Anyone using these drywall "decoupling"items? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-09-05, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Question Anyone using these drywall "decoupling"items?

I am looking to replace my 12'x24' ceiling in my audio room so as to stop sound from going to the upstairs rooms. I plan on using these rubber mounted items that screw into the joists and the drywall is then hung form these,when used with resilient channeling.
I was originally looking into GenieClips,only because they are available in Canada,although they are not cheap($5.40 a piece,I need 80)....anyways,I notice there are a few other vendors that have similar devices that do basically the same thing..not sure who were the originatorsof theses isolation devices,but there are GenieClips,QuietClips,IsoMaxclips and RSCI-1 clips and probably a few more if I look and just curious if anyone here has looked into or used any of these products with good success?....if so which ones?Thanks,Huck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 03:09 PM

Are you also putting the Roxul sound and fire proofing stuff in the ceiling. Makes a big difference that stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2016-08-14, 06:26 PM

RSIC clips certainly do work but only as good as their application. Sound mostly travels through structure and that being the case, your ceiling is only part of the solution. Your walls also have to be disconnected from the structure, aka using the RSIC clips as well. Just doing the ceiling will lower the transmission of sound but not eliminate it (depends on the sound). Of course, sonopan screwed to the underside of the top floor substrate with Roxul SnS for cavity, RSIC and channels, then dry wall (preferably double drywall with Green Glue) is the best you can do.

My thoughts,
Kaoru

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-04, 09:41 AM

I used to own a duplex where I lived in the main floor unit. Above our bedroom was the kitchen of the rental unit and noise transmission was problematic. So here is how I mostly solved the issue. Keep in mind the original ceiling height in this house was 10 feet.

I framed up a drop ceiling using 2 x 8's that was a few inches below the original plaster ceiling and filled the cavities between the 2 x 8's with Roxul noise cancelling insulation. On the under side of the newly framed ceiling, I then installed galvanized "Z" channel across the 2 x 8's to which I fastened sheets of 5/8 inch drywall. The Z channel allows the drywall to "float" and be isolated from the new structural frame work thereby acoustically isolating it.

This plus the addition of a new bedroom closet really seemed to drastically reduce the noise transmission from the upper unit.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-09, 06:53 PM
Rookie

I used the same construction. Excellent noise reduction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in