bluetooth would have any audio latency issues?
Probably but latency can be compensated for in some software (Kodi) and hardware.

Electronics items with power cords must use a receptacle and it must be accessible. Keeping the setup simple will also keep the wiring simple. Powering surface mounted devices can be accomplished by using a recessed receptacle.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I find smart tv software to be crap imo. A computer is the best way to go thus the Pi being a very small form factor comptuer.

I wanted to be able to use Spotify, Tunein and one two other music players along with being able to stream Sportnetnow.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 05:55 PM
Veteran

I tend to agree that many smart TVs have poorly written and badly supported firmware. A few TVs have Android which may be a decent option.

Quote:
Spotify, Tunein and one two other music players along with being able to stream Sportnetnow.
An RPi with Kodi probably won't do all those. Paid streaming services do not share enough information with open source developers to let them support the product. An Android TV box would be a better idea since a lot of media companies provide Android apps to use with their services. I use Spotify and Tunein with Android and Rogers Anywhere TV is supported (though the app is low rated.) I believe Bell Fibe TV has an Android TV app as well. With the possible exception of Tunein, none of those services is available on Kodi, which I use regularly.

Another option may be to use Miracast to cast a phone or tablet screen to the TV. That would require a phone or tablet with a Miracast app and a Miracast HDMI dongle on the TV.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 07:33 PM

As an alternative, Sonos Play 1's are humidity resistant so suitable for bathroom use. (not water resistant though)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 09:30 PM
Veteran

Sonos makes fine products, if you can afford them. There are much cheaper options that are water resistant and provide decent sound. The UE ROLL 2 UE BOOM 2 can even be taken into the shower, tub or pool without damage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in